• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Apple cancels Athenry Data Cantre

wombat

I don't know,
say however, they have renewable power, be it wind power or whatever, that exceeds their maximum demand, & that excess is sold to the grid,
& they draw power from the grid when the required renewable is not available,
& the power that they draw from the grid is balanced by the renewable power that they give to the grid,
then the operation can be considered as '100% renewable' ?
That's reasonable except its unlikely their windfarm will be the only one effected by lack of wind. Its a general problem with windpower and it has not yet been solved.

Northsideman

That's my opinion too, I'm sceptical about the benefits of data centres to the rest of the population, obviously they are profitable for their owners.
The growth in data centres is only going to explode, with machines becoming smart and loaded with AI and driverless vehicles coming. If we continue on this path and there is a disaster that wipes out the power supplies we will be back to the stone age overnight.

cozzy121

What exactly do you mean, the so called "tax evasion" by Apple is openly encouraged by Ireland against the wishes of other EU members, Apple just follows the rules.
you are correct it's "State sponsored, tax evasion"

Orbit v2

Tech told pay for wind farms

The facts the Apple luvvies don't seem to be aware of
The Danes are doing this the right way. They (like us) had no policy against data centres. Unlike us, their planning system isn't beholden to Nimbies and they also have a more sceptical courts system and a less litigious populace than us. They are reviewing that policy now, which may end up influencing future decisions. I suggested the exact thing they are contemplating here over a year ago.