• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Any remaining lingering doubts about Enda Kenny

west'sawake

How many of us here who have written about the Enda Factor, without any ill intent, but only goodwill towards F.G, think it has been put to bed after his Ardfheis speech?

Here's one who still remains unconvinced, that obamaesque cliche didn't help. I'll still vote for F.G in a General Election, just call me an accidental blueshirt, by default.

Last edited:

Cyberspaced

As a member of FG who started off party membership as an Enda-sceptic, I have to say I have been undeniably converted.

I suppose it's fair to say my original dissatisfaction with him was purely down to cosmetics, in that I didn't take a particular warming to his media presence. As time has passed by I've become more appreciaitve of the fact that a good orator does not a leader make.

To truly appreciate Enda's leadership qualities it's necessary to compare and contrast his leadership style with that of his opposite number, An Taoiseach. The autocratic approach of Mr.Cowen is certainly at odds with the Enda Kenny approach. Fans and defenders of Enda have spent the last few months trying to convey this leadership brand to those who dislike Kenny and in his speech last night he made clear the difference between himself and Cowen:
When I took on the leadership of Fine Gael, the scale of the challenge was huge. Many said that the situation was hopeless, but I've worked hard, built solid foundations, picked a strong team and encouraged their creativity so that we could recover and grow. And we have.
Many people view this current economic crisis as a hopless situation. Last night Enda's positive approach proved the he and indeed Fine Gael do not believe this situation is "hopeless", but that we can get through this together. As James Dillon once put it, "United we stand, divided we fall". This is as true for Ireland now as it is for Fine Gael, and a consolidated and coherent approach by all is needed to get us out of this mess in the next 5 years. Kenny will not take the "one man, my way or no way" approach of Brian Cowen. He will use his leadership qualities to delegate and manage the creativity we need to get ourselves back on track.

I was quite anxious leading up to the speech last night bacause I, and others viewed this speech as Enda's final chance to expel the negativity felt towards him by significant minority of the Irish people. He delivered. The speech, whilst not remarkable hit the nail on the head. From conversing with people today, Fine Gaelers and otherwise, it is clear that people now accept that despite his faults and despite his personal satisfaction ratings, it is now his time. Those who still believe Cowen is still of a better ilk than Enda cannot truly believe that with conviction.

The game is up. Change is needed and regardless of whether you think Kenny is good or not, he has shown himself to be the best leader in Leinster House by a long way. We don't need the personality of the year here. We need leadership. Where else are we going to get it?

CookieMonster

No, I'm not convinced. He's done great things for the party, that much is obvious. But he's done little else outside of that regrowth since.

Almanac

How many of us here who have had written about the Enda Factor, without any ill intent, but only goodwill towards F.G, think it has been put to bed after his Ardfheis speech?

Here's one who still remains unconvinced, that obamaesque cliche didn't help. I'll still vote for F.G in a General Election, just call me an accidental blueshirt, by default.
The doubts are mostly being engineered by the media. You'd think there was something wrong with being a nice person or a decent man as if that's not exactly what the country needs (not that I have all that much faith in Kenny's inherent decentness, though I suspect he is a lot better than most around the Dail at the moment).

Enda's supposed weaknesses have also been greatly exaggerated, manufactured even by the media mind-moulders. Look at Bertie Ahern. He was a stuttering, mumbling and inarticulate public speaker, something which never changed thoughout the course of his career, yet he is acclaimed as a great politician and leader. :confused:

There was a good article in the Post on this subject today but it's not available online. Basically it said that Fine Gaelers still doubting Kenny need to snap out of it.

Kenny is most definitely as good a leader as Bertie Ahern or Brian Cowen but that's not saying much in my opinion.

The likes of Declan Ganley, considered just in terms of his natural aptitudes, stands head and shoulders above them. Gilmore ain't bad either.

west'sawake

The doubts are mostly being engineered by the media. You'd think there was something wrong with being a nice person or a decent man as if that's not exactly what the country needs (not that I have all that much faith in Kenny's inherent decentness, though I suspect he is a lot better than most around the Dail at the moment).

Enda's supposed weaknesses have also been greatly exaggerated, manufactured even by the media mind-moulders. Look at Bertie Ahern. He was a stuttering, mumbling and inarticulate public speaker, something which never changed thoughout the course of his career, yet he is acclaimed as a great politician and leader. :confused:

There was a good article in the Post on this subject today but it's not available online. Basically it said that Fine Gaelers still doubting Kenny need to snap out of it.

Kenny is most definitely as good a leader as Bertie Ahern or Brian Cowen but that's not saying much in my opinion.

The likes of Declan Ganley, considered just in terms of his natural aptitudes, stands head and shoulders above them. Gilmore ain't bad either.

Almanac,

That last line is going to get you in bother, but ya know tis true, so here's another one in the firing line. You might get off the hook though with the compliment to Gilmore, you cute hoor.

west'sawake

As a member of FG who started off party membership as an Enda-sceptic, I have to say I have been undeniably converted.

I suppose it's fair to say my original dissatisfaction with him was purely down to cosmetics, in that I didn't take a particular warming to his media presence. As time has passed by I've become more appreciaitve of the fact that a good orator does not a leader make.

To truly appreciate Enda's leadership qualities it's necessary to compare and contrast his leadership style with that of his opposite number, An Taoiseach. The autocratic approach of Mr.Cowen is certainly at odds with the Enda Kenny approach. Fans and defenders of Enda have spent the last few months trying to convey this leadership brand to those who dislike Kenny and in his speech last night he made clear the difference between himself and Cowen:

Many people view this current economic crisis as a hopless situation. Last night Enda's positive approach proved the he and indeed Fine Gael do not believe this situation is "hopeless", but that we can get through this together. As James Dillon once put it, "United we stand, divided we fall". This is as true for Ireland now as it is for Fine Gael, and a consolidated and coherent approach by all is needed to get us out of this mess in the next 5 years. Kenny will not take the "one man, my way or no way" approach of Brian Cowen. He will use his leadership qualities to delegate and manage the creativity we need to get ourselves back on track.

I was quite anxious leading up to the speech last night bacause I, and others viewed this speech as Enda's final chance to expel the negativity felt towards him by significant minority of the Irish people. He delivered. The speech, whilst not remarkable hit the nail on the head. From conversing with people today, Fine Gaelers and otherwise, it is clear that people now accept that despite his faults and despite his personal satisfaction ratings, it is now his time. Those who still believe Cowen is still of a better ilk than Enda cannot truly believe that with conviction.

The game is up. Change is needed and regardless of whether you think Kenny is good or not, he has shown himself to be the best leader in Leinster House by a long way. We don't need the personality of the year here. We need leadership. Where else are we going to get it?

Thoughtful and interesting response. Thanks

Ah Well

In fairness to Kenny, he was one of the first, and got flack for it, for doing a u turn after saying on Matt Cooper's 'the last word' that is was token politics or words to that effect.
Yep he just needs to increase the pain to 10% from 5% plus get the rest of the hoors in the party to do likewise and particularly the ones not taking any cut now up to 10% .... t'would mean a lot and doing otherwise does not enamour FG to the populace ... they really should have the cop on and do this

Cyberspaced

Thoughtful and interesting response. Thanks
I think it's also worth noting that there still remains an element of the membership who retain the Enda-scepticism I once had no problem professing. Whilst last night was not at all enough to change this situation, I do believe it gave these members a glimmer of hope in our leader that they thought would never exist.

His performance in the chamber during the week will play another big role. He's climbed one hurdle this week. If he can climb another, in sucessfully tearing up Cowen's emergency budget in front of the Irish people, it will go another bit towards intilling a confidence in him from the Irish people.

west'sawake

I think it's also worth noting that there still remains an element of the membership who retain the Enda-scepticism I once had no problem professing. Whilst last night was not at all enough to change this situation, I do believe it gave these members a glimmer of hope in our leader that they thought would never exist.

His performance in the chamber during the week will play another big role. He's climbed one hurdle this week. If he can climb another, in sucessfully tearing up Cowen's emergency budget in front of the Irish people, it will go another bit towards instilling a confidence in him from the Irish people.

To do that, he will have to improve his grasp of economics, he cannot afford to always be giving this ground to Richard Bruton, it simply reinforces in the mind of the public Kenny's shortcomings and reminds them of why Bertie could defeat him so decisively in that seminal T.V debate in 2007.

I for one would love him to knock the socks of Cowan; who can forget BIFFO's despicable and bullying dismissiveness of Kenny in the not too distant past. Enda needs to shape up and hit him where it hurts. Cowan's prevarication this past year, and his excess when Minister for Finance have made the situation a lot worse than it need have been. Kenny must deliver the blows not Bruton and not Gilmore.

hiding behind a poster

Yep he just needs to increase the pain to 10% from 5% plus get the rest of the hoors in the party to do likewise and particularly the ones not taking any cut now up to 10% .... t'would mean a lot and doing otherwise does not enamour FG to the populace ... they really should have the cop on and do this
And if they all took 10%, people would be saying "oh, but if they took 20%, now THAT would mean something.....". And meanwhile the fact that no FF TD has taken a cut in his or her TD's salary remains uncommented-on.

Just basic FG-bashing, in other words.

hiding behind a poster

His performance in the chamber during the week will play another big role. He's climbed one hurdle this week. If he can climb another, in sucessfully tearing up Cowen's emergency budget in front of the Irish people, it will go another bit towards intilling a confidence in him from the Irish people.
But that's not his job. Bruton is the Finance spokesman, and he will do the heavy lifting in the Dail and the media on the Budget. And that's how it should be, and it brings us back to the whole "captain of a team" analogy. Suppose Ireland had won a penalty in the last minute against Italy last week, and suppose instead of Keane being captain, Given was. Should he come barging up from the far end to take the penalty, just on the grounds that "I'm the captain, I'll do everything", or should he leave it to the best penalty-taker?

Right is right

But that's not his job. Bruton is the Finance spokesman, and he will do the heavy lifting in the Dail and the media on the Budget. And that's how it should be, and it brings us back to the whole "captain of a team" analogy. Suppose Ireland had won a penalty in the last minute against Italy last week, and suppose instead of Keane being captain, Given was. Should he come barging up from the far end to take the penalty, just on the grounds that "I'm the captain, I'll do everything", or should he leave it to the best penalty-taker?
Exactly...Its amazing though that people still can't understand this concept...Its Bruton's job to take Lenihan apart, O'Reilly's job to take on Harney etc etc...Its Bruton's job to manage them and ensure that they do their job well

TradCat

He could do with being a bit less "wooden" and I think FG could do with a "Clause 4" moment to reach out to people who come from traditionally FF backgrounds. They should be thinking about an overall majority.

We were wrong not to elect Kenny the last time but we may have done him a favour.

Limerick Lad

To do that, he will have to improve his grasp of economics, he cannot afford to always be giving this ground to Richard Bruton, it simply reinforces in the mind of the public Kenny's shortcomings and reminds them of why Bertie could defeat him so decisively in that seminal T.V debate in 2007.

I for one would love him to knock the socks of Cowan; who can forget BIFFO's despicable and bullying dismissiveness of Kenny in the not too distant past. Enda needs to shape up and hit him where it hurts. Cowan's prevarication this past year, and his excess when Minister for Finance have made the situation a lot worse than it need have been. Kenny must deliver the blows not Bruton and not Gilmore.
Cowen was lauded by many in FF as having a great grasp of economics and chose as his Minister of Finance the inexperienced both economically and ministerially Brian Lenihan, look where that has got us.
Biffo's dismissive schoolyard bullying attitude towards Kenny and others in the Dail was like most bullies an attempt to hide his own now glaringly obvious inadaquecies.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies