Anyone else gone past anger,despair and just doesn't care anymore?

loaded32

I was watching VB last night when my wife commented that my outbursts at the TV during current affairs programmes seemed to have subsided.
We discussed it further and it was actually a self-realisation moment for me in that I think I have almost run out of anger and am nearly all out of despairing and I am actually nearing the stage of giving up on the country and its people!
I told my wife, that no matter what - if Bertie is elected as President of this country, us and our 2 kids are packing up and emigrating -thats if we havent already gone at that point!

Has anyone else found that they too have gone through the anger, despair and have almost given up on "good 'ol Ireland" ?

Dunlin3

Felt pretty much the same way after watching VB last night. I'm involved in a small business, struggling to pay ourselves and no light at the end of the tunnel either.

If Bertie makes it to President I'll be gone also.

Master Debater

There's no way Bertie will become President. Mind you, I also said the same thing before George Bush was re-elected !

Iarmhi Gael

I have F**K all confidence in Fianna Fail and the Greens. All these figures mean nothing to me. All I know I face hard times ahead along with my family and my children and Neighbours. An Extra Billion here or there means nothing now. Its up to me to get out of it

I'd prefer the IMF or Some other Political grouping to be in charge and would prefer to see a full an dfrank investigation into the operations of Fianna Fail, the banks and the Builders.

loaded32

Felt pretty much the same way after watching VB last night. I'm involved in a small business, struggling to pay ourselves and no light at the end of the tunnel either.

If Bertie makes it to President I'll be gone also.
Yeah, there was just something weird about VB last night wasnt there!? Something to do, perhaps, with VB making a valid point that the Dáil is actually irrelevant and the Govt has the whole thing sewn up...they are still in power even given all the sh1t and then listening to Martin Manseragh just confirmed that nothing has really changed since 2002,2005,2008 ....we are just going round in circles...only a matter of time before my family and I fall off the infinidum Irish roundabout!

DeputyEdo

I have always voted in every election/referendum etc that I have been legally entitled to.....I'm at the stage now though, that there's a fairly good chance I wont vote at the next general election.
All the parties are full of sh1te....the politicians seem to be only in politics to line their own pockets...and the fookers who got the country to this state will live out the rest of their lives in the luxury they're used to.

consultant

I was watching VB last night when my wife commented that my outbursts at the TV during current affairs programmes seemed to have subsided.
We discussed it further and it was actually a self-realisation moment for me in that I think I have almost run out of anger and am nearly all out of despairing and I am actually nearing the stage of giving up on the country and its people!
I told my wife, that no matter what - if Bertie is elected as President of this country, us and our 2 kids are packing up and emigrating -thats if we havent already gone at that point!

Has anyone else found that they too have gone through the anger, despair and have almost given up on "good 'ol Ireland" ?
Exactly the mind-set (shared by most of us, probably) that FF and the greens have been hoping for. It is the only chance they have of avoiding wipe-out. Pavlovian politics still works.

Cato

Perhaps its the case that we are all going through something similar to the seven stages of grief. They are as follows;

Shock or Disbelief
Denial
Bargaining
Guilt
Anger
Depression
Acceptance and Hope

The optimistic view is that you are on the second last stage.

ifreannach

sad to say but you emigrating is exactly what the politicans want, I could never watch the news from a child and I detested the radio because of the drivel sprouted by idiots.
When people open a newspaper in front of me I have to ask them why they would fill their mids with crap yet newspapers are still selling.
i've been stuck on anger for a long time and have grown accustomed to it

if you vote you are part of the problem

Dunlin3

Yeah, there was just something weird about VB last night wasnt there!? Something to do, perhaps, with VB making a valid point that the Dáil is actually irrelevant and the Govt has the whole thing sewn up...they are still in power even given all the sh1t and then listening to Martin Manseragh just confirmed that nothing has really changed since 2002,2005,2008 ....we are just going round in circles...only a matter of time before my family and I fall off the infinidum Irish roundabout!
Yes Martin Manseragh is a joke alright, maybe that is why I felt so despondant last night. This guy has that key Fianna Fail quality, loyalty to the party above all else. His refusal to accept that government ministers are overpaid by at least 50k was just one example of the nonsense he came out with. Then he sat there smugly when he told eveyone that he actually got the train to Kerry last week for an event. Big deal! There is no hope for this country when we continue to elect tossers like him.

