• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Anyone watching the snooker?

Hagbard Celine

I've been watching Steve Davis, a player I despised in my youth but can now appreciate, over the last few days. He is about to go 6-2 ahead against defending champion John Higgins and it has been an absolute masterclass to watch. Davis has simply turned the clock back to the early-mid 80s showing form unseen in decades. Definitely worth watching for anyone who enjoys the game.

brigg

I was watching the live feed on FTA satellite, but the TV was taken over for "Lost" :roll:
Just got the end of the last frame there, great stuff from Davis, it will be a major upset if he continues in that form for the rest of the match.

Hagbard Celine

He's mellowed with the years

- but I wonder if that 'Cold Fish' act way back then was really aimed at spooking his opponents as much as anything else?

It worked anyway...:)
Steve 'interesting' Davis the comedians called him although I saw him do an exhibition one time and he was deadly craic; he's quite witty in interviews too. I think he was just driven to succeed and also avoid the pitfalls that cost the careers of some of his peers while in his prime. He seems to have gotten his desire and focus back and it's highly entertaining; some of his position play and shot selection was fantastic and his pot completion was about 96%. Session two tomorrow will be well worth watching if tonight is anything to go by.

Herodotus

Steve Davis. I agree, he is someone I disliked as a kid but he always was a character. Kind of an antithesis to Jimmy White who we all loved. But now he is still a character. The current up and coming crop are not characters. Shaun Murphy is a choir boy, Neil Robertson is no Quentin Hann.

There is still Hendry, Higgins, O'Sullivan and our Ken Doherty. But that particular generation of characters is nowhere near as good as Steve Davis' generation. I think when the 4 I mentioned just up there retire in 5-10 years snooker will be a boring sport, devoid of characters with 12 Chinese in the top 16. Shame as I love the sport.

Hagbard Celine

Ireland's Mark Allen had quite the day too. He scored the first ever 146 in the World Championships at The Crucible and then went on to score another one a few frames later; a remarkable achievement.

brigg

That was a nail-biting final frame just there, with Davis eventually beating Higgins 13-11.
Davis looked a little dumbfounded afterwards!
It seems Higgins was initially 1-16 favourite to win.

Sync

I play a lot of pool, but find snooker almost impossible to play. I enjoy watching it occasionally though. I've been curious though, and maybe you guys who know more about it than I do will know, why do people deteriorate with age? It's not a sport like football or rugby which is physically exerting. Why are Steve Davis, White and Hendry on the way down once they get over 35? Is it an attention thing?

drkpower

I play a lot of pool, but find snooker almost impossible to play. I enjoy watching it occasionally though. I've been curious though, and maybe you guys who know more about it than I do will know, why do people deteriorate with age? It's not a sport like football or rugby which is physically exerting. Why are Steve Davis, White and Hendry on the way down once they get over 35? Is it an attention thing?
Its a little unusual alright; Is it a fine motor skills & eyesight issue?

You would have thought that golf would be more significantly affected by aging (given it is a fine motor skills and power-related sport) but golfers in their late 40s are regularly competitive and even the odd 60 year old comes close to winning a major. In snooker, as you say, once you hit mid--30s you seem to be finished. I suppose the fine motor skills issue is a whole lot more 'fine' in snooker, but still, it is puzzling.

Ah Well

Watched the last frame earlier when Davis beat Higgins

Unreal, one of the great sporting moments for sure. Davis totally overcome by the victory.

Sport can be fab - when it throws out unexpected times like this

Casualbets

To think Davis will be 60 in 8 years time! It seems like last week he was little older than a foetus. Snooker isn't a sport, of course, it's a mildly diverting pub/parlour game...
Of course it's a sport!!! Grrrr!!!!

and I challenge you to fit a snooker table into the average parlour....

and I can't think of many pubs with snooker tables... tho there is the (very) odd one...

But pool is a much more noble pursuit, worthy of the time of champions.... (ie Casualbets)

Cassandra Syndrome

To think Davis will be 60 in 8 years time! It seems like last week he was little older than a foetus. Snooker isn't a sport, of course, it's a mildly diverting pub/parlour game...
Is it politically correct though? One white chasing all them coloureds with a stick for the purposes of sport?

Start another one of them P.ie OTT PC threads.

Casualbets

Its a little unusual alright; Is it a fine motor skills & eyesight issue?

You would have thought that golf would be more significantly affected by aging (given it is a fine motor skills and power-related sport) but golfers in their late 40s are regularly competitive and even the odd 60 year old comes close to winning a major. In snooker, as you say, once you hit mid--30s you seem to be finished. I suppose the fine motor skills issue is a whole lot more 'fine' in snooker, but still, it is puzzling.

It appears to be a concentration thing....

Sync

Family guy on bowling:

Cleveland: I must say, I do feel a strange satisfation watchin' the black ball topple all those self-righteous white pins.
Joe: Can't blame 'em for being self-righteous, the black ball's in their neighborhood uninvited.
Cleveland: The black ball's done nothing wrong.
Joe: If the black ball's innocent it has nothing to fear.

Of course it's a sport!!! Grrrr!!!!

and I challenge you to fit a snooker table into the average parlour....

and I can't think of many pubs with snooker tables... tho there is the (very) odd one...

But pool is a much more noble pursuit, worthy of the time of champions.... (ie Casualbets)
I could fit a dozen in my parlour and still have plenty of room for the drinks trolleys pushed by the help.

If you can perform it while getting pissed and with a fag in your mouth, then it's not a sport....

drkpower

It appears to be a concentration thing....
Really?

Do powers of concentration go downhill when you go past 35ish....? (please say no, please say no....)

What about chess grandmasters? Isnt that the ultimate 'concentration' game, and arent they often into their 30s/40s/50s?

Casualbets

I could fit a dozen in my parlour and still have plenty of room for the drinks trolleys pushed by the help.
Let me guess... you're the Credit Expert....

If you can perform it while getting pissed and with a fag in your mouth, then it's not a sport....
I'm not sure if we're discussing snooker or sex here....

Casualbets

Really?

Do powers of concentration go downhill when you go past 35ish....? (please say no, please say no....)

What about chess grandmasters? Isnt that the ultimate 'concentration' game, and arent they often into their 30s/40s/50s?
I suppose it's different... Potting a long ball, while simultaneously trying to apply the precise amount of control on the white ball is a different kettle of fish to pondering chess moves...