• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Anyone for Cricket? ..... Irish style

Ah Well

The Irish Cricket Team have qualified for the 2011 Cricket World Cup ... following on from their appearance in the 2007 World Cup when they beat Pakistan, the latter being a long established Cricket Nation. Ireland have played 12 games currently in South Africa in the Cricket World Cup Qualifiers 2009, losing only 2 of those games ... to Afghanistan by 22 runs some number of days ago and today lost to Kenya by 6 Wickets (kinda surprised by such a defeat today).

Nevertheless .... Ireland play Canada on Sunday in the Final of this Tournament for 1st and 2nd place

RTÉ Sport: Ireland are beaten by Kenya

.... have been following the progress of the Irish team meself on the official Website

Personally .... rising above the "foreign/Brit game" mindcast .... I've watched the odd Cricket game on TV ... and to be honest I do think it's quite a skillful and technical game

I'd also say fair play to the Irish guys for continuing on from the 2007 achievements and they do seem to be a pretty decent team .... obviously a minority sport round these parts but nevertheless imho success worth applauding ....

Does anyone on here watch or even play Cricket? I know that the Southern Law Assoc in Cork have formed a Cricket Team (presumably playing in the Mardyke) and they've played a few games over the past years

Odyessus

The Irish Cricket Team have qualified for the 2011 Cricket World Cup ... following on from their appearance in the 2007 World Cup when they beat Pakistan, the latter being a long established Cricket Nation. Ireland have played 12 games currently in South Africa in the Cricket World Cup Qualifiers 2009, losing only 2 of those games ... to Afghanistan by 22 runs some number of days ago and today lost to Kenya by 6 Wickets (kinda surprised by such a defeat today).

Nevertheless .... Ireland play Canada on Sunday in the Final of this Tournament for 1st and 2nd place

.... have been following the progress of the Irish team meself on the official Website

Personally .... rising above the "foreign/Brit game" mindcast .... I've watched the odd Cricket game on TV ... and to be honest I do think it's quite a skillful and technical game

I'd also say fair play to the Irish guys for continuing on from the 2007 achievements and they do seem to be a pretty decent team .... obviously a minority sport round these parts but nevertheless imho success worth applauding ....

Does anyone on here watch or even play Cricket? I know that the Southern Law Assoc in Cork have formed a Cricket Team (presumably playing in the Mardyke) and they've played a few games over the past years

Well done to the Irish cricket team. Cricket is a great game, and I couldn't care less about this "foreign game" nonsense.

Martin McGuinness feels the same way.

Gruffalo

I love my cricket. Have had the pleasure of watching some excellent cricket during my time in the Southern Hemisphere. Have seen New Zealand, Sri Lanka and West Indies play as well as some club matches in both OZ and NZ.

Have been fortunate enough to see some of my favourite players in action e.g. Stephen Fleming (NZ), Brian Lara (WI) and Sanath Jayasuria and Kumar Sangakarra (SL).

Deise Pride

Cricket for Croker!! It cant be as bad as the Ireland/Bulgaria game.....

sakhee

I suspect the majority of people won't have too much interest in the success or otherwise of the Ireland Cricket team.However it is something of an achievement to qualify for their second World Cup.

I actually would watch Cricket now and then, particularly the Ashes Series which Australia usually win and I watched some of the games in the last World Cup.It is quite a skillful game and can be fascinating watching the bowlers trying different types of throws in an effort to get the batsman out.I used to really enjoy watching ace spinner Shane Warne as he toyed with the English batsmen in the Ashes.Also Glen McGrath as a fast bowler was without equal I think through the mid 90's to mid 00's and along with Warne pretty much destroyed England in the Ashes Series 2006-2007.That Aussie team for 10 years or more were just pure class and a joy to watch.

Anyway back to Ireland: My only real issue is that a lot of the team in the last World Cup were not Irish at all.It seems there are more Irish players in the team now although I could be wrong.Ed Joyce(Splitter) turned his back on Ireland to go off and search for glory playing for England(England & Wales even) but didn't prove up to it.I wonder if he felt just a bit sick when Ireland qualified in 2007 and he wasn't involved in either Ireland's or England's teams.

I'll always cheer teams representing Ireland in any sport but I like to see all Irish people in the team.

H.R. Haldeman

A terrific achievement. Really look forward to seeing how they get on.

Any true sports fan out there who does not like cricket is depriving themselves of something very special. A real treat for those of us who enjoy the mix of skill, flair, emotion, passion, tension and all the stuff that makes top-level sport great. No self-respecting sports fan can really call themselves such unless they watch at least a couple of tests a year. It's richer than Daddy Warbucks and deeper than oceans.

I think it's such a boring game, made for boring people. I dislike soccer too.

Rugby is where it's at.

Besides, how many Irish players play for the cricket team? Its a joke. The best Irish cricketer even opted for his beloved England did he not? Joyce is his name if I remember.

I would find it impossible to get behind a team of mercenaries.

bananarepublic.ie

Besides, how many Irish players play for the cricket team? Its a joke. The best Irish cricketer even opted for his beloved England did he not? Joyce is his name if I remember.
come on please!!
Its far better then footie now a days, Joyce want to play for Test cricket, where as Ireland still not elgible for test status. (fingers crossed it will be there) Most of the players are part time still they are able to qualify by doing regular jobs it self great achievement per say. Not like so called "working class ferrari WAG footballers".

Why dont you ask the ferrari driven footballers to play in Irish legue instead of English russian mafia legue.??

there is teacher, postman, farmar in current irish team. Last time in world cup, when they qualified for next round, the teacher has to call head master "erm.. we are going to quarter finals in world i need few more days off".. class priceless.. i thought it happens only in hollywood movie but it happend real life..

Well done Ireland Cricket team!!
I am delighted!!

H.R. Haldeman

I'm betting you have never watched more than 10 minutes of cricket before coming to the conclusion it is "boring". Right? Cause 10 minutes in the context of a game that lasts 5 days is like watching 10 seconds of a rugby match. Would 10 seconds be adequete time to appreciate rugby? Of course not, so please stop making ignorant statements on things you know nothing about, cause you know absolutely nothing about cricket.

Rugby is where it's at.
Yeah, you sound like a rugby fan alright.

Such ignorance. How can you post comments like this with absolutely shag-all knowledge of what you're talking about? Sorry mate, it is fkn obnoxious. How many Irish players play for Ireland? Ragging on Ed Joyce? FFS.

And let's never mind the irony that you are moaning about "mercenaries" when just about every international rugby team contains several players with at best tangential connections to their host country.

Bah, couldn't be arsed with this bollox.

Ah Well

Rugby is where it's at.

A team of mercenaries? These guys who have just played in the 2009 World Cup Qualifiers played for Ireland and have qualified for the World Cup for the 2nd time in a row. Whatever about ppl declaring for England the bulk of these guys ain't in that category and they've just qualified again. PS - they play Canada today in the Final of this 12 nation competition for outright victors having already qualified for the World Cup and lost 2 out of 12 games

So fair play to them and long may their success continue imho

Sam Lord

I've played all my life. No better game was ever invented. And those who have written that it is "quite skilfull' have no idea at all... batting well requires extraordinary levels of skill. There is so much to the game ... the one on one contest within the team v. team contest ..the levels of drama that can unfold as a test match develops ... and not forgetting the aesthetic aspects. The great Marxist historian CLR James argued that Cricket has all the elements of an art form.

It has a tradition in Ireland extending well beyond the last World Cup. I can remember Ireland beating the West Indies in a one day game back in the '60's. (Though they did, apparently, fill the oposition with Guinness the night before).

One of the best novels of last year "Netherland" by Joseph O'Neil has a strong cricket motif .. which should help popularise the sport here. Can't wait to see Tallaght playing Ballyfermot.

spidermom

I've played all my life. No better game was ever invented. And those who have written that it is "quite skilfull' have no idea at all... batting well requires extraordinary levels of skill. There is so much to the game ... the one on one contest within the team v. team contest ..the levels of drama that can unfold as a test match develops ... and not forgetting the aesthetic aspects. The great Marxist historian CLR James argued that Cricket has all the elements of an art form.

It has a tradition in Ireland extending well beyond the last World Cup. I can remember Ireland beating the West Indies in a one day game back in the '60's. (Though they did, apparently, fill the oposition with Guinness the night before).

One of the best novels of last year "Netherland" by Joseph O'Neil has a strong cricket motif .. which should help popularise the sport here. Can't wait to see Tallaght playing Ballyfermot.

Well done the boys....great crack in jamaica...not there unfortunately...have played too...great game...though in fairness LOVE the 1 day...find the test match...technical...tactical and ...a bit boring!!!

Sam Lord

Well done the boys....great crack in jamaica...not there unfortunately...have played too...great game...though in fairness LOVE the 1 day...find the test match...technical...tactical and ...a bit boring!!!
And some people prefer draughts to chess ...

spidermom

hiding behind a poster

Besides, how many Irish players play for the cricket team?
Of the current squad, I think there's only two "non-Irish" players - Trent Johnston from Australia, who met an Irish girl in Oz over a decade ago, married her, they moved to Ireland, and he served out the residency requirements before playing for Ireland. And Andre Botha from South Africa, who ended up here via approximately the same route. There was another, Dave Langford-Smith, but he's retired now. The rest are as Irish as you or I.

The best Irish cricketer even opted for his beloved England did he not? Joyce is his name if I remember.
You're referring to Ed Jocye, whose decision to play for England after serving his residency period was perfectly understandable. As a player, to make it in cricket you simply must play Test cricket, and there's no real prospect of Ireland doing that anytime soon. To give you a rugby analogy, suppose that instead of being Irish, Brian O'Driscoll was German. Now, he's one of the very best players of his generation, but will be unable to test himself against the best, will be unable to play any meaningful international rugby, if he plays for Germany. So he goes to play for a professional club in a nearby country, serves his qualifying period, and can now play rugby at the level his talent deserves. Its fair enough - particularly in cricket, where there are only ten test-playing countries. And the likes of Eoin Morgan and Niall O'Brien may well follow him.

Which the Ireland team aren't - but don't let that worry you. No Irish international is paid to play for Ireland - and when you factor the amount of time taken off work to play and train, missed overtime and promotion opportunities, and I'd say most of the team are substantially out of pocket as a result of playing for Ireland over the years.

hiding behind a poster

I've always watched it, played with friends when I was a kid, and played with a club for a few years. Haven't played in a while now, though I bumped into the club Statto recently, and he told me I'd scored a grand total of 999 runs for the club.

Maybe I should go back for a game or two (or as many as are required.... :oops: )

Nils

Of the current squad, I think there's only two "non-Irish" players - Trent Johnston from Australia, who met an Irish girl in Oz over a decade ago, married her, they moved to Ireland, and he served out the residency requirements before playing for Ireland. And Andre Botha from South Africa, who ended up here via approximately the same route. There was another, Dave Langford-Smith, but he's retired now. The rest are as Irish as you or I.
There's also Alex Cusack from Australia & Peter Connell & Regan West are from NZ

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies