• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Apple cancels Athenry Data Cantre

stanley

In the current action, Ulster Bank said the brothers also sought to deceive it by using a company which the bank described as “a front” for one of the brothers to buy the land for just €1.5 million, where the original loan for the property was €21.5 million.

That is some knock down price.................

The absolute gall/cheek of them to try to pull off this stroke on the bank is incredible, were they hoping for a slip-up or was the nod nod wink wink game in play.

recedite

The absolute gall/cheek of them to try to pull off this stroke on the bank is incredible, were they hoping for a slip-up or was the nod nod wink wink game in play.
Very difficult to know. Is it possible to sell a mortgaged property without the bank knowing and agreeing to the sale?
Perhaps reminiscent of when some of the Nama properties were snapped up. We'll never find out who knew what.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nama-cleared-own-executive-to-buy-developers-property-26883994.html

Either way, there have been some very dodgy dealings going on there.
I'd say Apple are glad they went to Denmark instead, if that's the kind of "carry on" they can expect in Ireland.

Orbit v2

Going to cost objectors a few quid now.
The court made a provision decision that each side pay their own costs. If the appellants decide to seek their costs against the Board, that issue will be decided later.
They're lucky they aren't being saddled with all the costs, but the above suggests that the state might get hit with it yet. I certainly hope not.

recedite

In its judgment today, the five judge court ruled the Board was not obliged to carry out a full EIA on the entire masterplan.
That's good to know. Marvelous news.

Meanwhile in Denmark the data centre is nearing the end of the construction phase.
100% powered by renewable energy. How's that for environmental impact?

And I see from the site map that google has bought the site next door for another one.
That's quite a lucrative industry the Danes are developing there.
And to think it could have been us !
(if we hadn't been such small-minded gobshites.)

Last edited:

Patslatt1

Very very disappointing. Our planning laws urgently need reviewing.
A government of the NIMBY home owner voters is the culprit. People who own homes want nothing built near them. The only solution is severe limits on councils' ability to exploit environmental regulation to block legitimate construction projects in order to please NIMBY voters who decide elections.

cozzy121

This doesnt mean the data centre plan is back on.

No, Thankfully Apple have pulled the plug on it, no doubt it would have been used for further corporate tax evasion

wombat

That's good to know. Marvelous news.

Meanwhile in Denmark the data centre is nearing the end of the construction phase.
100% powered by renewable energy. How's that for environmental impact?
…...And I see from the site map that google has bought the site next door for another one.
That's quite a lucrative industry the Danes are developing there.
Is it true that it is powered by 100% renewable energy? Does it shut down in calm weather or have they battery backup? How lucrative is it for the state? data centres create a minimal number of jobs yet the electrical infrastructure to supply power is quite expensive - remember, the power has to be delivered from generator to data centre. I know data centres are profitable for those who run them, I'm not convinced that they are of great value to anyone else.

stanley

No, Thankfully Apple have pulled the plug on it, no doubt it would have been used for further corporate tax evasion
What exactly do you mean, the so called "tax evasion" by Apple is openly encouraged by Ireland against the wishes of other EU members, Apple just follows the rules.

Watcher2

Very difficult to know. Is it possible to sell a mortgaged property without the bank knowing and agreeing to the sale?
Perhaps reminiscent of when some of the Nama properties were snapped up. We'll never find out who knew what.
NAMA 'cleared' own executive to buy developer's property - Independent.ie

Either way, there have been some very dodgy dealings going on there.
I'd say Apple are glad they went to Denmark instead, if that's the kind of "carry on" they can expect in Ireland.
Just like we'll probably never know how many other Tom Gilmartins there have been who were shaken down by the political types in this country. We would never even have known about Tom Gilmartin if it wasn't for this display of arrogance and gobshytery at the start of this clip:

stanley

Just like we'll probably never know how many other Tom Gilmartins there have been who were shaken down by the political types in this country. We would never even have known about Tom Gilmartin if it wasn't for this display of arrogance and gobshytery at the start of this clip:

Tommy G was a hero of the Republic, he eventually buried Ahern and his kind.

recedite

Is it true that it is powered by 100% renewable energy? Does it shut down in calm weather or have they battery backup? How lucrative is it for the state? data centres create a minimal number of jobs yet the electrical infrastructure to supply power is quite expensive - remember, the power has to be delivered from generator to data centre. I know data centres are profitable for those who run them, I'm not convinced that they are of great value to anyone else.
I don't know the technical set-up, but presumably they have battery storage.
If you are reading this, you are benefiting from data storage, because this thread is stored on a server somewhere.

wombat

If you are reading this, you are benefiting from data storage, because this thread is stored on a server somewhere.
Not if the mains power is on which is what my question relates to, normally, windpower is backed by open cycle gas turbines or diesels which can start immediately the wind stops blowing.

Northsideman

Not if the mains power is on which is what my question relates to, normally, windpower is backed by open cycle gas turbines or diesels which can start immediately the wind stops blowing.
Gas is viable diesel ain't. To be sure of continuity the storage tanks would need to be massive and not one data centre in Ireland has this this type of huge facility.

wombat

Gas is viable diesel ain't. To be sure of continuity the storage tanks would need to be massive and not one data centre in Ireland has this this type of huge facility.
My question is about the claim that they are 100% renewable. They may sign a contract with a renewable energy company to supply their forecast power or even have a contract saying that the renewable energy supplier provides their demand 100% of the time but what happens when the wind doesn't blow or for solar, when the sun doesn't shine?

Northsideman

My question is about the claim that they are 100% renewable. They may sign a contract with a renewable energy company to supply their forecast power or even have a contract saying that the renewable energy supplier provides their demand 100% of the time but what happens when the wind doesn't blow or for solar, when the sun doesn't shine?
Then they must switch to gas and their renewable claim goes out the window. Although in practice with the power coming from the national grid it's all jumbled up anyway.

wombat

Then they must switch to gas and their renewable claim goes out the window. Although in practice with the power coming from the national grid it's all jumbled up anyway.
That's my opinion too, I'm sceptical about the benefits of data centres to the rest of the population, obviously they are profitable for their owners.

mangaire2

I don't know,
say however, they have renewable power, be it wind power or whatever, that exceeds their maximum demand, & that excess is sold to the grid,
& they draw power from the grid when the required renewable is not available,
& the power that they draw from the grid is balanced by the renewable power that they give to the grid,
then the operation can be considered as '100% renewable' ?