Appealing Toll overcharging

Marcos the black

Just back in the door from a weekend in Dublin and on the way back down I passed through the M7/M8 toll station just south of Portlaoise.

Most of the booths were unmanned, so I got 2 single €1 coins ready and drove in behind 2 waiting cars. The first car tossed in money and the counter reduced the toll due figure to €0.80c, then lots of searching and shaking and sometime later more money was tossed in the machine and off he/she went. The car in front of me went through no problem. Then as I approached I placed the 2 €1 coins in the automatic payment machine. While I was waiting for the barrier to rise, I noticed that the machine in front of me was misreading my reg plate: It read: T1 instead of TS. Then nothing happened. Nothing. Having paid €2 the display still read that the full toll of €1.80 was still due. Cars were building up behind me etc etc.. I knew I had no more change as I had checked, but luckily my wife has a single €2 coin which I fed to the machine, and this time it accepted it..

Ok, so it's only €2, so no big deal, but as I thought about it I remembered the car in front of me certainly seemed to be not ready for the fact that they would have to pay additional money on top of what was already given. It looked to me as if they were in the exact same situation as me.. i.e. I had paid sufficient money, but the toll had misread payment, or not read it at all..

If I was to argue the point there and then would it have been possible to do so? How could I prove I had made payment, and now that I've paid twice is there any point lodging a complaint. I've heard friends of mine saying that this has happened to them on occasion too... Any one else had similar experiences? Who get to keep all the extra €2/€1.80s that are "misread" by these machines?

subic

Do they issue receipts?

If not then you could write to them demanding the return of your money plus the costs of writing/posting your letter, as well as highlighting that you weren't issued a receipt and the misreading of your plate.

Marcos the black

Do they issue receipts?

If not then you could write to them demanding the return of your money plus the costs of writing/posting your letter, as well as highlighting that you weren't issued a receipt and the misreading of your plate.
I don't think they issue receipts, never checked, and haven't seen other drivers getting them, but that isn't to say that they don't issue them.
But if the machine says that no money was paid in, why would it issue a receipt? According to their technology I hadn't paid anything at all...

ocoonassa

Toll booths? What toll booths?

subic

I don't think they issue receipts, never checked, and haven't seen other drivers getting them, but that isn't to say that they don't issue them.
But if the machine says that no money was paid in, why would it issue a receipt? According to their technology I hadn't paid anything at all...
If they didn't automatically issue you a receipt for your payment then you can't prove that you paid the money which puts the onus on them. So you include that in your letter and demand the return of your money plus your costs for writing/posting the letter. I assume it was an un-maned toll so you couldn't safely get out of your car to dispute the issue which you could also include in your letter.

Basically you can charge them for the return of your money plus all your costs, which you can determine and it's up to them to dispute your costs.

New Threads

Most Replies