Any Cricket Fans on P.ie?

Oscar Wilde

Hi, my first post..
Being a second generation Irishman, I've grown up with cricket in England.
Over the years I've really got into it..
The sport allows much self-reflection as test matches go on for 5 days ...
The ashes contest is underway down under.
I listen to it on BBC 5 Live Extra midnight till dawn.

Irelands Eoin Morgan is on the bench for the test matches, next in line if any injuries.
He will play in one-day and 20/20.. a superb cricketer from Dublin.

http://asheschallenge.cricket.com.au/asheschallenge/images/urn.jpg

Any fans here, or perhaps gamblers who like a bet :)

Eoin Morgan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Goldencircle

I never play cricket. It requires one to assume such indecent postures.

harpsman

yes-lookin bad for england in 1st test-hopefully they ll bring morgan in for the painful trott

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I'll watch the one day stuff, when teams get into the last 10 overs or so.. or the 20/20 stuff..but good Lord Jesus, you'd want to be bored to sit through one of those 5 day tests.. mind you, I went to one once in South Africa, with a Scotsman, and what the two of us knew about cricket could have been written on the back of a box of Majors.. and got absolutely hammered on 2 rand cans of Castle.. was a great day!!!!

Oscar Wilde

It'll be interesting to see how many cricket fans we have - I enjoy the tests.
Martin McGuinness is a big fan so you are not alone.
Crickey that's amazing sport /digger / blue.
I know he like his chess ..

lets hope the dizzy rascals don't hi-jack the thread
and start with the West-Brit nonsense ....

Presumably you're able to tune into 5 Live Sports Xtra for the
very excellent commentary ... its very good .. 11:30 till 8.00 am

and the inimitable cricinfo.com gives a desktop score also

onlyonpaper

Fantastic day yesterday. How England didn't take wickets in the first hour I'll never know. But Hussey and Haddin played very well. Wouldn't discount England forcing a draw. Very little between the teams I would say but I'm delighted Australia have put it up to England. They were overconfident. I love listening to David Lloyd's commentaries. Bloody ungodly hours watching it but I tape the second half of day and try and watch it during next day......Great Game !!!!

Cruimh

I'll watch the one day stuff, when teams get into the last 10 overs or so.. or the 20/20 stuff..but good Lord Jesus, you'd want to be bored to sit through one of those 5 day tests.. mind you, I went to one once in South Africa, with a Scotsman, and what the two of us knew about cricket could have been written on the back of a box of Majors.. and got absolutely hammered on 2 rand cans of Castle.. was a great day!!!!
For many people - myself included - A good commentary team is make or break for many tests. Others are far more apparent - such as in the old days of the Windies.

Oscar Wilde

lol.. that'll do

I've only ever been to a local county game..
amazing to have the unemployed and the toffs
sitting side by side discussing cricket.....

Oscar Wilde

Fantastic day yesterday. How England didn't take wickets in the first hour I'll never know. But Hussey and Haddin played very well. Wouldn't discount England forcing a draw. Very little between the teams I would say but I'm delighted Australia have put it up to England. They were overconfident. I love listening to David Lloyd's commentaries. Bloody ungodly hours watching it but I tape the second half of day and try and watch it during next day......Great Game !!!!
yes England were unlucky with a couple of early decisions, but the pair batted beautifully.
Draw poss.. but I wouldn't bet on it..
Great series .. seems you like sky..
what I do is have sky on in the background ( miniature)
but prefer the TMS special commentary of Boycs, aggers, CMJ
Its not as stuffy as botham/hussein ... more banter/craic.. each to their own though.

to the uniniated, no-one sits for 8hrs for 5 days ..lol
you move around, have your dinner, blog, etc .. tune in when there's a wicket.

"The English are not very spiritual people,
so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity."

George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Cruimh? care to pick that one up ;)

Jakey

Yes, I'm a big cricket fan. England have been a bit unlucky in this test but one must credit the Aussies for making the most of their opportunities. I doubt we'll see much of Morgan in this series since, if anything, I expect England to consider dropping a batsman and playing 5 bowlers in the forthcoming tests. They definitely look a bowler light.

Mushroom

What he said! Anderson bowled superbly in that first session.

Had to stop watching in the early hours due to the savage thunderstorm overhead - I was afraid that the satellite dish or the house would be struck! (I heard recently that a house in Raheny was struck last night.)

Last edited:

onlyonpaper

yes England were unlucky with a couple of early decisions, but the pair batted beautifully.
Draw poss.. but I wouldn't bet on it..
Great series .. seems you like sky..
what I do is have sky on in the background ( miniature)
but prefer the TMS special commentary of Boycs, aggers, CMJ
Its not as stuffy as botham/hussein ... more banter/craic.. each to their own though.

to the uniniated, no-one sits for 8hrs for 5 days ..lol
you move around, have your dinner, blog, etc .. tune in when there's a wicket.

"The English are not very spiritual people,
so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity."

George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Cruimh? care to pick that one up ;)

onlyonpaper

Would you know if Henry Blofeld does do any commentaries on this series. Wonderfully eccentric guy with a great turn of phrase. True successor of John Arlott and Brian Johnson but haven't heard of him recently

Oscar Wilde

jdckelly

been watching the ashes and generally enjoying it before i fall asleep at an ungodly hour and i'm not normally a cricket fan

ManfredJudge

This looks like an intriguing series. Jack Banister was bemoaning England's plan of using only 4 bowlers to bring in an extra batsman in the line up and then they do what they did last night, I mean, yesterday.

onlyonpaper

Blowers
here's a podcast 21st November 2010.. enjoy
BBC - Podcasts - The Ashes with Test Match Special

haven't had time to listen to it yet, so don't know if he'll fly out.
Oscar; Thank you. Great to hear his voice again. Hopefully he will have some part to play as the Cricket continues after Ashes with One Day Int'ls, 20-20 Intl's and then the I.C.C. World Cup right up to end March.

Great fightback by England last night. Looks like a draw unless England pile on runs quickly and see can they get a result

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies