Are Israeli Jews the most racist people on Earth?

PaulHarte

asteroid said:
Where did I say categorically that you were a Jew-hater? I said you struck me as hating Israel and Jews not that you actually do. You dislike the behaviour or attitudes of many Jews. As I do Gypsies.

I was a part-time retail security guard, and the few clans of Gypsies were all caught one by one thieving from all the shops my company protected. I'll never forget the day a frozen turkey fell out from beneath the dress of one particular Gypsy. Consequently, and drawing on my experiences, I would consider it imprudent to leave a Gypsy into my home.
Well thats conclusive evidence that all gypsies are thieves :roll: :roll:

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
asteroid said:
Skinner - Would you leave a begging Gypsy into your home? If youy did, and you were robbed, and decided not to do so again, would you be a racist?

Your question: Are Israeli Jews the most racist people on Earth? Well, I don't know about 'on earth'. That's debatable. But they do sound pretty racist by your standards, though not particularly by mine.

If they are as racist as you propose, what does that say about racism? To purport or impute that "Israeli Jews" are the most racist people on earth is surely a racist slur in itself, even if it be true.
In order:
Probably not, as I do not generally approve of begging, and no that would not make me racist unless I decided to treat all gypsies the same negative way simply because they were gypsies.
Your standards are not the accepted standards for racism, as I think we have established.
I have asked the question in relation to Israeli Jews. It is a question, not an imputation. I am awaiting people's answers to that question.

Pidge

asteroid said:
And Pidge - if the site was filthy and rubbish-strewn, and many of your neighbours objected and said they no longer wanted the Travellers there because of persistent messiness, would they all be "racist"?
No. You don't seem to get this.

If travellers cause a mess, then I'd like to see them move. This has nothing to do with their race, heritage or backround. I just don't want rubbish near my house.

If I wanted them to move simply because of their race, heritage or backround, then yes, I would be racist.

G

Paul Harte - where did I say all Gypsies were thieves? In my experience a very sizable proportion of them are. Hence my prudence.

G

Oh I get you alright. I suppose I could subscribe to that as well. I just think most Traveller sites are filthy. There are a few clean ones (one outside Mitchelstown that I know of) which is well kept. Fair enough.

Carrier

Website
www.newrepublicanforum.ie
asteroid said:
And Pidge - if the site was filthy and rubbish-strewn, and many of your neighbours objected and said they no longer wanted the Travellers there because of persistent messiness, would they all be "racist"?
If they deduced from the mess that all travellers were that filthy then yes, they would be racist.

That said, I live beside a halting site and it is filthy. What's more, the travellers rob clothes off our washing lines and stuff from our garden sheds. Off course there are many travellers who don't do that though.

G

OK carrier - my proposition is that incidents like you've mentioned engender prudence and caution, which are often labelled 'racism' by holier-than thou types.

G

I'm very friendly with three Travellers from Mitchelstown (all settled, but they have cousins living on the site). If I knew the Traveller personally yes; if not, no.

sackville

asteroid said:
If "race" is "irrelevent", then why use the word "racist"?
Are you trying to be rational or something., eh? :shock: (doublethink reigns)

the r-word is a wonderful catch-all with the considerable appeal to certain types, primarily because it can be used liberally as a weapon by them to bludgeon anyone one may choose as one's ‘out group’ ( those who, entirely at your discretion, you have chosen to brand 'racist') with total impunity and indeed even be beatified in the eyes of ones fashionista peers.
(all the rage in certain Bistros etc something like catching the latest Des Bishop tour DVD) .

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
In a vain attempt to retuen the debate to the title topic, can I ask people if they feel that this poll highlights an inate hypocrisy at the heart of Israel, in that they are quick to accuse those who oppose their policies of anti-semiticism while at the same time being extremely racist themselves?

Pidge

JCSkinner said:
In a vain attempt to retuen the debate to the title topic, can I ask people if they feel that this poll highlights an inate hypocrisy at the heart of Israel, in that they are quick to accuse those who oppose their policies of anti-semiticism while at the same time being extremely racist themselves?
Well, I think there's a certain oddity in using national/racial profiling to show who is more or less racist.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
JCSkinner said:
Well, I don't think it's wise to tar all Israelis with the same brush and the internal debate within Israel is far more nuanced and complex than is usually presented in the media. However, those results do indicate a substantial level of racism within Israeli society, and it's certainly something that those who defend Israel as the most liberal society and only democracy in the region should deal with.

As for whether Israeli Jews are the most racist people in the world, I've no idea and you certainly couldn't come to that conclusion on the basis of these results alone.

smiffy

Website
asteroid said:
Well, what can I say? Some of my friends are non-white, and non-settled. Are the great and the good (aka Smiffy, Skinner and pidge) so self-righteous and perfect that they have no prejudices?
I've got loads of prejudices. However, if you make a statement that's pretty obviously racist, and then ask if you're a racist, you're just asking for trouble.

G

I don't regard my positions as 'racist'. Discriminatory, sure. But not against a race. Against a mode of life, and people who subscribe to it.

smiffy

Website
asteroid said:
I don't regard my positions as 'racist'. Discriminatory, sure. But not against a race. Against a mode of life, and people who subscribe to it.
Which is also a position that many racists would have no problem with (e.g. "I wouldn't let a black man into my house because they're all thieves" etc.).

ON THE ONE ROAD

in a fight to the death who do people think would win.

the joker (the 1960's camp version) or martin king the weather man of TV3?

PaulHarte

asteroid said:
Paul Harte - where did I say all Gypsies were thieves? In my experience a very sizable proportion of them are. Hence my prudence.
Would it not also be your experience that hundreds upon hundreds of settled Irish people (non-gypsy or traveller) are also thieves?

Do you view all settled people in the same manner because of this?

My house has been robbed twice. On both occasions the people that done it were caught. One a teenager, the second a married man in his thirties. Both were from th settled community and not gypsies or travellers.

Because of this I do not hold the view that I have to be wary of all settled people.

G

Gee, Paul Harte, I didn't see that one coming. What do you think the answer is? I'm speaking comparitively. I don't have numbers, but I would say that a far greater proportion ogf Gypsies are thieves than are Irish. And I not you didn't answer my question.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies