Ape in heels: Furore over insulting comments about Michelle Obama

O

Oscurito

The mayor of a small town in West Virginia has resigned following a furore over her seeming to endorse a very insulting social media comment about Michelle Obama.

Beverly Whaling, mayor of the town of Clay in the Mountain State appeared to endorse a deeply derogatory Facebook post about the current First Lady.

According to a local TV channel, Clay County Development Corp director Pamela Ramsey Taylor - while commenting on the election of Donald Trump's said, "It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady in the White House. I'm tired of seeing a (sic) Ape in heels."

Ms Whaling apparently responded underneath the post saying, "Just made my day Pam."

The comments were later deleted and both women have since resigned. In the intervening period, a petition calling for them to be sacked attracted 160,000 signatures.

RTÉ News: US mayor quits over Michelle Obama comment

Morgellons

It wasn't a very nice thing to say.

silverharp

really warrant a thread? if there was a thread for everyone that said something offensive the site would crash

ger12

Disgusting thing to say, think, tweet.

I believe resignations have followed.

I wouldn't be feeding this story anymore.

realistic1

The mayor of a small town in West Virginia has resigned following a furore over her seeming to endorse a very insulting social media comment about Michelle Obama.

Beverly Whaling, mayor of the town of Clay in the Mountain State appeared to endorse a deeply derogatory Facebook post about the current First Lady.

According to a local TV channel, Clay County Development Corp director Pamela Ramsey Taylor - while commenting on the election of Donald Trump's said, "It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady in the White House. I'm tired of seeing a (sic) Ape in heels."

Ms Whaling apparently responded underneath the post saying, "Just made my day Pam."

The comments were later deleted and both women have since resigned. In the intervening period, a petition calling for them to be sacked attracted 160,000 signatures.

RTÉ News: US mayor quits over Michelle Obama comment
Terrible comment . Michelle is a fine looking woman.

Herr Rommel

The woman who made the comment looks like a whale herself.

Hitchcock

gijoe

There was an 'insiders' book on Obama's first term which did describe Michelle Obama as the archetypal 'angry blackwoman' during the first term. She seems to have learned from that and resusitated her reputation in the second term.

eoghanacht

We should ban people from saying mean things, retreat to our safe places, tell mammy and wrap ourselves in cotton wool away from all the meanies :eyeroll:

Or alternatively not loose the plot whenever we read or hear anything we don't like, challenge it or ignore it.

gijoe

PS I note the RTE story says that Michelle was a 'hugely' popular campaigner for Clinton........but still managed to lose it.....

flavirostris

She is a fine-looking woman and the comment was disgraceful but people have said far worse about Donald Trump and there has been no media furore.

A Guardian journalist recently called for Trump's assassination on twitter. That's worse than a racist comment about Michelle Obama.

silverharp

O

Oscurito

really warrant a thread? if there was a thread for everyone that said something offensive the site would crash
I think it a very appropriate thread, as it does clearly point out a clear Racist attitude.
The American Right is getting its conspiracy theory bedded down early this time around - just in case Michelle Obama runs for the White House in 2020. There's a low-level campaign to defeminize her (based entirely on a throwaway remark by a now deceased comedienne). Some cretins here believe it.

Now, seemingly, some want to dehumanize her.

RodShaft

She is a fine-looking woman and the comment was disgraceful but people have said far worse about Donald Trump and there has been no media furore.

A Guardian journalist recently called for Trump's assassination on twitter. That's worse than a racist comment about Michelle Obama.
It's a fair point.

Paddy Sarkozy

But didn't the so called comedian Bill Maher make similar comments about Donald Trump and grossly insult his mother?? Why no furore about that? It's really embarrassing to discover boring loud mouths like Maher have Irish ancestry, but then we have plenty of our own 'comics' here that nobody finds funny as well.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies