• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are half the cabinet going to retire on big fat pensions in 3 years?

Teabag

Looking at the age profile of our esteemed leaders I can see why some of them are avoiding reform and coasting to retirement...

Enda Kenny = 61
Pat Rabbitte = 63
Michael Noonan 69
Alan Shatter = 62
Ruairi Quinn = 66
Brendan Howlin = 56 [SHOULD RETIRE EARLY]
Joan Burton = 63

They can join the others enjoying six figure sums for good work..
Bertie Ahern,Brian Cowen, Mary Coughlan, Mary Harney, Batt O’Keeffe, Dick Roche, Noel Dempsey, Dermot Ahern, Ivor Callely etc

RobertW

No.....in four years. Spring 2016.

They'll see it out until the end . . . Even to the point where, I believe, their last act will be the 100th anniversary commemorations of 1916.

Ryan Tubbs

Looking at the age profile of our esteemed leaders I can see why some of them are avoiding reform and coasting to retirement...

Enda Kenny = 61
Pat Rabbitte = 63
Michael Noonan 69
Alan Shatter = 62
Ruairi Quinn = 66
Brendan Howlin = 56 [SHOULD RETIRE EARLY]
Joan Burton = 63
Rabbitte Shatter and Burton would only have done one term in Cabinet, so I think their pensions would be neither big nor fat.

Quinn and Noonan were first appointed to Cabinet in 1981. Kenny was first elected to the Dáil in 1975. After such long working lives of 7-day-a-week work, why do people begrudge them a decent pension?

Teabag

Rabbitte Shatter and Burton would only have done one term in Cabinet, so I think their pensions would be neither big nor fat.

Quinn and Noonan were first appointed to Cabinet in 1981. Kenny was first elected to the Dáil in 1975. After such long working lives of 7-day-a-week work, why do people begrudge them a decent pension?
My guess is that all of them will get 6 figure pensions.

I suppose my point is whether retirement is their main focus now i.e. don't rock the boat, don't become too unpopular - not long to go now...

Ryan Tubbs

I suppose my point is whether retirement is their main focus now i.e. don't rock the boat, don't become too unpopular - not long to go now...
Well Rabbitte, Quinn, and Noonan must surely know that this will be their last stint in Cabinet. So why would they not want to rock the boat? Surely they would want to leave a mark or legacy?

Quinn is certainly doing this, for good or ill. As is Noonan. Rabbitte is one of the most anonymous ministers in the Government.

odlum

Don't see what the issue is. I expect ministers to be well paid. It's not an easy job running a country. TD's on the other hand - that's where the problem is. Glorified county councilors.

Tea Party Patriot

They'll see it out until the end . . . Even to the point where, I believe, their last act will be the 100th anniversary commemorations of 1916.
If the government lasts up to close to that date (no one can tell for certain in politics) then I would be surprised if Fine Gael would want to leave a chance of SF being in power for the 1916 commemorations.

DuineEile

Don't see what the issue is. I expect ministers to be well paid. It's not an easy job running a country. TD's on the other hand - that's where the problem is. Glorified county councilors.
Well done. You've identitfied the problem. Ministers are TD's.

We have glorified County Councillors running the country.

D

odlum

D

Ministers as distinct from back bench TD's. Ministers should be well paid. They have a tough job. Jealousy has to be put to one side.

Jackass

How does it affect a TDs payout if they retire compared to if they are sent packing by the electorate. I'm thinking of Burton and whether she will be in two minds what to do.

EUrJokingMeRight

Will they? I dont know....

Will they TRY??

G

Gimpanzee

D

You're SFer, right? The party that offers us 'community activists' to run to the country?

lying eyes

There is decent and then there is Lotto decent??????

lying eyes

Last call is 8 april 2016.............

mk50

The salary for a Minister of State is €37,370. They also receive a TD’s salary of €92,672, making for a total of €130,042.

Ministers of State who serve for five years (a full Dáil term) are entitled to 35 per cent of their Minister of State salary as a pension, or €13,079 per year.

Mushroom

Last call is 8 april 2016.............
Easter Monday is on 28th March 2016. So they can have a big commemoration then.

Then, they call the general election on Thursday 7th April 2016, with polling day on Friday 29th April, allowing them to have a second 1916 Commemoration on Sunday 24th April 2016, that being the centenary of Easter Monday 1916.

Game, set and match FG/Lab.

The Widowkillers and Paedophile Lovers' Party (including its Anti-abortion wing) can have a bbq (byob) outside Kilmainham Gaol or Garden of Amnesia in Parnell Square or some other dump.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie

This shower can't move a few Health Centres on a lists without mayhem. What makes you think they'll be able to move Easter?

Hewson

Ministers as distinct from back bench TD's. Ministers should be well paid They have a tough job. Jealousy has to be put to one side.
Bertie was well paid, Harney was well paid, Burke was well paid, McCreevy was well paid, Haughey was . . . you get my drift.

They also wrecked the gaff. But they were well paid to do it.