• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Appeal against acquittal of Greek journalist who published list of Greek holders of Swiss bank accounts.

davidcameron

Appeal against acquittal of Greek journalist who published list of Greek holders of Swiss bank accounts.

Greek journalist to be tried again over Swiss bank list - Yahoo! News UK
The Athens Public Prosecutor's office said the November 1 acquittal was faulty and that Vaxevanis must be tried again by a higher misdemeanour court on the same charges. If found guilty, Vaxevanis could be jailed for up to two years or face a fine.

"The prosecutor believes that the decision in favour of the journalist is legally wrong," a court official said without giving further details. A similar request for appeal was filed by three people whose names are on the list, he said.
Why exactly is the public prosecutor going after a journalist for letting the public know the truth but not going after tax evaders? Why the Greek government is not bringing tax evaders to justice after everything that has happened in recent years I honestly don't understand.

slippy wicket

Because the vast majority of Greeks have never paid the level of taxes that they are supposed to, and those at the top even more so.
Hard to have sympathy for a nation of unapologetic spongers and wastrels.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Because the vast majority of Greeks have never paid the level of taxes that they are supposed to, and those at the top even more so.
Hard to have sympathy for a nation of unapologetic spongers and wastrels.
What exactly has any of that got to do with the OP and the plight of one journalist who tried to shed light on some of the people you're talking about?

4horsemen

Of course the Greeks are derelict matters of tax collection. They should learn from us and declare a tax amnesty!

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Of course the Greeks are derelict matters of tax collection. They should learn from us and declare a tax amnesty!
And what have you got to say about the journalist who was found innocent but the PP, it appears, insists that he be tried on a more serious charge - for the same "crime" he was originally found innocent of?

neiphin

thats a good idea

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I doubt that Merkel would like to protect people who break the law.
No laws have been shown to be broken by those names on the Lagarde List - yet. Greece has, so far, failed to initiate proceedings. Like Ireland, and other states, insiders are being protected.

I doubt Merkel would like that either but that is what she continues to fund.

Hunting down the journalist who made the list public is grossly wrong, imo.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Charges have been brought in the Anglo case and more charges may be on the way. There has been no allegation that crimes were committed in financial institutions other than Anglo.
Yet developers et al are in receipt of large payments from NAMA (us). Not to mention lawyers, accountants etc - some of whom fiddled while Rome was burning (for want of a better expression).

We have bankers who were at the helm before and during the crisis still maintaining lavish lifestyles on hefty salaries. Civil servants who were promoted...

The list goes on and on.

milestogo

Charges have been brought in the Anglo case and more charges may be on the way. There has been no allegation that crimes were committed in financial institutions other than Anglo.
So, The Gardai managed to find the computer passwords?
Great!
I must have missed it.

davidcameron

Yet developers et al are in receipt of large payments from NAMA (us). Not to mention lawyers, accountants etc - some of whom fiddled while Rome was burning (for want of a better expression).

We have bankers who were at the helm before and during the crisis still maintaining lavish lifestyles on hefty salaries. Civil servants who were promoted...

The list goes on and on.
Financial institutions gave loans recklessly. It was unethical but not illegal.

diaspora-mick

Not entirely true I would have thought.
Wasn't Irish Nationwide alleged to have been involved in the warehousing of €87m in secret loans to Sean Fitzpatrick over an eight year period to keep them hidden ?
"Fingers" Says Sorry (Reluctantly)

Ah but sure I suppose that was all perfectly legitimate under Irish law ...

davidcameron

Not entirely true I would have thought.
Wasn't Irish Nationwide alleged to have been involved in the warehousing of €87m in secret loans to Sean Fitzpatrick over an eight year period to keep them hidden ?
"Fingers" Says Sorry (Reluctantly)

Ah but sure I suppose that was all perfectly legitimate under Irish law ...
I should have considered Irish Nationwide. However, AIB, Bank of Ireland and Ulster Bank, which are the main banks that the general public has business with, have not been accused of criminal offences.

davidcameron

I'm not saying any of it was illegal.
I was answering the allegation that insiders are being protected. The only instance in which you would say, in a pejorative sense, that individuals are being protected is if they have committed crimes but are being shielded from prosecution.

Analyzer

Considering how abysmal the Irish Journalistic "profession" are concerning the identities of the bank bondholders ( don't worry folks, once again the British print media disclosed the names, in case you want to find them), Ireland is not exactly in a high moral place to be lecturing about standards of journalistic disclosure in other countries.

Especially in fellow PIIGS members !!!

Roman Emperor

Considering how abysmal the Irish Journalistic "profession" are concerning the identities of the bank bondholders ( don't worry folks, once again the British print media disclosed the names, in case you want to find them), Ireland is not exactly in a high moral place to be lecturing about standards of journalistic disclosure in other countries...
To be fair,being a bondholder isn't a crime. A bondholder's identity shouldn't concern the media.

diaspora-mick

To be fair,being a bondholder isn't a crime. A bondholder's identity shouldn't concern the media.
All other things being equal, I would tend to agree with you.
But in this case there was a high-level political decision that senior bondholders should not be "burned" and it seems that the ordinary citizen is expected to carry the can for that.

Under those specific circumstances, I can understand why there might be a legitimate curiosity as to who these mysterious bondholders were and why they were exempted from sharing the "pain".

People like to know who their lords and masters are.
In the good old days there were chietains and kings and queens - visible figures.
Now we live in the shady modern "globalised" world of faceless corporate entities controlled behind the scenes by mysterious, invisible figures such as these "senior bondholders".
Do you blame people for being curious ?

The media pokes it long nose into enough other matters of far less relevance ...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies