Appoint Ulster Unionist to Seanad: FG Senator

Wascurito

One of two empty seats in the Seanad should be allocated to a person with an Ulster unionist background, according to a Fine Gael Senator.

Frank Feighan, who apparently also believes that the Republic of Ireland should join the British Commonwealth, says that with Brexit looming, it is "imperative from a symbolic, political and practical level that a Unionist voice is now needed more than ever in the Oireachtas".

Personally, I don't have a problem with the suggestion but I think it shows a typical naïveté by some in the southern establishment who imagine a nice, fluffy unionist who will be happy to consider such a proposal. I don't think such unionists exist.

The paradox of unionism is that while it asserts its Britishness, it is quite á la carte in the parts of Britishness it wants to embrace. It doesn't so much want unity with Britain as separateness from the Republic of Ireland. So, Feighan's proposal will be anathema to anyone calling themselves a Unionist.

Bill

Well nobody will listen to them there, so whatever.

Just Jack

Feighan himself would be the perfect candidate.

bokuden

Fg once again siding with institutional human rights violators. They are some piece of work.

Niall996

Fine Gael embarrass themselves yet again.

GDPR

Sounds like mega-trolling to me.

Folk of a Unionist background have never been under-represented in the Senate.

bokuden

Such timing too. Maybe its a deflection from the housing and rent disaster fg have created.

cricket

Ruth Patterson might be the one, the tanning salons in Dublin are much better than those in Belfast.

between the bridges

One of two empty seats in the Seanad should be allocated to a person with an Ulster unionist background, according to a Fine Gael Senator.

Frank Feighan, who apparently also believes that the Republic of Ireland should join the British Commonwealth, says that with Brexit looming, it is "imperative from a symbolic, political and practical level that a Unionist voice is now needed more than ever in the Oireachtas".

Personally, I don't have a problem with the suggestion but I think it shows a typical naïveté by some in the southern establishment who imagine a nice, fluffy unionist who will be happy to consider such a proposal. I don't think such unionists exist.

The paradox of unionism is that while it asserts its Britishness, it is quite á la carte in the parts of Britishness it wants to embrace. It doesn't so much want unity with Britain as separateness from the Republic of Ireland. So, Feighan's proposal will be anathema to anyone calling themselves a Unionist.
Tis the pay in yo-yos or real money?...

bokuden

Ruth Patterson might be the one, the tanning salons in Dublin are much better than those in Belfast.
Emma pengelly all the way!

bokuden

Getting the Unionists involved would not be a bad idea.
Do we really need more help with gerrymandering and keeping the poor locked in ghettos while we give all the state jobs and social housing to our mates?

between the bridges

The most representative person of Unionism the ignorant cow Arlene Foster
But you couldn't let her in the door of any civilised institution
Does yer institution allow ye to have visitor's...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies