Are Fianna Fail any more corrupt than the rest of us?

Foghorn

I have been doing a lot of thinking about corruption. At the end of the day Ireland is fairly corrupt in many ways when I think about it. We're not all that great for obeying the rules.

I see people taking shortcuts all the time and the many posts on this forum reflect those same frustrations. It is an odd state of affairs that we are okay with a level of corruption in Irish society but then, given that politicians emerge from that same society, we somehow expect virtuous politicians. It just doesn't make sense really does it?

I see it everywhere, where people get some kind of benefit either by not paying for something, or getting a decision for something they really aren't entitled to or somehow getting ahead of "the system" in some regard.

It begs the question whether the problem is with us or with FF. I think they are corrupt - but are they any more corrupt than the rest of us?

an innocent abroad

I blame the educational system! A lot of the present people who created this problem seemed to have shared the same system Jeff Chater M.P. has just been found guilty in the old bailey for falsely claimimg expenses. The crown proscution service said "Nobody has the right to fraudently claim public money" When do you think you will see something like that happen here. That's the problem, their is no repurcessions for corruption in Ireland, no penalty. My vote will go to the party that brings in the toughest Anti corruption legisilation for corporate corruption and political corruption.

slx

More corrupt than an iPhone that's been dropped down a toilet.

Tim Johnston

"Are Fianna Fail any more corrupt than the rest of us?"

I assumed that was their new election campaign slogan.

talkies

So.... me not paying for parking, asking a friend of a friend who works at the motor tax office to urgently process my driving licence is the same as a politician taking money to push legislation, rezoning and the like....NO, NO, NO!

We are not all the same!

and....POLITICIANS ARE NOT ALL THE SAME!

Jesus...it's the same old FF mantra!

justme1

It's the way we are,but i think the Irish have been found out big time (i'm not saying a lot of people didn't know already,just not as many as now)
For me we joined Europe for the wrong reasons (to get money etc..)
To be honest i don't anybody posting on this site will live long enough to see a different/better version of us a people.

Northtipp

I would have to live to 104 and rape and pilage a small country to get that accolade

hurricane

we are probably all a wee bit "corrupt" in the knacks we might pull, but these knacks are on the small scale, if we get caught we hold our hands up and accept it...we do not have the means to scale the heights of corruption that our elected leaders have. I would see no real difference between FF and FG on the corruption issue, lets face it, when the big boys left the galway tent, they got into their heli's and went off to the FG golf classic, FG would have had a tent if they were in power.. and plenty of them have been found out thru the years......... I don't hold much faith in Labour, but I believe they are fairly straight, I don't think anyone has proven otherwise.

lynchseachan

Because, after all, there's not any other reason that I'm aware of to be a member of Fianna Fail - it's not like they stand for anything in particular.

MPB

Planning permissions for brown envelopes full of cash. 1 million loans paid off by generous benefactors. Money hidden in offshore accounts. Money gifted by friends. Money donated by developers who happen to get planning permissions. Friends promoted to State boards and paid from the public purse. Tenders given to preferred companies, who happen to be the parties biggest donors or have a family connection to the party. A blind eye turned to business malpractice. Offshore drilling licences given away for a pittance. Govt dept executives leaving public service and setting up in the private sector only to return as consultants to the Depts they left. Tribunals being misled and delayed at a cost of billions to the exchequer. Dead patsys being blamed for every misdeed.

Yeh, we are all at it.

New Threads

Most Replies