• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are Labour/FG deliberately ignorant of NI?

IrishWelshCelt

So I was watching 'The Week in Politics' on RTE today and in response to Gerry Adams' call on Labour to leave the coalition Pat Rabbitte who was on the show responded by refusing to address the question but merely criticised SF for their "hypocrisy in terms of backing rates in NI but opposing the property tax in the south".

Now this is not the first time the stickies and their blueshirt partners in FG have made such claims yet a simple google will reveal that rates up north while costing around 3 times more than property tax covers a wide varity of services which we have to pay for in the south such education/books, emergency services, health, housing, roads water, sewerage and bin collection. Now if I were to recieve all of those services I'd be more than happy to pay it unlike in the south where we dont get similar benefits.

However this is not the first time Rabbitte, Labour or the government are guilty of such ignorance about the situation in northern ireland. Is this a deliberate ignorance about northern ireland? Do LB/FG not understand how the social welfare system works and how the assembly in northern ireland only have limited control over taxation in northern ireland? Deliberate ignorance or an attempt at party politics?

friendlyfire

They can't justify all the stealth taxes(the old argument it was FF/troika) just ain't working anymore.So they make outlandish statements about policy in the North, and the complement media just give them a free run...... no scrutiny whatsoever.

Rabbitte is so played out it is boring!

Dr Pat

Have to agree with this. The image that comes across is that Labour and Fine Gael seem to be very much 26 county parties and that as far as they are concerned NI seems to be full of aliens from Mars. Open to correction, of course.

Ren84

Have to agree with this. The image that comes across is that Labour and Fine Gael seem to be very much 26 county parties and that as far as they are concerned NI seems to be full of aliens from Mars. Open to correction, of course.
Pretty spot on really.

cricket

So I was watching 'The Week in Politics' on RTE today and in response to Gerry Adams' call on Labour to leave the coalition Pat Rabbitte who was on the show responded by refusing to address the question but merely criticised SF for their "hypocrisy in terms of backing rates in NI but opposing the property tax in the south".

Now this is not the first time the stickies and their blueshirt partners in FG have made such claims yet a simple google will reveal that rates up north while costing around 3 times more than property tax covers a wide varity of services which we have to pay for in the south such education/books, emergency services, health, housing, roads water, sewerage and bin collection. Now if I were to recieve all of those services I'd be more than happy to pay it unlike in the south where we dont get similar benefits.

However this is not the first time Rabbitte, Labour or the government are guilty of such ignorance about the situation in northern ireland. Is this a deliberate ignorance about northern ireland? Do LB/FG not understand how the social welfare system works and how the assembly in northern ireland only have limited control over taxation in northern ireland? Deliberate ignorance or an attempt at party politics?
Perhaps you would enlighten us and tell us what you think the government parties should be saying/doing about NI ?

IrishWelshCelt

Perhaps you would enlighten us and tell us what you think the government parties should be saying/doing about NI ?
Making efforts towards Irish unity is one I'd say but thats wishful thinking....

As I highlighted in the OP they should at least get their facts right before talking sh*te on tv/radio

InsideImDancing

Is Leo going to Thatchers funeral?
No, Ruairi Quinn (Labour) is.

OP "Deliberate ignorance or an attempt at party politics?"

It's both mate, deliberate ignorance in order to play party politics. These parties play the do nothing game when it comes to a UI, although they would welcome it if Unionists could be persuaded, also, I reckon FG have a lot of Unionists in their ranks who'd like to see some kind of new relationship with Britain.

Glenshane4

I can see no evidence that the politicians of Labour and Fine Gael are any more ignorant about Northern Ireland that the general Eire population. I used to think that the average, common or garden Eireperson did not understand Northern Ireland but, in recent years, my opinion on that has changed. The average Eireperson does not know basic facts and that ignorance extends even to the higher reaches of Eire society.

Glenshane4

I suggest that they keep their mouths tightly shut about Northern Ireland. And that applies to Fianna Fail and to Eire members of Sinn Fein. All Eirefolk should let Northern Ireland be a far off land about which they know little, understand less and care nothing. Better still, they should pretend that Northern Ireland does not exist. Yet better, they should pretend that Northern Ireland never did exist.

cricket

Making efforts towards Irish unity is one I'd say but thats wishful thinking....

As I highlighted in the OP they should at least get their facts right before talking sh*te on tv/radio
" Making efforts towards Irish unity ", if that isn't code for" talking sh*te ", I don't know what is. Thankfully, most of that claptrap went out with Haughey/Blaney, etc.

IrishWelshCelt

I can see no evidence that the politicians of Labour and Fine Gael are any more ignorant about Northern Ireland that the general Eire population. I used to think that the average, common or garden Eireperson did not understand Northern Ireland but, in recent years, my opinion on that has changed. The average Eireperson does not know basic facts and that ignorance extends even to the higher reaches of Eire society.
If you're going to refuse to use Ireland and substitute the gaelic version of the word at least do it correctly as there is no such thing as a "Eireperson", use either the english of "Irishman/woman" or the Irish version "muintir na hÉireann"

IrishWelshCelt

I suggest that they keep their mouths tightly shut about Northern Ireland. And that applies to Fianna Fail and to Eire members of Sinn Fein. All Eirefolk should let Northern Ireland be a far off land about which they know little, understand less and care nothing. Better still, they should pretend that Northern Ireland does not exist. Yet better, they should pretend that Northern Ireland never did exist.
Paranoid much? :lol:

IrishWelshCelt

" Making efforts towards Irish unity ", if that isn't code for" talking sh*te ", I don't know what is. Thankfully, most of that claptrap went out with Haughey/Blaney, etc.
Its not exactly talking sh*te is it? Even simple things such as a green paper for a UI, more north/south relations, bringing forward legislation to allow irish people up north vote in referendums/presidential elections.

Do you deny as a Labour supporter that your party often spout sh*te about the likes of social welfare, rates etc in regards to the north without actually understanding the differences between them and their equivalents down south?

Ren84

"Eire" population?! Cop on FFS. You're as bad as that other clown CR.

Ren84

You're an idiot.

Ren84

Typical Stickie scumbag attitude. Thankfully Labour is about to go the same way as the PD's. :)

Ren84

Its not exactly talking sh*te is it? Even simple things such as a green paper for a UI, more north/south relations, bringing forward legislation to allow irish people up north vote in referendums/presidential elections.

Do you deny as a Labour supporter that your party often spout sh*te about the likes of social welfare, rates etc in regards to the north without actually understanding the differences between them and their equivalents down south?
Labour doesn't care about anyone but themselves.

Swords Hoopster

Labour and Fine Gael seem to be very much 26 county parties and that as far as they are concerned NI seems to be full of aliens from Mars.

They wouldn't be far off, would they?!