Are Ireland's Religious Statues Analagous to Confederate memorials?

Old Mr Grouser

Nobody else will start a thread on this so I'll have to.

Evetone laying down the law about those statues in the USA but someone, young and energetic, should be starting a thread about the Sisters of Mercy statue (or is it statues?) in Ennis, Co Clare, to be taken down. 'It's distortion of history' - locals call for statue dedicated to Sisters of Mercy to be removed - Independent.ie

Joe Duffy has devoted a whole programme to it. LIVELINE

It's going to be very controversial.

New thread, please. I'm off to bed, but placing things in an Irish context might make the discussion more sensible.
What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

A lot of people here are decrying Confederat statues and Confederate flags. But where's the condemnation regarding sectarian religious statues erected on public land all across the twenty-six counties?

PeaceGoalie

Neo Nazis attacked the Ballinspittle shrine. The iconoclastic scum involved are still looking over the shoulders.
Burn dowen Trinity College, Dublin Castle, Leinster House and all the other Brit supremacist symbols,. Then come back and talk about Christ Church, St Pat's, St Anne's and so on. The place is littered with Prot statues
Trinity have statues to slave ownedrs

The_SR

Neo Nazis attacked the Ballinspittle shrine. The iconoclastic scum involved are still looking over the shoulders.
Burn dowen Trinity College, Dublin Castle, Leinster House and all the other Brit supremacist symbols,. Then come back and talk about Christ Church, St Pat's, St Anne's and so on. The place is littered with Prot statues
Trinity have statues to slave ownedrs
Confirm or deny. Are you Maria Cahill and if so is the above representative of Labour policy?

Analyzer

Unbelievable.

Just replied to what I had assumed was the most idiotic OP in a long time here.

And another one shows up.

And it is even more absurd and ridiculous.

On a par with Al Qaeda destroying ancient staues if the Buddha. Complete stupidity. And I regularly poke fun at 'belief'.

Old Mr Grouser

maybe reflect on that aspect for a moment..
But there's plenty of people here pontificating about the Confederate statues in the US.

And you can't deny that these statues and similar do contribute to the animosity beteen the Republic and the North.

The_SR

But there's plenty of people here pontificating about the Confederate statues in the US.

And you can't deny that these statues and similar do contribute to the animosity beteen the Republic and the North.
They really don't. Not even almost.

Nitrogen

Human sacrifice may well have been part of the religious rituals practiced at Newgrange.

At the very least, we have good reason to imagine that the culture responsible for building the thing may have had a human rights record which would come up wanting by modern standards.

Obviously we should therefore destroy it.

What a national disgrace it is that the government have allowed it to remain standing for so long.

Analyzer

You only think that because you've been brainwashed.

Those statues give the message to any Protestant that he's in hostile territory.

Maybe they stop all going to Malaga in that case for vacations.

That quote from the Old Testament is hostile to athiests.

former wesleyan

They're great for giving directions…left at the Marian Shrine, next right...

Analyzer

Certainly though the row about the statue of Christ outside the Hospital in Killarney back in 2010 raised eyebrows.....

The OP makes a point worth discussing - certainly not in the same league as Bill and the "Father Ted made Loyalist Death Squads kill innocent Catholics"....
Says the eejet who grasped the stupidity of the similar thread on the border, but remind us that is incapable of objectivity by agreeing with an even more absurd OP than even that.

The problem is you don't see your bias as being in any way equally ridiculous

Emily Davison

They do? That's news to me? Speaking for myself, I couldn't care less about statutes all over Ireland depicting religious stuff. And that's despite my not being known for my love of the Roman Catholic Church in particular.

Ó Ghabhainn

It's not just sectarianism. There are many victims of the Catholic Church (lest we forget) and these statues are/were erected to remind the common folk that they are/were under the watchful eye.

Jesus is watching : the original Big Brother.

Emily Davison

You only think that because you've been brainwashed.

Those statues give the message to any Protestant that he's in hostile territory.

Ah FFS, who are you kidding. Have you not met any Protestants?

Emily Davison

Certainly though the row about the statue of Christ outside the Hospital in Killarney back in 2010 raised eyebrows.....

The OP makes a point worth discussing - certainly not in the same league as Bill and the "Father Ted made Loyalist Death Squads kill innocent Catholics"....
What statue in Killarney in 2010? Do I even want to know this.

Cruimh

Says the eejet who grasped the stupidity of the similar thread on the border, but remind us that is incapable of objectivity by agreeing with an even more absurd OP than even that.

The problem is you don't see your bias as being in any way equally ridiculous
Are you denying that there was a row about Killarney?

Eh?

http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture-community/125179-statue-jesus-removed-hospital-fear-giving-offence.html

There is little similarity between this OP and the daft one about the border which has no basis in reality.

Concerns about Catholic Iconography on the other hand are real.

Whether they are justified or not is a different matter....

New Threads

Most Replies