Are Irish People Still Being Targetted For Special Treatment On Entering The UK?

Passionateheart

I was never singled out for extra special treatment on entering a UK port or airport, but I was just generally disgusted by the way I have been treated at that S---hole Holyhead and Dover, which along with Heathrow have disgraced themselves many times in their delaings with Irish people, who it seems are invariably terrorists or drug pushers!
Just wanted to know if any of ye have experienced it and is it still going on and if so how can it be stopped!
I heard it said The Irish Embassy has a list of complaints made by our citizens to the ceiling and nothing has ever been done about it, lick, lick!
I have heard of many stories including assaults!
Even Christy Moore has been subjected to this rascism in recent times!
By the way, I don't take that as British people being rascist towards us, I don't accept that for a second, but the Uk establishment, the main abusers of ordinary British people has more than had its moments with us!

Bebsaboo

Do you want to give a few examples? How do you know it was because the passengers were Irish?

toughbutfair

In the 90s this would be normal and correct as the I.R.A were active and being Irish you'd be more likely than a German to be a terrorist.

I'd be surprised if they target Irish people now as it would not be logical.

Risteard

Actually Irish flights are still through separate controls. It very much remains alive. To think it doesn't is naeive or dishonest.

I was never singled out for extra special treatment on entering a UK port or airport, but I was just generally disgusted by the way I have been treated at that S---hole Holyhead and Dover, which along with Heathrow have disgraced themselves many times in their delaings with Irish people, who it seems are invariably terrorists or drug pushers!
Just wanted to know if any of ye have experienced it and is it still going on and if so how can it be stopped!
I heard it said The Irish Embassy has a list of complaints made by our citizens to the ceiling and nothing has ever been done about it, lick, lick!
By the way, I don't take that as British people being rascist towards us, I don't accept that for a second, but the Uk establishment, the main abusers of ordinary British people has more than had its moments with us!
I've been through Holyhead several times over many years and was only searched once, when my car was packed full of stuff, other than that never.

slx

In my experience that is simply not the case at all.

Anytime I've gone through London airports from an Irish flight, I have never even been asked for my passport. However, coming into Ireland from the UK I always have to show my passport.

It's also not unusual in Cork airport for the entire load of passengers on a flight to be lined up against the wall while a sniffer dog goes past. I have never been subjected to that in LHR or any UK airport.

Security in most British airports is just unpleasant in general post 9/11 etc. It can also be quite poorly and often incompetently organised, particularly in LHR i.e. long queues, lack of facilities, over-worked, aggressive staff. It's not targeting Irish people though anymore than it targets Brits.

My major gripe about LHR is the horrible hell-hole of a pier extension that is used for Irish and some internal UK flights. It's an utter disgrace and possibly the worst airport facility I have ever experienced anywhere. I have often spent a few hours sweltering in that stench hole. I don't know how the staff work in those conditions.

The air conditioning doesn't work, it's always either way too hot or freezing, the toilets are regularly filthy and can be smelled from the corridors etc. It's just gross and honestly you wouldn't expect that level of grot in an airport anywhere in the developed world.

I remember coming off an Air Canada flight and having to use some transfer zone at LHR which was equally bad. Canadian passengers were actually crying and starting to get really angry with how they were treated as we queued for 3 hours to clear security in sweltering heat.

Macy

Actually Irish flights are still through separate controls. It very much remains alive. To think it doesn't is naeive or dishonest.
Through a GB and Ireland channel, due to the common travel area, isn't it? Unless those from internal UK flights are also being discriminated against...

slx

Through a GB and Ireland channel, due to the common travel area, isn't it? Unless those from internal UK flights are also being discriminated against...
They have a separate control because neither the UK or Ireland are in the Schengen area so, ALL OTHER passengers have to go through UK border control in a much more rigorous manner than we do.

Most of the time all we have to do is walk off the plane and occasionally waive a boarding pass, although mostly you don't even have to do that.

It's a kip of a terminal though :)

The situation at Dublin and Cork is that there is no separate zone resulting in UK and Irish passengers being forced to clear immigration, even on domestic flights e.g. DUB-ORK.

Newsy

I have travelled several times to UK via flight and ferry.....never any hassle.

Deliverer

Moore has made more from the conflict in the past with pro IRA songs he also insulted Irish people in Britain calling them Irish paddies, to good for him.

Risteard

They have a separate terminal though which has 24/7 Special Irish Branch monitoring. They require people to fill in cards about where they are staying etc. and they are photographed entering and exiting the airport.

Don't be so dishonest.

slx

They have a separate terminal though which has 24/7 Special Irish Branch monitoring. They require people to fill in cards about where they are staying etc. and they are photographed entering and exiting the airport.

Don't be so dishonest.
I've *never* experienced this entering the UK and I fly back and forth quite regularly.

There's a pier in LHR Terminal 1 that handles Irish and Channel Island (Common Travel Area) flights. Other than that, it's integrated into the rest of the domestic section of terminal 1.

Nobody's ever asked me to fill in anything, or even provide ID entering the UK in probably hundreds of fights to and from.

Don't be so dishonest.

You have clearly never been to Britain. That's all made up. I go over and back constantly, have done for 20 years or more, there is never EVER anyone there questioning you, I have never once shown my passport, there are no cards, there are no photos (unless you mean CCTV, which photos everyone).

Why do you make up utter lies that everyone will contradict?

Risteard

I'm not making anything up. They photograph you as you enter the terminal from the aeroplane and again when you are checking in.

I'm not making up the Special Branch cards they require passengers to fill in under the provisions of the so-called "Terrorism Act" either. I can assure you that it happens.

I'm not making anything up. They photograph you as you enter the terminal from the aeroplane and again when you are checking in.

I'm not making up the Special Branch cards they require passengers to fill in under the provisions of the so-called "Terrorism Act" either. I can assure you that it happens.
Maybe then it is just YOU that has to fill in that card? Because never in 25 years of travelling over and back have I filled one in... They photograph EVERYONE checking in, you have to stand on a spot and look into the camera. That's common to everyone in Britain.

slx

Where are you flying from?!?

That simply has NEVER happened on any flight I have ever been on between Ireland and the UK and I have been on hundreds!

I seriously think you're making this up.

The camera thing is to prevent people swapping boarding passes in large airports where the security systems aren't ideal i.e. people mingle in the duty free areas etc from various different places.

When you go through security your face photo and boarding pass ID are linked on the internal system in the airport. So, when you are checked a second time e.g. before the gate, they can double-check that you are the person who was issued with that boarding pass.

It's basically to prevent people from exchanging passes in the airport and it applies to all passengers British, Irish, EU, or anyone else transiting UK airports.

Entering the UK from Cork is less hassle than entering DUBLIN from Cork in my experience.

I actually have to show my passport on entering Dublin or Cork airports on a domestic flight within the Republic of Ireland. Meanwhile, if I am flying to LHR from Cork, I can just walk straight through, get my bags and be on my way without any checks at all.

Occasionally, they ask for boarding passes that's about it.

Last edited:
I've been flying between NI/Ireland and the UK for years now and the only time I've ever seen anything was a sniffer dog in Knock earlier this year. There's never any police when you enter the UK side but always on this side.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies