Anyone Work In the Hotel Management?

danger here

And shameless admit to posting on p.ie? petunia No seriously, the reason I ask is that the company I'm working with in Germany are entering the Irish market at the minute. Without giving too much away, we offer a digitalised channel of communication between guests and the hotel during their stay. It's working well on the continent (since 2012), it's doing reasonably well in the UK but Ireland is another story. Now we have some interest but there's far too much conservative caution compared to our other markets, and several hotels not wanting to take a risk with finances, some places I must say that rather surprised me as well. Is it the Brexit effect?

I had the daft idea that Irish hoteliers would be way more open to new technology and improving their guest experience than say the Brits, but the opposite is sadly true. I'm spending more and more time in the Dutch market lately as Dublin and Ireland generally seems a bit of a lost cause for us.

D

Deleted member 48908

Without giving too much away, are you targeting the chain hotels or the more upmarket ones?

The reason I ask, is that I imagine that the chains might be more receptive, whereas in the nicer hotels, hospitality means a more personal touch.

How are ye doing in Switzerland?

danger here

We'd be looking to work with both chains and the classic hotels as well, 3-5 stars. We've over 350 hotels in Germany, Austria and Switzerland at the minute and things are flying on the continent, smallest being about 20 rooms right up to 300-400 room hotels in the big cities. We entered the Dutch market at the same time as Ireland but the former is a doddle when it comes to technology and interest/genuine curiosity , whereas Ireland is a real struggle.

I don't know too much about the ins and outs of the Irish hotel industry beyond general knowledge about tourism and price gouging stereotypes ect but I would have thought we as a country would be a bit more receptive to technology, and not just some gimmicky thing but a tangible solution that usually pays for itself in a matter of months. It's even getting to the point where ************************ing Glasgow of all places is worth more to us than continuing to pursue Ireland. It's not a massive market for us anyway but just a bit of a pity being Irish myself that we're aren't more receptive. I suppose I feel a bit let down as we are generally outward looking and dynamic. I dunno, perhaps the hotel industry is ran by old FG hacks with an aversion to tech.

I worked in a similar SaaS role a few years back in cloud computing and it was a different story. Irish resellers we used to deal with were on par with Scandinavia in terms of interest and usage, but the hospitality market seems a bit less open to change. My instinct says it's a bit of the 'if it's not broke don't fix it' mentality that we are encountering.

Compared to the Netherlands, there's one noticeable difference in the hoteliers I'm in touch with. The Irish guys seem much more flaky about taking responsibility for even considering our service, whereas the Dutch are quite up front and will happily and even proudly offer to bring our product up in the next meeting, even if they might have some reservations about it. From our perspective, we know right away who we're going to feel more confident partnering with.

amsterdemmetje

A friend of mine works for a global Software company involved with the latest automatic digital cameras among other things. .Last year he approached Templemore Garda College with an offer of installing their latest gear for free, the answer was ,"yarra shure we have a camera up schtairs".

Last edited:

blokesbloke

And shameless admit to posting on p.ie? petunia No seriously, the reason I ask is that the company I'm working with in Germany are entering the Irish market at the minute. Without giving too much away, we offer a digitalised channel of communication between guests and the hotel during their stay. It's working well on the continent (since 2012), it's doing reasonably well in the UK but Ireland is another story. Now we have some interest but there's far too much conservative caution compared to our other markets, and several hotels not wanting to take a risk with finances, some places I must say that rather surprised me as well. Is it the Brexit effect?

I had the daft idea that Irish hoteliers would be way more open to new technology and improving their guest experience than say the Brits, but the opposite is sadly true. I'm spending more and more time in the Dutch market lately as Dublin and Ireland generally seems a bit of a lost cause for us.
Well then you'll have to rexamine your prejudices dearie! :rolleyes:

blokesbloke

What is this digital channel of communication with guests?

Is it some sort of webcam set-up so you can talk to reception?

danger here

What is this digital channel of communication with guests?

Is it some sort of webcam set-up so you can talk to reception?

Here's a hint BB, PS my prejudices are spot on ;)

New Threads

Most Replies