Are all public hospital diagnostic labs closed on weekends despite the pandemic?

Patslatt1

The ec
Lab tests are carried out throughout the weekend. So you call a receptionist with a vague query from.a randomer, of course it is closed to you. Had you a genuine medical need for a lab test, you would, if not an in patient, present at A&E as a patient with a medical need for a test supported by a referral from a GP.

Should you need a covid test that would be supporded by GP/HSE referral, you would be sent to a covid testing station. The last place a potential covid case should do is turn up at random at a hospital lab.
The receptionist knew that the lab was closed, a simple fact. I gave her no impression that I needed a test. Closed could mean that only emergency tests were available as in Cork University Hospital but that's not good enough in the pandemic.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I heard that an acquaintance was tested for Covid-19 virus by Limerick University Hospital lab but won't get the test result back till Monday as the lab is closed for the weekend. This suggested that all unionised hospital labs might also be closed on weekends. Checking on St Vincents University Hospital Dublin,I read a message online by the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine department, "Drop off specimens to Pathology reception Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm". In a phone call to reception at St James Hospital Dublin, the receptionist said the microbiology laboratory was closed on the weekend.
In the middle of the C-19 pandemic, diagnostic labs should at the very least maintain weekend skeleton crews. The virus doesn't stop spreading on weekends.

World Health Organisation's advice to "Test,Test, Test" isn't taken seriously enough by the Irish government. Recent research suggests that asymptomatic carriers of the virus spread a very high proportion of infections,so there is a compelling need for maximising testing on people without symptoms working in groups.See ACP Journals
Is Google closed on the weekend, despite the pandemic?

Prester Jim

And here is a bit of proof that you could have attained in a minute with google:
Out of hours, they only do emergency samples but will be puttering away while waiting for the call.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH Cork university departments of molecular genetics, immunology and clinical microbiology are open 9 to 5 M-F and only do emergency samples out of hours which sounds like the barest minimum possible.
In the pandemic, it is vital to maintain a good level of weekend testing,including testing of asymptomatic people in workplaces. Even a few days of delay in testing positive cases can be catastrophic as the UK and the US have found out. The positive cases can each infect several people in a few days who in turn infect others in an accelerating contagion. The infections might go from say 2 cases to 6 in six days but in a continuing pace could grow to 1600 plus cases in a month at a 25% daily compounded growth rate.
As for your persistent disparaging remarks, your students must surely despise you if that's your classroom style.
You are 11 years on this site telling fibs, ignoring facts [resented to you that blow your OPs out of the water and pulling facts out of your hole to support your BS, I can't just pretend to respect you at this stage, that would be dishonest.

Prester Jim

The ec

The receptionist knew that the lab was closed, a simple fact. I gave her no impression that I needed a test. Closed could mean that only emergency tests were available as in Cork University Hospital but that's not good enough in the pandemic.
Wait now is this OP openly about a personal gripe?
Why don't you talk to Joe on Monday?

Patslatt1

You are 11 years on this site telling fibs, ignoring facts [resented to you that blow your OPs out of the water and pulling facts out of your hole to support your BS, I can't just pretend to respect you at this stage, that would be dishonest.
After years of your crude insults, I just reported you to mods.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom