Are Fianna Fail Chasing The Anti-Abortion Vote? If So Then What Are The Consequences?

The_SR

She wanted to be a candidate 'for all' and act as a bridge between the two sides but that's not how it went down.

Her opponents were never going to allow a backward stupid pro-life person have the most important job in the entire country, the Presidency of an SU that most students in it's own college don't care about.

Instead, pro-choicers made her a martyr and a figure with name recognition among the general public. Great strategy from them.
Not how it went down indeed.

Nothing to do with her lying and misconduct. It was a plot from the same people who voted her in. Or something.

slysnara

That's politics. We might not like it but there is nothing unique or interesting about it.
You claimed people didn't know. They did know. That's the point I'm making.

slysnara

Not how it went down indeed.

Nothing to do with her lying and misconduct. It was a plot from the same people who voted her in. Or something.
Either you're lying or haven't a clue what you are talking about. Maybe it's both.

You claim she hid her pro-life views, despite the fact that she was one of the speakers at a UCD debate on abortion in 2015 and campaigned for a no vote in the abortion referendum just a few months before she ran for Presidency.

The_SR

Look in the mirror. You claim she hid her pro-life views, despite the fact that she was one of the speakers at a UCD debate on abortion in 2015 and campaigned for a no vote in the abortion referendum just a few months before she ran for Presidency.

Either you're lying or haven't a clue what you are talking about. Maybe it's both.
...using a different name....

Conor_Myers

In the normal course of events it seems clear that abortion is not a big issue for most voters in general elections - as indicated by poor showing from Labour and Renua last time out.
It could be different as the hysteria of a referendum campaign hots up, however, and I can't see it doing FF any harm as there could be a lot of pro-life voters looking for a party to represent their interests.

MsDaisyC

She wanted to be a candidate 'for all' and act as a bridge between the two sides but that's not how it went down.

Her opponents were never going to allow a backward stupid pro-life person have the most important job in the entire country, the Presidency of an SU that most students in it's own college don't care about.

Instead, pro-choicers made her a martyr and a figure with name recognition among the general public. Great strategy from them.
When she runs for election, she'll probably do as well as the other single issue "prolife" candidates like Creighton, Bopp, Walsh, Mullen etc. Mullen had to fall back on a handful of seanad votes to keep his snout in the Oireachtas trough.

slysnara

When she runs for election, she'll probably do as well as the other single issue "prolife" candidates like Creighton, Bopp, Walsh, Mullen etc. Mullen had to fall back on a handful of seanad votes to keep his snout in the Oireachtas trough.
She's a perfect representative for pro-life in the abortion referendum, and that's what matters at the moment.

statsman

It remains entirely unclear to me why anyone thinks that support or opposition to a referendum has any real correlation with GE voting intentions. If it did, Labour would be leading the government after the SSM vote.

wombat

It remains entirely unclear to me why anyone thinks that support or opposition to a referendum has any real correlation with GE voting intentions. If it did, Labour would be leading the government after the SSM vote.
Its a key issue for some. I canvassed for FG in Dun Laoghaire in 2011 when the main issues were the economy and which party would lead the govt. I was amazed at the number of people who raised FG's proposal to do away with compulsory Irish for the Leaving Cert as their key objection. I'm sure most of them wouldn't vote FG in a fit but it was interesting to hear that was their key issue, I'm sure abortion will be similar.

Mercurial

The latest B&A poll has FF at 31%, an increase of 4%. This is a significant gain during a period in which there were no major policy announcements from the FF camp apart from decision to campaign for the retention of the Eight Amendment. FF are now the only party in Ireland in favour of retaining the Eight Amendment.

Will opposition to appeal be a vote getter for FF?
Just how strong is the anti-abortion vote?
Is every FF TD in favour of retaining the Eight?
Will those FF TDs in pro-abortion constituencies openly campaign against repeal of the Eighth?
Will FF assume the mantle of the party that represents socially conservative Ireland?
They wrecked the economy and still manage those poll numbers.

Their stance on abortion isn't going to make much difference one way or the other.

irish_bob

The latest B&A poll has FF at 31%, an increase of 4%. This is a significant gain during a period in which there were no major policy announcements from the FF camp apart from decision to campaign for the retention of the Eight Amendment. FF are now the only party in Ireland in favour of retaining the Eight Amendment.

Will opposition to appeal be a vote getter for FF?
Just how strong is the anti-abortion vote?
Is every FF TD in favour of retaining the Eight?
Will those FF TDs in pro-abortion constituencies openly campaign against repeal of the Eighth?
Will FF assume the mantle of the party that represents socially conservative Ireland?
unless michael martin has been secretly ousted , absolutely not ! , under martin they are decidedly socially liberal

MsDaisyC

She's a perfect representative for pro-life in the abortion referendum, and that's what matters at the moment.
Dishonest and discredited... absolutely perfect.

irish_bob

I think its fair to say FF rank and file are mostly anti abortion.

But Micheal Martin is a mealy mouthed weasel IMO. I actually think he will try to neuter any opposition to abortion within the party
martin is always aware of what the liberal media thinks so i strongly agree

sadmal

martin is always aware of what the liberal media thinks so i strongly agree
Ah but Willie O'Dea will put paid to that, he has a column in the S Indo to show the real FF face to the public.

scolairebocht

No disrespect to the very many good FF deputies and members over the years but if you were pro-life would you trust FF here? Only about a week after the Ard Fheis had voted massively pro-life the Dail Abortion Committee took a vote to scrap the 8th amendment and no FF deputy opposed it.

venusian

The Faith and Fatherland conservative electorate belong with FF.
There is a very conservative Catholic far right vote in FG too, perhaps it will help tear FFG asunder and cause an early election...Hmm! Happy days indeed if it does!

sadmal

There is a very conservative Catholic far right vote in FG too, perhaps it will help tear FFG asunder and cause an early election...Hmm! Happy days indeed if it does!
If there was such a large group of conservatives in FG Simon ould be leader of the pack now not Leo. Only a handful FG TD's voted against the Protection of Life in Pregnancy bill, almost all of FF voted against it. That's shows FF is the pro-life party in Ireland.

borntorum

That's probably true. They have also suffered from an abortion backlash since the POLDP bill. FF opposed this bill and many predicted they would suffer politically for it. The opposite has happened. They have recovered strongly.

Barry Walsh of YFG was heckled at the FG think-in in Cavan at the weekend when he asked 'Where is the demand for this referendum coming from'. People tried to shout him down by screaming 'people are dying'.. 'women are dying'.

Walsh's question was a good one. The demand is not coming from the public or the FG grassroots, so one has to conclude that FG are being led by the media.
:shock:

Barry Walsh is still in Young FG? He must be about 40 now

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies