• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are Black and Asian Irish people no longer counted as Irish?

locke

From an article in today's Irish Times

The headline

Almost 20% of Galway's citizens are non-Irish
And the start of the article

ALMOST ONE-FIFTH of Galway city’s population describes itself as non-Irish in a new atlas of socio-economic trends.

Just over 78 per cent of residents are “white Irish”, while almost 2 per cent are “white Irish Traveller” and almost 3 per cent are “Black Irish”, the atlas published today by the Galway City Development Board states.

Almost 2 per cent are “Asian Irish” and just over 11 per cent are “other white”. Some 2 per cent of the population did not state what ethnic or cultural background it represented in the 2006 Census which was used to compile the atlas. The publication shows that population growth has levelled off somewhat in what has been described over the last decade as Europe’s fastest growing city of its size.
Now, to me 78 + 2 + 3 + 2 = 85

So, 15% are non-Irish. And it's a stretch to call 15% nearly 20%.

And it's much closer to 1 in 6 or 1 in 7 than 1 in 5.

Is it too much to expect more from the Irish Times?

Oblivion

I'm not sure I understand your point, seeing as "Black Irish" and "Asian Irish" were both mentioned in the figures.

DaBrow

Why would they be classed as Irish anyway? That doesn't make sense and to me sound like an oxymoron

Black people are African in origin and not idigenous to this country, they are a separate cultural & ethnic group to the Native Irish.

The same applies for Asians aswell.......

Also a child born from Marriages are classed as Half-Irish........ just the same as if a child was born from a british mother/father and a foreign mother would be classed as Half-British.

Sync

It does seem to have been phrased in an alarmist, inaccurate way.

locke

I'm not sure I understand your point, seeing as "Black Irish" and "Asian Irish" were both mentioned in the figures.

( How many of the "white other" are from other EU countries like Poland? Quite a few, I suspect ).
The point is that the journalist/headline writer clearly classifies them as non-Irish when coming up with their figures.

It's saying that we don't really regard them as Irish, unless their background is properly white Irish.

sandar

those classific ations are desinged to respect the heritaged of the people as well as acknowldeging their Irishness.
In Britain I am listed on such forms as Whhite-Irish-Biritish

DaBrow

have you got a map of your bloodline that we can see?
I have very small traces of Norman ancestry, but that doesn't make me french does it? Especially when that occured over 800 years ago and they intermarried continously with with the people of galway; Yes you heard me correctly. My people are from Galway originally.

Why the stupid question?

Any Ethnologist can quickly confirm that Asians and Blacks (AKA Africans) are completely different to any european ethnic background, especially the irish people.

So the term Asian-Irish or Black-Irish (Outside it's original meaning) is an oxymoron....... I knew a guy in Britain born there with a Pakistani Father and an Irish Mother, he didn't regard himself irish in anyway shape or form.

constitutionus

well.

a cursory look at the refcom add for lisbon clearly shows theres no irish black or asian people in the country :)

phil lynott must be spinning in his grave.

toughbutfair

I don't think of people not born and raised here as Irish regardless of colour. No real hard rule on the issue, even accents help lean it one way or the other. Some of my nephews and nieces have English accents and live there and I think of them as English even though my sister thinks they are Irish.

constitutionus

up to recently that was the law.

there were loads of asians born in ireland that came from vietnam back in the early 80s and samantha mumba isnt exaclty a freckeled red head.

still dont think she can vote as she's living in LA now, seems only jonny brutal can claim that right :)

locke

Hypersensitive liberal hunting for something to offend their PC sensibilities.
What a surprise.
Or maybe I've seen the result of that kind of attitude in two other countries I've lived in and don't want to see Ireland go the same way.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Or maybe I've seen the result of that kind of attitude in two other countries I've lived in and don't want to see Ireland go the same way.
Nope, I'm going with you're a hypersensitive liberal desperately looking for something to be offended about.
This is the IRISH TIMES, ffs. They are reporting, in their usual sloppy manner, on official government classifications for inhabitants of Ireland, but their liberal PC credentials are impeccable.
What 'kind of attitude' exactly do you attribute to the Irish Times that has your knickers so twisted?

locke

It has as much credibility as me categorising you as a cranky old bigot, but let's stick to the point.

The attitude is that people who are born and raised in Ireland are somehow not Irish because of the colour of their skin and don't count. It leads to a marginalisation of people from those minorities and in the long term, you end up turning Blanchardstown into a new Broadwater Farm.

This is a separate issue to the rights and wrongs of immigration. We're talking about a group of Irish citizens.

It's precisely because the Irish Times has the credentials it has that I expect more of it.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Quit ducking the issue. You brought this up for debate after all.
What 'kind of attitude' (your words) do you attribute to the Irish Times on the basis of this article? Are you calling them racists?
Do you seriously contend that this article could 'turn Blanchardstown into a new Broadwater Farm'?
And if so, surely you are an adherent to the opinions espoused by Enoch Powell in his 'Rivers of Blood' speech, since he like you also predicted race riots if an intelligent national discussion was not held on the subject of immigration?

Raketemensch

I have very small traces of Norman ancestry, but that doesn't make me french does it? Especially when that occured over 800 years ago and they intermarried continously with with the people of galway;
OK, 800 years ago is the cutoff point to be Irish according to this genius. The entire population will be subject to DNA tests and those whose origin postdates this will be sent back to their own country.

DaBrow

What do you know of issues like these? Like most Anti-Irish mulculturalists.. nothing

OK, 800 years ago is the cutoff point to be Irish according to this genius. The entire population will be subject to DNA tests and those whose origin postdates this will be sent back to their own country.
You really are a dumbass,

I was responding to a question from another fool like yourself whom can't get the logic of Irish people being a distinct unique ethnic & cultural entity from other peoples.

The cutoff point I would employ would be population based:

Ensure that Non-Nationals and all Irish-born children of immigrants whom arrived during the Citizenship tourism years make up no more than 1% of the population.

Because Irish people want to have their own country in years to come....... not turn this place into a Disaster like the Balkans

Franz Von ProndZynski in 2005 said that Mass Immigration if trends continued would see us in a Minority by 2050...... Sweden according to some will no longer have native swedes as their population either by 2030 or so.

Last edited: