Are all public hospital diagnostic labs closed on weekends despite the pandemic?

Patslatt1

I heard that an acquaintance was tested for Covid-19 virus by Limerick University Hospital lab but won't get the test result back till Monday as the lab is closed for the weekend. This suggested that all unionised hospital labs might also be closed on weekends. Checking on St Vincents University Hospital Dublin,I read a message online by the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine department, "Drop off specimens to Pathology reception Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm". In a phone call to reception at St James Hospital Dublin, the receptionist said the microbiology laboratory was closed on the weekend.
In the middle of the C-19 pandemic, diagnostic labs should at the very least maintain weekend skeleton crews. The virus doesn't stop spreading on weekends.

World Health Organisation's advice to "Test,Test, Test" isn't taken seriously enough by the Irish government. Recent research suggests that asymptomatic carriers of the virus spread a very high proportion of infections,so there is a compelling need for maximising testing on people without symptoms working in groups.See ACP Journals

Prester Jim

No, I have several friends working in them countrywide and they do shift work including on Xmas day. Could you not have just done the research yourself and saved setting up another PS bashing thread?

Uganda

No, I have several friends working in them countrywide and they do shift work including on Xmas day. Could you not have just done the research yourself and saved setting up another PS bashing thread?
if saying the receptionist said the lab was closed on the weekend, how Is this PS bashing?

And if a hospital posts a notice to drop off samples between Mobday to Friday 8.00 am to 4pm how is drawing attention to thIs “PS bashing”?

The labs should be open 7 days a week in the middle of the biggest health emergency in over 100 years.

And if saying so is “PS bashing” then, guilty as charged, M Lud

Patslatt1

If you aren't bashing my blogs as usual,name the labs,please, so we can verify your claim and praise their efforts. The fact that you haven't named them is suspect. You haven't specified that their shifts include weekends, though implying that by mentioning Xmas Day.

ruserious

“I heard that an acquaintance was tested for Covid-19 virus by Limerick University Hospital lab but won't get the test result back till Monday as the lab is closed for the weekend. This suggested that all unionised hospital labs might also be closed on weekends.”

That doesn’t follow. Your thread is an unverified piece of crap drawing generalisations through what can only be described as very flexible mind gymnastics in an attempt to bash public servants. You are so boring pat. Go and get the ride for yourself.

Expose the lot of them

If you aren't bashing my blogs as usual,name the labs,please, so we can verify your claim and praise their efforts. The fact that you haven't named them is suspect. You haven't specified that their shifts include weekends, though implying that by mentioning Xmas Day.
Your outpourings are not "blogs", better described as "single transferable anti PS rants".

Patslatt1

“I heard that an acquaintance was tested for Covid-19 virus by Limerick University Hospital lab but won't get the test result back till Monday as the lab is closed for the weekend. This suggested that all unionised hospital labs might also be closed on weekends.”

That doesn’t follow. Your thread is an unverified piece of crap drawing generalisations through what can only be described as very flexible mind gymnastics in an attempt to bash public servants. You are so boring pat. Go and get the ride for yourself.
Your grasp of simple logic is pathetic. The fact that the labs in two of Dublin's biggest hospitals are shut on weekends is grounds for generalising that such labs in general are shut. My blog title invites confirmation of this from p.ie readers. Your victimhood response sounds like a defensive remark from an overentitled unionised public sector worker.

ruserious

Your grasp of simple logic is pathetic. The fact that the labs in two of Dublin's biggest hospitals are shut on weekends is grounds for generalising that such labs in general are shut. My blog title invites confirmation of this from p.ie readers. Your victimhood response sounds like a defensive remark from an overentitled unionised public sector worker.
Your Thread title is presented as fact yet you expect others to go an investigate it. You’re full of shit, Pat.

Expose the lot of them

Get over the victimhood mentality.
You are the one whose posts demonstrate a "victimhood mentality", not mine. You seem to be a constant victim of; public sector unions, planning laws and a raft of other groups and induviduals. Bit like Eliza Doolittle's father, just different groups victimising you.

As for your call to the reception in James, what exactly was your question?

I know for a fact, from personal experience, that the labs in that hospital have a 24/7, 365 days per year service for inpatients and those in A&E. What the hospital does not have, nor does any hospital, public or private, a lab service for any randomer who rocks up without a letter from a GP.

But hell you have never allowed facts to get in the way of your ranting and raving, why change the habits of a lifetime.

Prester Jim

CUH is where one works and James's in Dublin another.
Where did your 2 pint wielding mate work?
There is a skeleton crew at night but they are busy enough.

Prester Jim

And here is a bit of proof that you could have attained in a minute with google:
Out of hours, they only do emergency samples but will be puttering away while waiting for the call.
Or maybe you really don't know how to google. Your astounding lack of knowledge and blowhard anti-PS threads that are shot down instantly suggest not.

Patslatt1

Your Thread title is presented as fact yet you expect others to go an investigate it. You’re full of shit, Pat.
Title presented as a question. I reported your crude gutter insult to the mods, reluctantly,but there is a limit to crudity even on anonymous posts.

Patslatt1

You are the one whose posts demonstrate a "victimhood mentality", not mine. You seem to be a constant victim of; public sector unions, planning laws and a raft of other groups and induviduals. Bit like Eliza Doolittle's father, just different groups victimising you.

As for your call to the reception in James, what exactly was your question?

I know for a fact, from personal experience, that the labs in that hospital have a 24/7, 365 days per year service for inpatients and those in A&E. What the hospital does not have, nor does any hospital, public or private, a lab service for any randomer who rocks up without a letter from a GP.

But hell you have never allowed facts to get in the way of your ranting and raving, why change the habits of a lifetime.
When I phoned the receptionist to ask if the microbiology lab was open, she said it was closed. The 24/7 service you claim can't be provided by a lab closed on weekends.
It's often said that Irish hospital beds are often blocked by patients waiting till Mondays for diagnostic test results.

Buchaill Dana

what didn’t happen - the receptionist saying it?

how the hell do you know?
Because Pat is a bullshitter. He no more rang the hospital than the man on the moon.

Expose the lot of them

When I phoned the receptionist to ask if the microbiology lab was open, she said it was closed. The 24/7 service you claim can't be provided by a lab closed on weekends.
It's often said that Irish hospital beds are often blocked by patients waiting till Mondays for diagnostic test results.
Lab tests are carried out throughout the weekend. So you call a receptionist with a vague query from.a randomer, of course it is closed to you. Had you a genuine medical need for a lab test, you would, if not an in patient, present at A&E as a patient with a medical need for a test supported by a referral from a GP.

Should you need a covid test that would be supporded by GP/HSE referral, you would be sent to a covid testing station. The last place a potential covid case should do is turn up at random at a hospital lab.

Patslatt1

And here is a bit of proof that you could have attained in a minute with google:
Out of hours, they only do emergency samples but will be puttering away while waiting for the call.
Or maybe you really don't know how to google. Your astounding lack of knowledge and blowhard anti-PS threads that are shot down instantly suggest not.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH Cork university departments of molecular genetics, immunology and clinical microbiology are open 9 to 5 M-F and only do emergency samples out of hours which sounds like the barest minimum possible.
In the pandemic, it is vital to maintain a good level of weekend testing,including testing of asymptomatic people in workplaces. Even a few days of delay in testing positive cases can be catastrophic as the UK and the US have found out. The positive cases can each infect several people in a few days who in turn infect others in an accelerating contagion. The infections might go from say 2 cases to 6 in six days but in a continuing pace could grow to 1600 plus cases in a month at a 25% daily compounded growth rate.
As for your persistent disparaging remarks, your students must surely despise you if that's your classroom style.

Last edited:

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom