• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Any electoral future for The Green Party??

Socratus O' Pericles

A study of various threads has led me to the conclusion the Greens will lose Dáil seats in:

Carlow /Kilkenny
Dun Laoghaire
Dublin Mid-West
Dublin South East

And could even be in danger in
Dublin N.
and

Dublin S.

They have no Councillors in Dublin (apart from a guy on Balbriggan Town Council which is of itself a historical anachronism) and a couple of other councillors scattered here and there.

They don't have much chance of gains in Cork, Louth or Galway where they do have a presence.

The Party is split between real Greens and Greens lite I feel.

Will they be trounced at the next election and have to go back to their roots to be decontaminated from this spell in Government with FF?

adamirer

They' re absolutely dead in the water in Dun Laoighaire, Carlow/Kilkenny, they're in severe trouble in Dublin South East, and deep trouble in Dublin South & Dublin Mid-West (mainly because it's Gogarty) and less trouble in Dublin North.

I think Sargent is the only one for a good prospect of being returned -Gogarty would be the best bet if he was any of the other 5 TDs and not himself... I had thought they were a safe bet for a 'ZERO', but I'm thinking Sargent handled himself with a degree of class and might be ok.

locke

A spell of them in opposition with Labour making hard decisions in government will revive them a bit.

What kind of elected representation is left though?

Three county councillors - Clare, Kilkenny and Louth.

Where do they have town councillors?

Balbriggan
Youghal
Kinsale

Last edited:

RichardDeClare

1 maybe 2 seats left (Sergeant and Cuffe) but thats a push.

Any party with an ounce of electoral strategy would be targetting their seats right now, the soft underbelly to this current government.

And it is a sad day. The Greens were seduced by Bertie and have not shown any backbone since succumbing to the FF Beast. There is still a place in Ireland for a Green Party but it must be a genuine Green Party and not some farce that it is now.

Wow, carbon tax and new lightbulbs and all those other green initiatives well done there, but at what price!!

carlovian

1 maybe 2 seats left (Sergeant and Cuffe) but thats a push.

Any party with an ounce of electoral strategy would be targetting their seats right now, the soft underbelly to this current government.

And it is a sad day. The Greens were seduced by Bertie and have not shown any backbone since succumbing to the FF Beast. There is still a place in Ireland for a Green Party but it must be a genuine Green Party and not some farce that it is now.

Wow, carbon tax and new lightbulbs and all those other green initiatives well done there, but at what price!!
Cuffe has no chance in Dun Laoghaire (its been reduced to 4 seats)

If i was losing my job in 2 years id make sure i had my ministerial penision sorted.

goosebump

Swings and Roundabouts.

We'll be having this conversation about Labour in 5 years time.

Labour have created an army of Hostages to Fortune over the last 3 years, all of which will be around to haunt them in a FG led Government that has to nurse a structural deficit of €14bn for the duration of the next Dail.

The cuts that the Greens have had to stand over will be pretty timid when compared to what Labour will have to defend.

jmcc

They lost out on a natural seat on Waterford city council because their candidate was a Galwegian serial objector.

Regards...jmcc

RichardDeClare

Cuffe has no chance in Dun Laoghaire (its been reduced to 4 seats)

If i was losing my job in 2 years id make sure i had my ministerial penision sorted.
Apologies, there are so many Green TDs i got confused. The second seat , and this is a pure outside chance is Gogarty not Cuffe. Whatever his fits of madness and general mischief he will be the only Green TD who will not have been a minister and this might play favourably with the public.

Craiced

The Green Party is finished. They are an irretrievably damaged brand.

The grassroot greens need to form a new party, possibly a spin off from the transition towns movement.

Socratus O' Pericles

The Green Party is finished. They are an irretrievably damaged brand.

The grassroot greens need to form a new party, possibly a spin off from the transition towns movement.

Quote I thought that also.

Any hope for Eamonn Ryan?

Fear Rua

Apologies, there are so many Green TDs i got confused. The second seat , and this is a pure outside chance is Gogarty not Cuffe. Whatever his fits of madness and general mischief he will be the only Green TD who will not have been a minister and this might play favourably with the public.

The whole Dublin Mid West is in flux... Gogarty, Harney, Tuffy nad Curran at present..

Will Harney stand ?? FG will gain a seat here, Francis Fitzgerald, Curran will hold his seat but no second seat. Tuffy is a weak TD but will hold for Labour.

So where to the fourth seat.

Dublin S/East will be a fun constituency also. PD's gone, Gormley in big bother, Will Ruairí Quinn be Lord Mayor of Dublin ?? Etc etc

brigg

They have no Councillors in Dublin (apart from a guy on Balbriggan Town Council which is of itself a historical anachronism) and a couple of other councillors scattered here and there.
The councilor in Balbriggan was more than likely elected for being a well known face about town, associated with the local FÁS office, disabilty groups, etc. You could say he was elected (barely), in spite of running on a Green Party ticket, rather than because of it.
A second GP candidate fared even worse.
Of course, Trevor Sargent is a resident of the town, so the Greens should have been expected do at least a little better here than elsewhere. Both candidates performed pretty poorly, all things considered.

redhead101

Labour have created an army of Hostages to Fortune over the last 3 years, all of which will be around to haunt them in a FG led Government that has to nurse a structural deficit of €14bn for the duration of the next Dail.
Such as?

Craiced

Quote I thought that also.

Any hope for Eamonn Ryan?
Before the" George Lee fiasco”, I’ve of said that Ryan had not an organic carrot's chance in Chernobyl of getting elected.

Since George has resigned, I think the landscape has changed. FF will loose a seat to Labour. I call it 1 FF 1 LAB 2 FG and 1 GREEN

carlovian

Apologies, Apologies ????

With the greatest respect...

F*** you Mr Stagg, F*** you

(thats the guy !!!)

goosebump

They lost out on a natural seat on Waterford city council because their candidate was a Galwegian serial objector.

Regards...jmcc
Waterford needs as many serial objectors as it can get its hands on, as do most counties in Ireland.

john scott

A study of various threads has led me to the conclusion the Greens will lose Dáil seats in:

Carlow /Kilkenny
Dun Laoghaire
Dublin Mid-West
Dublin South East

And could even be in danger in
Dublin N.
and

Dublin S.

They don't have much chance of gains in Cork, Louth or Galway where they do have a presence.

The Party is split between real Greens and Greens lite I feel.

Will they be trounced at the next election and have to go back to their roots to be decontaminated from this spell in Government with FF?
They'll certainly lose a seat in Carlow/Kilkenny. Mary White got in on transfers last time, many of them Labour and FG. She won't get them next time and FF won't have many to give her.