idle tim

I will never give up on Ireland,despite everything(i have experienced redundancy in 80s 90s and twice this decade) i still have great faith in those who this Country has always relied on in its troubled times,"the working class's",the people who constantly reinvent themselves in order to survive,those who are not interested in Money for Materialistic Pipedreams or Fame and Fortune,but who want to be part of a Nation that cares for "All its Citizens",yes i rant and rave at times like yourself but i think thats only natural,and dont worry,Aherne will never be President,his mask has slipped to far.

jpc

The electorate put a shower of self regarding buffoons in charge of the nations affairs.
Clowns that ultimately put tribal priorities and self enrichment to the fore.
But many of the electorate think medical cards and potholes rather than nation goverment are the meter sticks to determine electoral success.
For whatever reasons the electorate have allowed this state of affairs to exist for decades.
Therein lies the cause of the disenchantment and the solution.

harryshounds

apathy is a cancer firmly rooted in the irish working class at the moment. my only hope is that this budget will be so painfull and unfair that it awakens some of the fight in our people. to listen to lenihan and co.. talk about sharing pain when they're driven around in mercs and enjoy salaries that are amongst the highest in the europe is a sick joke, its real "let them eat cake" stuff.
when people realise just how much pain we'll take cos of what ff and bankers have done then apathy mighht turn to anger and resistence. if it doesnt ireland is doomed.

Asparagus

Perhaps its the case that we are all going through something similar to the seven stages of grief. They are as follows;

Shock or Disbelief
Denial
Bargaining
Guilt
Anger
Depression
Acceptance and Hope

The optimistic view is that you are on the second last stage.
Until you realise that because there is no actual death and the country is a zombie or at least on life support - that this is a cyclical process or a loop and once you get to the stage of acceptance and hope a new Shock is just around the corner.

I am sickened and embarrassed by our inability to govern ourselves.

I'd welcome Oliver Cromwell as Taoiseach before Cowen, Lenihan, Kenny or Gilmore.

Heyoka

compassion fatigue

I think it's unavoidable experiencing apathy when you feel so powerless to change anything in a system that's so sewn up. Sure you can march , lobby TD's and vote but how much difference is this going to make?. There's only so much debate and argument and bulls**t that a mind can take. I feel like I'm going to get a seizure sometimes when watching things like Vincent Browne.

My main gripe is why nobody will listen to what sound like good courses of action to take from people like Peter Matthews and Brian Lucey?. It's like Fianna Fail are driving an engine car fixed to the one railroad track and we're all locked in passenger cars and we're heading towards a big f**k off wall. While they're ignoring the instructions from the people ahead to 'Change tracks!! , change tracks , for the love of god change tracks!!'. You have to take care of your mental and physical health too or believe me the stress will make you ill.

Last edited:

ifreannach

The electorate put a shower of self regarding buffoons in charge of the nations affairs.
Clowns that ultimately put tribal priorities and self enrichment to the fore.
But many of the electorate think medical cards and potholes rather than nation goverment are the meter sticks to determine electoral success.
For whatever reasons the electorate have allowed this state of affairs to exist for decades.
Therein lies the cause of the disenchantment and the solution.
+1, couldnt agree more

Brehon

Website
www.irishliberalparty.org
Maybe we grow up having too high expectations of people and trusting our elders. Well I don't trust my elders, my expectations of people are quite low. People are generally out for their own good. I would consider myself a person of integrity, I can't judge that in others. However, I believe when people are backed up against a corner the only logically option is to fight or die because you are dead otherwise.

The people that live in this state are in a corner, you can give up and let the aggressors beat you to death or you can give as good as you get. As Roddy Doyle said in the Commitments, they had nothing and were willing to risk it all. If you think you are a man of integrity then stop shouting at it and start shouting at public meetings, at the street corner. Otherwise you've accepted your fate, your head is shaven and you're heading for the chamber.

niropiro

Maybe we grow up having too high expectations of people and trusting our elders. Well I don't trust my elders, my expectations of people are quite low. People are generally out for their own good. I would consider myself a person of integrity, I can't judge that in others. However, I believe when people are backed up against a corner the only logically option is to fight or die because you are dead otherwise.

The people that live in this state are in a corner, you can give up and let the aggressors beat you to death or you can give as good as you get. As Roddy Doyle said in the Commitments, they had nothing and were willing to risk it all. If you think you are a man of integrity then stop shouting at it and start shouting at public meetings, at the street corner. Otherwise you've accepted your fate, your head is shaven and you're heading for the chamber.
If you start shouting at meetings you'll just be carried out.:lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies