Aras sends car North to collect staffer

Inda Kenny

Obviously the train is clearly not good enough for this mere mortal of a housekeeper.
Theres a lot of nonsense spouted about security.
Liam Cosgrave and Garret have been out of office for how long now. Security has been stepped up for Biffo wonder why.

Tomas Mor

The sincere Mother of Nation who is so honest and profound has been caught out-she is just as bad as her former party FF.

picador

Forgive me for I'm not exactly clear on this. Is the issue that is most annoying people that the car/driver is being used to transport an employee? Or is it that the car is going north?

If say, the employee was going to/from Port Laoise, which is about the same distance from Dublin would those people who are annoyed be just as annoyed? It is about a two hour round trip to the border and back to an t-áras, less for a well-trained driver Train and bus services are not too great on a Sunday night. This reeks of much ado about nothing

Luigi Vampa

A senior one with the authority to do it, as I already said.
You really think a Senior Civil servant thinks that much about a domestic ? They love shítting on lower grades and being petty with them every chance they get. They are hardly going to dispatch the Presidents car across the border, and have to liaise with the security services of NI, just to collect what they would see as a mere flunky for her days work. Also be under no illusions, if the President insisted on it, after advising her to do otherwise, they would then say "yes ma'am, of course, if you insist", and then chuckle to themselves, "it's your funeral luv."

Last edited:

Luigi Vampa

Forgive me for I'm not exactly clear on this. Is the issue that is most annoying people that the car/driver is being used to transport an employee? Or is it that the car is going north?

If say, the employee was going to/from Port Laoise, which is about the same distance from Dublin would those people who are annoyed be just as annoyed? It is about a two hour round trip to the border and back to an t-áras, less for a well-trained driver Train and bus services are not too great on a Sunday night. This reeks of much ado about nothing
Since when was the Presidents offical chauffer driven state limo, complete with armed police driver, for collecting employees and bringing them to work ?

RainyDay

McAleese doesn't manage her own office - that's not part of her role. There's a whole civil service staff to do that. And you will find that a civil servant will have signed off on this.
Not a chance. No CS official would put their ass on the line for this. CS officials are very, very careful about what they sign. Unless there is some official protocol out there that says 'housekeepers get ferried to work in a State car', no official is going to put their ass on the line for this. Even ignoring the abuse of State resources, this is creating a Benefit-In-Kind liability for the employer, if they don't declare it.

kalipa

Sorry if this has been posted before, I haven't read the whole thread.

Maybe it's about time our politicians and representatives went back to the old fashioned idea of integrity that has been lost in the last couple of decades in favour of greed and the sense of entitlement at any cost.

Evidence of an Irish politician's scruples on expenses . . . in 1922

A LETTER has been uncovered showing a politician’s concern about his personal use of an election car. Surely some mistake? Well, it was almost 90 years ago; and it did involve Michael Collins.

The letter, written 18 days before his death at Béal na mBláth, records him offering to pay half of the bill for a car hired for canvassing during the June 1922 election because some of the journeys were personal trips.

The letter was written to Skibbereen solicitor Tom Healy who had acted as election agent for Collins and seven other candidates. He hired cars from local firm Johnson and Perrott for canvassing.

However, the Civil War erupted after the pro-treaty victory and Cork was in chaos. The solicitor was concerned about the outstanding bills from the election and wrote to the five Cork candidates who had been elected. Collins received the letter by hand on August 4th and replied the same day. “ . . . I can only say that I think it would not be fair to charge full expenses for the car which I had from Messrs. Johnson Perrot [sic] for about a week to the ELECTION FUND”, he wrote. “Some of the journeys were private journeys, and I would say if the bill were got from Messrs. Johnson Perrot that half of it would be Election expenses and I would pay the other half myself.”

He had the car for about five days.
Evidence of an Irish politician's scruples on expenses . . . in 1922 - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 08, 2010

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies