• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Are Indo/Sindo Polls Valid?

onlyasking

Note: this thread is opening in Current Affairs instead of Media, as the issues being raised impact directly on the current political landscape in general.

The Irish Independent and Sunday Independent have massive clout in terms of moulding, shifting and commenting on public opinion. In this context, the Independent group publishes on a regular basis the results of what it calls ‘opinion polls’. These polls are described as “Irish/Sunday Independent Quantum Research opinion polls”, and are treated editorially in the same way as those conducted on behalf of other newspapers by independent polling companies.

The Irish Times uses MRBI, a reputable market research organisation. The Sunday Business Post uses Red C, also a reputable company.

What I’d like to know is who or what is Quantum Research? Is Quantum Research a bona fide polling organisation or an entity within Independent Newspapers which uses unscientific and therefore unsound methods? Is there any science behind its collation of data?

Can anyone throw some light on Quantum Research?

This is important, as we've seen a slew of Quantum Research 'polls' recently which are vigorously presented by Indo/Sindo editors as the judgments of the people of this state across a range of very important matters.

Tomas Mor

The Indo pollsters probably ring up Eoghan Harris, Celia Larkin, Jody Corcoran, Brendan (Ballsy) O Connor and a few others.

SinnShane

They have a rubbishy feel to them, that's for sure. What more can you expect from a comic?
I agree that the newspaper has massive influence on the general population though. I think middle Ireland (if such a thing exists) likes to think they read a broad-sheet 'grown up' Sunday paper, when in truth it's a puffed up tabloid spewing only rumour, half-truth and innuendo. *Not really relevant to the discussion, I know!

Gabha Óir

They have a rubbishy feel to them, that's for sure. What more can you expect from a comic?
I agree that the newspaper has massive influence on the general population though. I think middle Ireland (if such a thing exists) likes to think they read a broad-sheet 'grown up' Sunday paper, when in truth it's a puffed up tabloid spewing only rumour, half-truth and innuendo. *Not really relevant to the discussion, I know!
I hear they're going to have SF on -7% in their next 'poll'

onlyasking

I see where you're coming from, but I find it hard to get a 'feel' for a sequence of polls about which there's little known in terms of methodology, scientific basis and even about who has conducted the 'survey'.

IMO, "Middle Ireland" most certainly exists, and it is MASSIVE. We're an inherently conservative and conformist society, and that's being charitable. You don't have to scratch very hard to find someone who'll denigrate their neighbour if they don't buy into their lifestyle completely.

onlyasking

I'm still operating in a bit of an info-vacuum. Does anybody know anything about Quantum Research?

Any former Indo people knocking around who could shed some light on this?

Gabha Óir

I'm still operating in a bit of an info-vacuum. Does anybody know anything about Quantum Research?

Any former Indo people knocking around who could shed some light on this?
Surely, if they were a reputable polling company they would have a website but a quick google search only brings up an address on Herbert St. And that's not even clear if it's the same organisation.

It is certainly one to pursue.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
Note: this thread is opening in Current Affairs instead of Media, as the issues being raised impact directly on the current political landscape in general.

The Irish Independent and Sunday Independent have massive clout in terms of moulding, shifting and commenting on public opinion. In this context, the Independent group publishes on a regular basis the results of what it calls ‘opinion polls’. These polls are described as “Irish/Sunday Independent Quantum Research opinion polls”, and are treated editorially in the same way as those conducted on behalf of other newspapers by independent polling companies.

The Irish Times uses MRBI, a reputable market research organisation. The Sunday Business Post uses Red C, also a reputable company.

What I’d like to know is who or what is Quantum Research? Is Quantum Research a bona fide polling organisation or an entity within Independent Newspapers which uses unscientific and therefore unsound methods? Is there any science behind its collation of data?

Can anyone throw some light on Quantum Research?

This is important, as we've seen a slew of Quantum Research 'polls' recently which are vigorously presented by Indo/Sindo editors as the judgments of the people of this state across a range of very important matters.
Quantum ask more questions than they answer... DGDS, but ....

Quantum Engineering « Irish Polling Report

Quantum Corrections…. « Irish Polling Report

onlyasking

Nobody has attempted to speak up for Quantum Research or the Indo/Sindo here. Is it possible that Independent Newspapers are engaging in bogus-polling? And to what ends? Onlyasking.

dresden8

And to what ends? Onlyasking.
I once talked to a girl who was going to vote FF because they were going to win anyway.

She was so stupid she couldn't even be argued with.

Even if you only get a few of these fools on message it might be enough.

onlyasking

I once talked to a girl who was going to vote FF because they were going to win anyway.

She was so stupid she couldn't even be argued with.
She couldn't be argued with, but she could be taken advantage of. And was. By them. Not by you. Then again........

Even if you only get a few of these fools on message it might be enough.
There are quite a number of them out there. Anyone who voted for Bertie, despite his overt slipperiness and streams of waffle. Add Lawlor, Burke, Lowry, and all the other gombeen men. Clever enough to spot the vein of corruption running through the population, smart enough to mine it, but too stupid by far to manage an economy, even a small one. They'd appear to be the criteria applied by a huge proportion of the electorate down the years. Oh, and with the prompting of some of the Indo/Sindo's finest opinionists, lest we forget.

stripey cat

I love that they chose the name Quantum.

Here is a quote from the physicist Richard Feynman, on Quantum Theory:

There was a time when the newspapers said that only twelve men understood the theory of relativity.

I do not believe there ever was such a time. There might have been a time when only one man did, because he was the only guy who caught on, before he wrote his paper. But after people read the paper a lot of people understood the theory of relativity in some way or other, certainly more than twelve.

On the other hand, I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.

Murph

It would take a Quantum Leap of the imagination to believe what they come up with

TradCat

You can't even believe the news in the Sunday Independent so you certainly shouldn't believe their polls.

stripey cat

The way they conduct their polls is as follows:

A person who voted Fianna Fáil in the last election, along with a flask containing a poison and a radioactive source, is placed in a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence. If an internal Geiger counter detects radiation, the flask is shattered, releasing the poison that kills the voter.

The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics implies that after a while, the voter is simultaneously alive and dead. Yet, when we look in the box, we see the voter either alive or dead, not both alive and dead.

Therefore, Sinn Féin have become even more unpopular, and Brian Lenihan is most people's choice for next Taoiseach.

Popular Threads

Most Replies