Anyone interested in a VW Van? Contact Waterford Co Co

Disillusioned democrat

Sure don't worry - that's only all the tax 160 families on an average salary paid last year.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wouldn't go so far as to say there would be no reason. Someone somewhere will have collected a backhander.

hammer

Jaysus you would have to laugh if it wasn`t so serious.

Aren`t 3 tender prices also meant to be received from companies ?

Something wrong with some people.

gijoe

Is there a Council employee going around in a spanking new Volkswagen?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Reminds me of that story of the council employee who apparently managed to get his daughter a local authority house over in the west. Apparently being investigated but very, very, quietly.... and very, very slowly.

Disillusioned democrat

All joking aside, it demonstrates again - as if we were slow learners - that our officials: elected, unelected alike treat taxpayers money with such contempt and nonchalance that they are not fit for their role as "public" servants.

The missing ingredient here is any form of accountability - forget expensive systems and over-sight committees, inquiries and tribunals - a few high profile examples made of errant public and civil servants AND public representatives would go a long way to eradicate this behaviour.

Spanner Island

Just when I thought that I couldn't be surprised any longer at how money is wasted this story comes along

Waterford Council bought 63 vans for no reason | Irish Examiner
FFS that looks like a feckin' headline from Waterford Whispers... and then you click on the link and you see it's anything but a joke...

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the contempt with which public money is treated and squandered...

Someone needs to be fired without a pension for this.

Franzoni

FFS that looks like a feckin' headline from Waterford Whispers... and then you click on the link and you see it's anything but a joke...

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the contempt with which public money is treated and squandered...

Never happens....

Blow the whistle on the other hand and you will have God only knows what state agency at your door with allegations about you and your family....

SeanieFitz

I read it twice as I thought it was a joke, even when I read your post I thought for a second that it was a Waterford whispers "story" and i missed it. Waterford whispers should be good about this

The story is really incredible, one would expect that the purchasing of 63 Vans would require approval/signing off by a senior staff member if not a number of senior staff

The following extract is unacceptable, the results of the investigation needs to be made public

However, the spokesperson refused to explain how the issue was resolved, what was the outcome of the internal investigation, if the council has lost out on money, and how the vans will now be used.

blinding

Never happens....

Blow the whistle on the other hand and you will have God only knows what state agency at your door with allegations about you and your family....
Ireland can be a sick little country if you try to let the Plebs know what is going on . It is an elitist little sh!t hole in its own way .

Disillusioned democrat

Ireland can be a sick little country if you try to let the Plebs know what is going on . It is an elitist little sh!t hole in its own way .
It's tribal - I've noticed that people have a huge blind spot to anything their "tribe" does wrong that goes beyond logic or reason.

Disillusioned democrat

I read it twice as I thought it was a joke, even when I read your post I thought for a second that it was a Waterford whispers "story" and i missed it. Waterford whispers should be good about this

The story is really incredible, one would expect that the purchasing of 63 Vans would require approval/signing off by a senior staff member if not a number of senior staff

The following extract is unacceptable, the results of the investigation needs to be made public

However, the spokesperson refused to explain how the issue was resolved, what was the outcome of the internal investigation, if the council has lost out on money, and how the vans will now be used.
Unacceptable, and yet, I suspect this time next week, month or year we'll be none the wiser.

Until there's accountability there will be no change.

SeanieFitz

Unacceptable, and yet, I suspect this time next week, month or year we'll be none the wiser.

Until there's accountability their will be no change.
I reckon that there will be at least a few elected members who won't allow this to be buried

"if the council has lost out on money"...........well they hardly made a profit on buying 63 unwanted and unused vans, if they did they should look at working for Bill Cullen

milipod

They can park them in Wolfe Tone Street.

New Threads

Most Replies