Are Fine Gael in favour of compulsory military service?

The Dude

Interesting conversation going on over on Twitter at the moment.

Following an item on the John Murray Show on RTE1 on the pros and cons of compulsory military service, Lucinda Creighton tweeted the following

@johnmurrayshow We should think of national service -a choice of military or civil service. Its been successful in Germany. Liked the item!
When challenged by a tweeter on if that opinion was shared by many in the party she replied

Some. Billy Timmins mooted something similar a while back
That's former FG foreign affairs spokesperson, and former army officer Billy Timmins TD

Surely it's a stance worth clarifying? Has Timmins made a public statement on the idea or was it in-house?

Libero

oddsox

I'd respect Fine Gael more if they were in favour of national service.
I'd respect ff if they in favour of national service or even the national interest,, but thats well down the list, ff first, ff second, ff third,,,,

clytaemnestra

Why? Aside from the moral issue involved in forced conscription, we're a small neutral country, what purpose would it serve?
Switzerland has compulsory national service: another small, neutral country - indeed the small, neutral country par excellence. National service does not mean that you are preparing for war or imperialist jaunts abroad. Its benefits arise from instilling discipline, comradeship and an esprit de corps in young men, especially those from broken homes, and improving physical and mental fitness generally. It is good for civil society.

The Dude

Says who? The bit posted above certainly doesnt paint a picture of a successful scheme

Libero

Switzerland has compulsory national service: another small, neutral country - indeed the small, neutral country par excellence. National service does not mean that you are preparing for war or imperialist jaunts abroad. Its benefits arise from instilling discipline, comradeship and an esprit de corps in young men, especially those from broken homes, and improving physical and mental fitness generally. It is good for civil society.
See the link in my last post for how it tends to work in reality.

Although it might help Irish civil society - on an 'arm the homeless' basis - if young people had training in hand-to-hand combat, firearms and basic infantry maneuvres. It would make student demonstrations a hell of a lot more interesting. (And that's also why Fine Gael will never in a million years introduce it!)

What the Fug

Where are you going to get the money to pay for it, feed clothe and house the poor buggers you are sentencing to 18 months mind numbing boredom.

ocoonassa

Switzerland has compulsory national service: another small, neutral country - indeed the small, neutral country par excellence.
Indeed. I'd do national service for Switzerland at the drop of a hat.

But then the Swiss haven't got troops stationed all over the Empire where they aren't wanted and they also have a proper democracy.

If they try introducing it here it'll end with a successful version of 1916.

Bring it on.

TaxHavenSite

Would it just be for all citizens under a certain age,or just for citizens under a certain age that also reside in Ireland? What about the people with dual citizenship,that have never even been in Ireland?

Chrisco

I despair at these threads.

If you can't distinguish between the personal opinion of a politician and their party policy, or between an opinion piece in a newspaper and the paper's editorial line, you shouldn't be posting on a politics site.

The Dude

I despair at these threads.

If you can't distinguish between the personal opinion of a politician and their party policy, or between an opinion piece in a newspaper and the paper's editorial line, you shouldn't be posting on a politics site.
I suggest you re-read the OP.

A politician expressed her opinion, then confirmed that a colleague has also touted the idea. I then suggested that in light of this FG could clarify the matter as to whether or not it is a policy under consideration by the party.

I also asked if Billy Timmins' mooting of the idea was made in public, or if it was discussed within Fine Gael, as potential policy.

If Timmins' opinion was expressed privately within the party, and has now been made public, voters should be told where the party stands on the issue.

If you don't want to talk about potential policy discussions of one of the country's largest political parties, then I suggest that you shouldn't be posting on a politics site.

Chrisco

The answer to the question you have posed is 'NO'.

If you want to have a discussion on whether some members of FG are in favour of it then choose the appropriate title and OP.

'Potential policy discussions'? :roll:

The Dude

The answer to the question you have posed is 'NO'.

If you want to have a discussion on whether some members of FG are in favour of it then choose the appropriate title and OP.
Is it definitely a no? Has the party ruled it out? If not the question remains valid. The title is, after all, a question.

Chrisco

Is it definitely a no? Has the party ruled it out? If not the question remains valid. The title is, after all, a question.
Unless it is party policy the answer is no.

So are you saying that everything that a party hasn't officially ruled out is potential policy?

He3

Tom Clonan was on national radio this morning advocating this I gather.

1. Who else apart from Clonan (and Creighton) is promoting this notion?

2. Why should debate on it be confined to a discussion about what Fine Gael thinks?

Casillas

I very much doubt this is a real policy. It would cost a lot, it may lead to even higher emigration amongst the young looking to escape conscription, not to mention the problems getting Irish people to actually join. Not many young Irish are militaristic in any real sense plus training people in the use of weapons is a bad idea when crime levels are on the rise and the Gardai in general remain unarmed. Silly idea all round.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies