• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Are Brexit fears driving a surge in UK demand for RoI passports?

O

Oscurito

Here's the story. Compared to 2015, there has been a surge of some 20% in applications by UK citizens for Republic of Ireland passports. While in the first 5 months of last year, 1,518 applications were received from Blighty, this year it's up 1,901 and 200 extra staff have been taken on to cope with the demand. Meanwhile, the implicit suggestion in many media outlets is that this is all driven by fears of Brexit.

Now, there's a wee bit of spin going on here. For one thing, it's normal that there is a surge in passport applications in the first few months of the year. It's also normal that the passport office will take on temporary staff to cope with the seasonal peak in demand.

Finally, there clearly has been a rise in demand from the UK but 200 staff are not needed to handle 383 extra passport applications. The extra 200 are needed for the more general increase from domestic sources and abroad. Also, as TheJournal article below explains, compared to 2013, the increase from the UK is not so dramatic.

So, there's a wee bit of spin going on - probably from the Remain side but....that's politics, folks.

British rush for Irish passports as 200 new workers hired in passport office - IrishCentral.com

'Unprecedented' demand for Irish passports from British as polls indicate Brexit EU referendum result - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

FactCheck: Is there a rush for Irish passports because of Trump and Brexit?

The Field Marshal

AFAIK a Brexit can make no difference to the eligibility or not of a UK citizen for an Irish passport.

silverharp

how do you need 200 staff for a couple of hundred additional applications . When I heard it on sky I thought it was in the thousands. a bit of a non story

O

Oscurito

AFAIK a Brexit can make no difference to the eligibility or not of a UK citizen for an Irish passport.
You're absolutely correct.

But post-Brexit, a possessor of an Irish passport can still travel freely throughout the EU. A possessor of a UK passport might not be able to do that.

Watcher2

But post-Brexit, a possessor of an Irish passport can still travel freely throughout the EU. A possessor of a UK passport might not be able to do that.
But it will still be a couple of years after the referendum result before Britain will actually leave.

The Field Marshal

Of course they can travel freely throughout the EU.
Since , supposedly anyway, there will be no internal border controls in the the EU.

The way matters are moving it looks like the whole EU project is grinding to a halt so discussions of this kind will soon be old hat.

D

Deleted member 17573

I wonder if some of them might be British ex-pats, many of whom are worried about losing their access to healthcare in the EU countries where they reside.

O

Oscurito

how do you need 200 staff for a couple of hundred additional applications . When I heard it on sky I thought it was in the thousands. a bit of a non story
Well, you don't. But for some unthinking UK voters wavering between "remain" and "leave", the intended effect might be to worry them that Brits were fleeing The Sceptred Isle because Brexit will be such a bad thing.

O

Oscurito

But it will still be a couple of years after the referendum result before Britain will actually leave.
Yes. Look...I suppose the increase might in some part be due to Brexit worries. However, the headlines tended to focus on the two hundred extra staff rather than the 400 extra passports. That's more dramatic so it was all about magnifying the supposed "fear of Brexit" effect.

Watcher2

Well, you don't. But for some unthinking UK voters wavering between "remain" and "leave", the intended effect might be to worry them that Brits were fleeing The Sceptred Isle because Brexit will be such a bad thing.
That's not necessarily true. Oh, there are lots of ifs, ands and buts, but its all jokying for position. There is scaremongering on both sides of the debate. Just look at this passport issue, if true, its those that have been scared into believing it would be bad and they need an EU passport NOW. The fact is, they don't. They will be able to get one at their leisure if the vote is to leave. They will have a couple of years.

Watcher2

Yes. Look...I suppose the increase might in some part be due to Brexit worries. However, the headlines tended to focus on the two hundred extra staff rather than the 400 extra passports. That's more dramatic so it was all about magnifying the supposed "fear of Brexit" effect.
Indeed. Propagandist bullsh1t. It will probably backfire on them when people realize they are being lied to in a very underhanded fashion.

O

Oscurito

[/B]

Of course they can travel freely throughout the EU.
Since , supposedly anyway, there will be no internal border controls in the the EU.

The way matters are moving it looks like the whole EU project is grinding to a halt so discussions of this kind will soon be old hat.
I wouldn't say "of course" since it's not an absolute certainty.

However, for EU countries to refuse visa-free access to British people really would be a case of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

O

Oscurito

I wonder if some of them might be British ex-pats, many of whom are worried about losing their access to healthcare in the EU countries where they reside.
I haven't seen the figures broken down by source or passport office. So you may be right but I don't know.

O

Oscurito

That's not necessarily true. Oh, there are lots of ifs, ands and buts, but its all jokying for position. There is scaremongering on both sides of the debate. Just look at this passport issue, if true, its those that have been scared into believing it would be bad and they need an EU passport NOW. The fact is, they don't. They will be able to get one at their leisure if the vote is to leave. They will have a couple of years.
My comment that "Brexit will be such a bad thing" was meant entirely in an ironic sense, intended to parody the more extreme of the remain side who are threatening, fire, brimstone and eternal economic damnation if the UK votes out.

As far as I know (and The Field Marshal agrees too), the rules for British people getting Irish passports won't be changing regardless of the June 23 vote so there really should be no rush.

O

Oscurito

Indeed. Propagandist bullsh1t. It will probably backfire on them when people realize they are being lied to in a very underhanded fashion.
This emergency post-Brexit budget - as revealed today - from George Osborne is very telling. He's flying in the face of the party's manifesto, it's utterly unprecedented and it's surely a sign that the remain side is panicking.

These guys aren't just going by opinion polls. They will be getting feedback from remain side canvassers on doorsteps - especially in Tory heartlands. I was out doing canvassing last year for the marriage equality referendum and we were regularly being asked for feedback from HQ. That's the way campaigns are run now. You get your info from EVERYWHERE.

If Osborne is throwing tax cuts and spending increases at people then it must be pretty effing grim out there for the remain side.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

True, but anyone in the UK who is entitled to a ROI passport could still get one.

Of course the stupid may not know that.

Watcher2

True, but anyone in the UK who is entitled to a ROI passport could still get one.

Of course the stupid may not know that.
"The stupid" are being lied to. In fairness, this kind of detail is something people don't pay much head to i.e. what qualifies them for a passport, and they are just panicking because they are being fed bullsh1t and probably have too busy a life to be bothered trawling for the information. Playing it safe and just applying.

But if its only 400 as has been reported here, there's not many of them anyway and this whole story was only dreamt up to scare people again. Its crazy. Politicians....fupping duplicitous scum.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies