Are Gardai bugging TD's now? Alan Kelly TD queries whether AGS bugged his phone

venusian

TD Alan Kelly in the recent scandals helped to reveal the odious disgusting behaviour of Fine Gael, Francis Fitzgerald and Noirin O'Sullivan and assisted in bringing to an end their careers, has asked very serious questions of whether he is being bugged by the Gardai or not.

Alan Kelly queries if gardaí bugged phone
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/alan-kelly-queries-if-gardai-bugged-phone-464431.html
Labour TD Alan Kelly has formally asked the Justice Minister if his phone has ever been bugged by gardaí or his communications intercepted by the force. Speaking to the Irish Examiner, Mr Kelly said: “The purpose of my questions is to get a guarantee from the minister that my phones and telecommunication have never been intercepted or the records or data ever accessed or used by an Garda Síochána.

Excellent mischief making by Kelly ( disclaimer: A TD I personally despise for his Irish Water record) I do wonder has he been leaked information in relation to Garda bugging? If true, criminal prosecutions must follow. Despite the best efforts in recent years of FFG and their Garda political appointees to enforce various shades of political policing verging on fascism, if Kelly can prove he was bugged heads must roll and an election will follow.

Sync

So he’s using his position as TD to ask about his status with the police? Can I do that? If I write to the justice minister asking the same question should he have to respond? Can I ask about speed camera? Have the gardai been monitoring my movements by recording me on the road?

He has zero evidence or cause for suspicion based on that article. Silly self aggrandising stuff that should be dismissed out of hand. If he feels he’s being unfairly targeted he can go to the ombudsman like everyone else.

Dame_Enda

If true we are in Watergate territory.

venusian

So he’s using his position as TD to ask about his status with the police? Can I do that? If I write to the justice minister asking the same question should he have to respond? Can I ask about speed camera? Have the gardai been monitoring my movements by recording me on the road?

He has zero evidence or cause for suspicion based on that article. Silly self aggrandising stuff that should be dismissed out of hand. If he feels he’s being unfairly targeted he can go to the ombudsman like everyone else.
Hmm! fair points but I do wonder if he has been leaked some information as he obviously was previously anyway time will tell.

Dame_Enda

Maybe if the govt hadnt left the post of Secretary General of the DOJ vacant for years there would be regular order there instead of chaos. To lose one Commissioner might be considered an accident. To lose two is just carelessness.

JCR

I wouldn't blame the guards trying to find out if Kelly was being sneaked information due to political motivation. Dirty business. he may have been in touch with some one whose phone was tapped of course.

Kelly for me, is trying to extract as much attention for himself as possible, chiefly to keep his seat safe. He is achieving nothing else of any substance at all.

Catalpast

Hmm! fair points but I do wonder if he has been leaked some information as he obviously was previously anyway time will tell.
A right cannot be extended to him

- that then could not be extended to every other Citizen

The Gardaí can WT if they want if they get a Judicial warrant IIRC

Disillusioned democrat

It will be interesting to see how things develop.
Well, firstly AGS will deny it, then they'll obscure it and then they'll tell us to fµck off and mind our own business and Charlie Flanagan will simper and hide in a corner like the bitch they have made him.

Finbar10

Sure, this is all useful for Kelly to build up his profile to help get re-elected. However, sad to say, at this stage it's not something one could totally dismiss out of hand. The AGS has been a law onto itself for a long time. I don't think anything was ever proved either previously regarding GSOC's worry that it was being bugged or under surveillance (perhaps paranoia on its part, or maybe not?).

publicrealm

TD Alan Kelly in the recent scandals helped to reveal the odious disgusting behaviour of Fine Gael, Francis Fitzgerald and Noirin O'Sullivan and assisted in bringing to an end their careers, has asked very serious questions of whether he is being bugged by the Gardai or not.

Alan Kelly queries if gardaí bugged phone
Alan Kelly queries if gardaí bugged phone | Irish Examiner
Labour TD Alan Kelly has formally asked the Justice Minister if his phone has ever been bugged by gardaí or his communications intercepted by the force. Speaking to the Irish Examiner, Mr Kelly said: “The purpose of my questions is to get a guarantee from the minister that my phones and telecommunication have never been intercepted or the records or data ever accessed or used by an Garda Síochána.

Excellent mischief making by Kelly ( disclaimer: A TD I personally despise for his Irish Water record) I do wonder has he been leaked information in relation to Garda bugging? If true, criminal prosecutions must follow. Despite the best efforts in recent years of FFG and their Garda political appointees to enforce various shades of political policing verging on fascism, if Kelly can prove he was bugged heads must roll and an election will follow.

Can I be the first to express my complete confidence in the Acting Commissioner etc.

gijoe

Mr Kelly seems to be a scholar of LBJ - of course its not true but lets hear them deny it!

Disillusioned democrat

Sure, this is all useful for Kelly to build up his profile to help get re-elected. However, sad to say, at this stage it's not something one could totally dismiss out of hand. The AGS has been a law onto itself for a long time. I don't think anything was ever proved either previously regarding GSOC's worry that it was being bugged or under surveillance (perhaps paranoia on its part, or maybe not?).
I guess you have to look at the cause and effect - the chicken or the egg, so to speak.

Politicians won't say "boo" to AGS - for example the best they could do to "discipline" a clearly unfit for purpose O'Sullivan was to get her to retire on full pension and secure her a nice high-profile and probably profitable sinecure. Now Charlie Flanagan is AGS' bitch and hasn't raised an eyebrow when they said they weren't going to pursue the penalty point deleters.

Now - my personal opinion is that this is because AGS have nice fat files on each and every politician - favours done, things uncovered, maybe recordings of inappropriate 'phone calls - so it's quite possible that this is not an isolated incident if it's true.

All I really know is that we'll probably never really know.

'orebel

Finbar10

I guess you have to look at the cause and effect - the chicken or the egg, so to speak.

Politicians won't say "boo" to AGS - for example the best they could do to "discipline" a clearly unfit for purpose O'Sullivan was to get her to retire on full pension and secure her a nice high-profile and probably profitable sinecure. Now Charlie Flanagan is AGS' bitch and hasn't raised an eyebrow when they said they weren't going to pursue the penalty point deleters.

Now - my personal opinion is that this is because AGS have nice fat files on each and every politician - favours done, things uncovered, maybe recordings of inappropriate 'phone calls - so it's quite possible that this is not an isolated incident if it's true.

All I really know is that we'll probably never really know.
Yes, it's probably a fairly incestuous "I scratch your back and you scratch mine" type of relationship alright (both studiously looking the other way regarding their indiscretions over the years). Was fairly amazed at the Clare Daly handcuff incident at the time. Gardaí arresting an actual TD in dubious and politically-charged circumstances (granted she was not in the mainstream parties), and false suggestions somehow leaked to the media that the first person she had wanted to contact on arrest was Mick Wallace (smear another TD in the process?). You can be sure police heads would have rolled in the UK in the aftermath of a similar incident. The Gardaí is not exactly a police force cowed by politicians is it? Getting rather big for its boots I think. You'd indeed wonder has it some interesting dirt on some of our more prominent TDs.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Dismissing accusations against the Guards out of hand has not had a good history, in all fairness.

Expose the lot of them

Maybe if the govt hadnt left the post of Secretary General of the DOJ vacant for years there would be regular order there instead of chaos. To lose one Commissioner might be considered an accident. To lose two is just carelessness.
Neither of whom could be considered a loss, the first should have been sacked, not "retired". The second should never have been appointed, but as she was, she too should have been promptly removed, again without the taxpayer funded golden handshake and pension.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies