• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Are Government-Aligned Independents Now the 'Scabs' of the Dail?

consultant

The consensus, born out by all polls, radio phone-ins, the media in general and public sentiment, is that this is probably the most hated and distrusted government in the history of the State.

Yet, the main party in that government is sustained by the ongoing support of the greens and a collection of disparate independents. TDs who were elected by their constituents to represent them. Unless each of these independents represents a constituency that is significently different from the rest of the country, they are maintaining in power those responsible for the half million people without jobs; the black hole that is the banks' bailout; the incompetency that has destroyed the future for Irish youth.

They can only, just like the greens, be hanging in to get as much out of it for themselves as possible.

To use the language of the unions, does this make them 'scabs'?

Highking

Scabs is such a dirty word... I'd be more likely to call them self-serving me-féiners, who are an insult to the meaning of the word democracy. They continue to facilitate a government which has all but bankrupted this country. Essentially Independents in this country will always be glorified county councillors as they support minority governments for the benefit of a particular constituency, and their own popularity in said constituency and to the detriment of the democratic institutions of this country as a whole

anfieldabff

Michael Lowry et al all Scabs

When the election is launched, and it will be soon. I will be holding Michael Lowry responsible for supporting this despot government over the last two years.
My suggestion is that people put up signs banning canvassing by FF, Green and Independent supporters of the government.
The people want an election and the likes Mr Lowry is preventing this for naked political capital for himself and his constituents. Believe me Mr Lowry you will not be topping the poll the next time out.!!!
Just go, for gods sake go!!!

consultant

Scabs is such a dirty word... I'd be more likely to call them self-serving me-féiners, who are an insult to the meaning of the word democracy. They continue to facilitate a government which has all but bankrupted this country. Essentially Independents in this country will always be glorified county councillors as they support minority governments for the benefit of a particular constituency, and their own popularity in said constituency and to the detriment of the democratic institutions of this country as a whole

'Politics' is becoming a dirty word too. And 'scab' is a term that is applied in many circumstances and situations. I don't know of a nicer alternative that captures fully their impact.

The local focus is admirable - but are they still focussed on their constituents?

Or just themselves?

Newsy

I have no problem calling them SCABS!!!!!

SCABS....SCABS......SCABS!!!!

Ulster-Lad

After defeating the writ to move the bye-elections just now, I would say scabs would be to kind a word. Quislings would be more in line.

GDPR

The consensus, born out by all polls, radio phone-ins, the media in general and public sentiment, is that this is probably the most hated and distrusted government in the history of the State.

Yet, the main party in that government is sustained by the ongoing support of the greens and a collection of disparate independents. TDs who were elected by their constituents to represent them. Unless each of these independents represents a constituency that is significently different from the rest of the country, they are maintaining in power those responsible for the half million people without jobs; the black hole that is the banks' bailout; the incompetency that has destroyed the future for Irish youth.

They can only, just like the greens, be hanging in to get as much out of it for themselves as possible.

To use the language of the unions, does this make them 'scabs'?
Looked at another way, they are the bravest of the brave.
The Government parties more or less have to take on and stick with the responsibility of Government, whether they like it or not.
Not so with our good friends the independents, they can either see the tough job through or walk away to the applause of the mindless, for doing so.

Up to now they've stood firm with only one, who is thinking more of himself than the country, leaving the ship.

It would have been easy for the rest of them to walk away, but so far they've stood their ground and they deserve praise for that.

Will they get any praise...will they f..k and they know it, but still they stay.

Sound men, the independents.

blackpitts

Does anyone have any reliable projections about which independents are:

almost certain to be re-elected
almost certain to lose
could go either way

blackpitts

Looked at another way, they are the bravest of the brave.
The Government parties more or less have to take on and stick with the responsibility of Government, whether they like it or not.
Not so with our good friends the independents, they can either see the tough job through or walk away to the applause of the mindless, for doing so.

Up to now they've stood firm with only one, who is thinking more of himself than the country, leaving the ship.

It would have been easy for the rest of them to walk away, but so far they've stood their ground and they deserve praise for that.

Will they get any praise...will they f..k and they know it, but still they stay.

Sound men, the independents.
Tonic, you're beginning to sound more and more like Spotty every day.

GDPR

Please don't take my usual lack of response to your posts personally.
I guarantee if you ever have anything worthwhile to say, I'll be there.

jackryan

When the election is launched, and it will be soon. I will be holding Michael Lowry responsible for supporting this despot government over the last two years.
My suggestion is that people put up signs banning canvassing by FF, Green and Independent supporters of the government.
The people want an election and the likes Mr Lowry is preventing this for naked political capital for himself and his constituents. Believe me Mr Lowry you will not be topping the poll the next time out.!!!
Just go, for gods sake go!!!
You don't know much about canvassing do you? by putting up signs like that they are saving time by not wasting their time going to doors which of no use to them!! especially useful if they have fewer willing footsoldiers!

Newsy

It's a pity this gov. didn't DO THEIR JOB and be RESPONSIBLE......you can look at anyway you like tonic......the truth is democracy no longer exists in this country.

GDPR

It's a pity this gov. didn't DO THEIR JOB and be RESPONSIBLE......you can look at anyway you like tonic......the truth is democracy no longer exists in this country.
I know this is a difficult concept for you to grasp (and you're not alone here, worry not), but because they didn't do what you think they should have done, doesn't mean they didn't do "their" job.
Their "job" you see is to do what they think best for the country and this they have done regardless of your own thoughts on the matter.

You can argue that they didn't do the right thing (by your lights) or they didn't do it soon enough or whatever, but you cannot argue that they haven't called it and acted on it as they see it.

hellsbells

Scum is better description .

hellsbells

I know this is a difficult concept for you to grasp (and you're not alone here, worry not), but because they didn't do what you think they should have done, doesn't mean they didn't do "their" job.
Their "job" you see is to do what they think best for the country and this they have done regardless of your own thoughts on the matter.

You can argue that they didn't do the right thing (by your lights) or they didn't do it soon enough or whatever, but you cannot argue that they haven't called it and acted on it as they see it.
Shur thats grand so ,fianna scum my hero`s

anfieldabff

Talking of spotty, where is he?

Tough decissions should have been taken when the property boom was in full swing. When Jackie Healy Rea and his like were proposing daft schemes for local constituency interests. At that time we would have got a result, the tough decissions being taken now are just fire fighting.
Democracy is the most important thing for any government, the current excuse for same is talking out of both sides of its mouth. Ned O Keefe, this evening said that NAMA was the kind of scheme that you would find in a third world country. But he would never vote against a FF government, hows that for having your cake and eating it.
Just go, for God's sake go!!

blackpitts

Originally Posted by blackpitts
Please don't take my usual lack of response to your posts personally.
I guarantee if you ever have anything worthwhile to say, I'll be there.
So I should deduce from your decision to respond that you found my comment worthwhile. You're welcome. :D

You don't know much about canvassing do you? by putting up signs like that they are saving time by not wasting their time going to doors which of no use to them!! especially useful if they have fewer willing footsoldiers!
He don't know much about anything.
Keyboard warrior when Mommy and Doddy says he can be.

anfieldabff

The next election will be so so different!!!!

Contrary to your opinion I actually know quite a bit about canvassing, have been doing it for long enough.!!(Guess which party)
The point I am trying to make is that this Government has litterally sold the entire country to bond holders, with the connivance of such corrupt individuals such as Lowry. The debts of FF developers and Bankers have now been transferred to the taxpayer.
The next election will involve such rows at the doors of the electorate that FF, and Green canvassers will be afraid to knock on any door.
Are you not proud to belong to a party like that!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies