Aras sends car North to collect staffer

RainyDay

Does the staffer pay BIK for the employer-provided travel to her workplace?

Sync

Sigh. You copied the wrong bit. Otherwise this is just on the cars in general and we've a huge existing thread on that.

President Mary McAleese's state car and garda driver have repeatedly been used to transport a housekeeper working at Aras an Uachtaran from Northern Ireland to the Phoenix Park on Sunday nights, the Sunday Independent can reveal.

According to sources at the Aras, the Volvo S80 car and garda protection driver have regularly been used to pick up a senior member of the housekeeping staff, who lives in Northern Ireland, at a hotel near the Border -- to bring them back to Dublin to begin the working week.

It has been confirmed that the senior member of staff travels by train on Thursday evenings but is collected by the state car and garda driver on Sunday evenings.
Complete, ridiculous waste of money.

picador

Relax max. I copied the bit that I thought was of interest. Whilst on the subject, why is a person from NI working in the Aras? Do we not have an unemployment problem here.
She was elected - the first time at any rate.

dalywise

Good to expose the goody goody hype of the Aras. But interesting that the story is in the Indo, FF's favourite. Did FF spinners feed this to the Indo to deflect attention from their own extravagance? Even St Mary isn't free from FF dirty tricks it seems.

greengoose2

She was elected - the first time at any rate.
According to sources at the Aras, the Volvo S80 car and garda protection driver have regularly been used to pick up a senior member of the housekeeping staff, who lives in Northern Ireland, at a hotel near the Border -- to bring them back to Dublin to begin the working week.

The senior person was never elected to anything!!!

Grumpy Jack

I know few here on P.ie will believe or accept it but the issue of State cars for ministers, president, senior judges, ex-taoisigh, etc, is a security matter and based on Garda advice. No govt in this climate ia going to ignore Garda advice and remove State cars. If a minister or ex-Taoiseach is then attacked there would be hell to pay.

And after Louise Minihan's painting of Mary Harney last week, it ain't gonna be changed soon. Was told senior cops in HQ very spooked by that. While LM only had and used paint, what if it was a knife or a gun? Such thoughts are now exercising quite a few minds up in Phoenix Park.

Apparently, Berte Ahern is considered at serious risk - but for the life of me can't think why. And security has been stepped up around Cowen and some other ministers at public events.

And for those who think who think the Garda advice should just be ignored, ponder these names: Olaf Palme and Anna Lindh.

There was an interesting piece in Saturday's Indo review on ministerial cars in other small EU states.

The Common Merc-et - Lifestyle, Frontpage - Independent.ie

I laughed at this line though - can you just imagine it here? Dempsey or Ahern or one of the others causing havoc in Dublin traffic?

In 2003, a new Estonian coalition dispensed with official drivers as part of an economy drive. "Their attitude was that all ministers should drive themselves. It did no good. They were a danger on the roads. You'd have a minister behind the wheel having to be in two places at one time, rehearsing a speech, then maybe trying to find a parking space in a hurry. Disaster. So now we have civilian drivers."

gijoe

I think it was the Sunday World maybe circa 3 years back that ran a story about McAlesse's daughter being dropped off and picked up from work in the ESB by this car with Garda driver as well.

Goodbody

I know few here on P.ie will believe or accept it but the issue of State cars for ministers, president, senior judges, ex-taoisigh, etc, is a security matter and based on Garda advice. No govt in this climate ia going to ignore Garda advice and remove State cars. If a minister or ex-Taoiseach is then attacked there would be hell to pay.

And after Louise Minihan's painting of Mary Harney last week, it ain't gonna be changed soon. Was told senior cops in HQ very spooked by that. While LM only had and used paint, what if it was a knife or a gun? Such thoughts are now exercising quite a few minds up in Phoenix Park.

Apparently, Berte Ahern is considered at serious risk - but for the life of me can't think why. And security has been stepped up around Cowen and some other ministers at public events.

And for those who think who think the Garda advice should just be ignored, ponder these names: Olaf Palme and Anna Lindh.

There was an interesting piece in Saturday's Indo review on ministerial cars in other small EU states.

The Common Merc-et - Lifestyle, Frontpage - Independent.ie

I laughed at this line though - can you just imagine it here? Dempsey or Ahern or one of the others causing havoc in Dublin traffic?
What security risks have the Gardai advised regarding the Housekeeper? That someone will try to steal her Flash?

Sync

I think it was the Sunday World maybe circa 3 years back that ran a story about McAlesse's daughter being dropped off and picked up from work in the ESB by this car with Garda driver as well.
Yup:

Back in 2006 Emma, who reportedly has a low security risk tag attached to her, made the news after it was revealed that she was being ferried to work in Dublin by a garda, one of those supposed to provide 24-hour armed special branch cover to her mother. No Garda protection is supposed to be assigned to Emma during working or social hours.

Faced with criticism, the President's office issued a brief statement saying: "We do not comment on security-related matters. The deployment of Garda resources is a matter for Garda management." But rank and file garda were believed to be upset, claiming that their profession was being demeaned.
A very private affair - Lifestyle, Frontpage - Independent.ie

To be fair though, we don't know if she or the family been subject to specific threat elevation during that time period.

Grumpy Jack

What security risks have the Gardai advised regarding the Housekeeper? That someone will try to steal her Flash?
Can't think of one. But this was probably authorised by some civil service lackey in the Aras - the president would have absolutely no authority over such decisions and would probably be unaware of them. If she did and asked/demanded it then she should consider her position.

So much of what goes on in this State is simply down to the 'Ah, shure we've always done it this way..." attitude that whoever makes these decisions simply doesn't get that it's taxpayers money being squandered - or even care.

Goodbody

Can't think of one. But this was probably authorised by some civil service lackey in the Aras - the president would have absolutely no authority over such decisions and would probably be unaware of them. If she did and asked/demanded it then she should consider her position.

So much of what goes on in this State is simply down to the 'Ah, shure we've always done it this way..." attitude that whoever makes these decisions simply doesn't get that it's taxpayers money being squandered - or even care.
A civil servant does not decide on their own volition that a State Car with Garda Driver needs to go on a regular basis to pick up a housekeeper living in a foreign country. Someone requested or ordered it. McAleese is a Professor of Constitutional Law. She's not some old dear in a nursing home, oblivious to what's going on around her. At least I hope not.

Grumpy Jack

A civil servant does not decide on their own volition that a State Car with Garda Driver needs to go on a regular basis to pick up a housekeeper living in a foreign country. Someone requested or ordered it. McAleese is a Professor of Constitutional Law. She's not some old dear in a nursing home, oblivious to what's going on around her. At least I hope not.
Everything that goes on in govt/state is done by civil servants - president and ministers often get little say or are even aware of these things until they end up in papers. These things are done automatically. It's been that way for decades. If president or ministers had to make every little decision on every matter around them nothing would ever be done. That's why they have all these staff - what do you think all these people do all day?

GreenBack

The senior person was never elected to anything!!!
I think the point is that the president is from NI. Which invalidates your comment "why is a person from NI working in the Aras?"

Mushroom

Everything that goes on in govt/state is done by civil servants - president and ministers often get little say or are even aware of thtese things until they end up in papers. These things are done automatically. It's been that way for decades. If president or ministers had to make every little decision on every matter around them nothing would ever be done. That's why they have all these staff - what do you think all these people do all day?

Yeah - I well remember senior civil servants battering Albert Reynolds on the head with a spanner to force him to bring in a tax amnesty to help save some big FF cronies.

And poor Charlie McCreevy was tortured for 16 hours in a Government Buildings dungeon by the Chairman of the OPW before he agreed to bring in decentralisation.

And of course, the Sec Gen of Transport recently used a cattle prod on poor Noelie Dempsey to force him to fly to Derry rather than drive to Donegal.

:roll:

Grumpy Jack

Yeah - I well remember senior civil servants battering Albert Reynolds on the head with a spanner to force him to bring in a tax amnesty to help save some big FF cronies.

And poor Charlie McCreevy was tortured for 16 hours in a Government Buildings dungeon by the Chairman of the OPW before he agreed to bring in decentralisation.

And of course, the Sec Gen of Transport recently used a cattle prod on poor Noelie Dempsey to force him to fly to Derry rather than drive to Donegal.

:roll:
Big policy decisions are a tad different to little day to day matters that go on such as picking up staff members. Seriously, it is such a minor matter that it wouldn't make it up the chain as far as McAleese.

Think about it for a second. I'm no fan of McAleese but I doubt very, very much that she would be stupid enough to ask for this or authorise it.

As for Dempsey's jaunt, that had to be authorised by Cowen - all govt jet use has to be signed off by the Taoiseach. So again it is totally irrelevant to the matter being discussed.

greengoose2

I think the point is that the president is from NI. Which invalidates your comment "why is a person from NI working in the Aras?"
Read the comment and show me where I said:"why is a person from NI working in the Aras?"

Your attempt at debate is pathetic.

Let's try again...

The car is being used to pick up a staff member who lives in NI. It may be noted that the hotel mentioned is near the border. It is not stated on which side of the border!

Now is that simple enough for you or would you like me to get some kiddie spelling blocks for you?

greengoose2

Big policy decisions are a tad different to little day to day matters that go on such as picking up staff members. Seriously, it is such a minor matter that it wouldn't make it up the chain as far as McAleese.

Think about it for a second. I'm no fan of McAleese but I doubt very, very much that she would be stupid enough to ask for this or authorise it.
Would she be clever enough to deauthorise flagrant waste of our taxes?

As for Dempsey's jaunt, that had to be authorised by Cowen - all govt jet use has to be signed off by the Taoiseach. So again it is totally irrelevant to the matter being discussed.
Since when does Macaleese make policy decisions? Could we have some indication of some of these decisions in the interest of seeing how the taxpayers money is being squandered?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies