• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Aontú - Ireland’s newest political party

ruserious

Niall996

ruserious

So an anti Abortion fringe group basically?
It's a bit stupid isn't it.

You'd think he would make abortion a matter of conscience to distinguish his party with that of SF who unceremoniously dumped an otherwise loyal member. And also to not alienate the electorate so early on.

Niall996

There's room for one pro life TD in most constituencies, and for two in some constituencies.
Why? The issue is resolved. Unless some see it as an easy way to get a TD salary and pension.

cricket

There's room for one pro life TD in most constituencies, and for two in some constituencies.
A kind of right wing mirror image of the alphabets ? Confident they'll never be in a position of power, but on a handy source of income.

Marcos the black

Jesus.. I wonder how long this one will last.
What is it with political parties coming up with sh1te names that can't be pronounced outside of Ireland?
I see a bright future for this...

Marcos the black

“Aontú means unity and consent,” Mr Toibin told The Irish Times .

It's unfortunate that he doesn't give his consent to Irish women to look after their own bodies.
I wonder how long it it take for that to be thrown back in his face.

Fr. Ted Crilly

“Aontú means unity and consent,” Mr Toibin told The Irish Times .

It's unfortunate that he doesn't give his consent to Irish women to look after their own bodies.
I wonder how long it it take for that to be thrown back in his face.
Well, it takes two people to make a baby and I don't see too much concern for the man involved in any pregnancy....
Consent and unity me hole......

Degeneration X

A kind of right wing mirror image of the alphabets ? Confident they'll never be in a position of power, but on a handy source of income.
What makes you think Aontu wouldn't prop up a FF/FG government, assuming of course that they don't go the way of Renua?

Marcos the black

Well, it takes two people to make a baby and I don't see too much concern for the man involved in any pregnancy....
Consent and unity me hole......
I think there's a lot of men of out there that would be happy to be kept out of it completely!

Buchaill Dana

Like what came before, they talk a good game, but we all know its about abortion.

That topic is dead, but maybe, just maybe, there are two or three seats in it.

Clanrickard

Peader has said votes on abortion would be matters of conscience. Some of the members are not pro-life.

Baron von Biffo

View attachment 1714

Peadar Tóibín to name new political party ‘Aontú’

Peadar Tóibín’s new political party has been named Aontú or “Unity”.

The Republican pro life party already claims 1,400 members.

Unity and Economic Justice seem to be their key platforms.

It will be interesting to see if they can carve out space for themselves.
This thread is for documenting updates.
Mediocre TD flounces from his party over abortion.

Suddenly discovers he's opposed to everything he stood for just a few weeks earlier.

Sets up his own party.

Gives it a daft name.

Well that's never happened before.

Clanrickard

Mediocre TD flounces from his party over abortion.

Suddenly discovers he's opposed to everything he stood for just a few weeks earlier.

Sets up his own party.

Gives it a daft name.

Well that's never happened before.
No fan of the Shinners by Tobin is an excellent and articulate TD.

parentheses

True, but they're all ready catered for by FF, FG and Ind TDs in nearly ally constituencies - how does Aontu make hay with it?
Only 4 FF TDs voted against abortion. And AFAIK no FG TDs voted against. How do they cater for pro life viewpoint?

RasherHash

It's a bit stupid isn't it.

You'd think he would make abortion a matter of conscience to distinguish his party with that of SF who unceremoniously dumped an otherwise loyal member. And also to not alienate the electorate so early on.
He wasn't dumped he was suspended, he should have taken it on the chin the way he did last time and got back to normal in a few.

He would have kept his full wage and benefits and would have seemed like a martyr.

I think this was a bad move on his part but time will tell.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies