Are Limerick City motorist been forced to used tolled tunnel?

realistic1

Since the new tolled Limerick Shannon Tunnel has opened in Limerick, a large number of traffic lights signals have been installed around the City and more are to follow. The new lights are causing massive traffic disruption at certain peak times in the area. My question is: Has there been any outside influence in the installations of these traffic signals, so as to ensure motorists have to use the new tolled road? See below link to article in Limerick Leader.

See below link:

Limerick city to get 16 new sets of traffic lights - Limerick Leader

Lacticacid

I am beginning to think so too. The removal of the Shannon Bridge roundabout will cause chaos and delay around the city centre, interesting that the Limerick Chamber of Commerce is not saying anything.

Limerick Lad

Some of these traffic lights are badly needed, such as those that are to be installed at the Dock Road/Shannon Bridge junction to replace the current Shannon Bridge roundabout where there is a constant traffic jam due to Irish motorists seeming inability to understand how roundabouts work.

alonso

The installation of 16 sets of lights in a city the size of Limerick seems utterly over the top...

However these things tend to settle down after a few months as changes are made in criver behaviour and moreover, phasing and staging of lights adapt to the circumstances,

realistic1

Some of these traffic lights are badly needed, such as those that are to be installed at the Dock Road/Shannon Bridge junction to replace the current Shannon Bridge roundabout where there is a constant traffic jam due to Irish motorists seeming inability to understand how roundabouts work.
Since the tunnell opened the Shannon Bridge roundabout has been a pleasure to use but the new traffic lights after the Shannon bridge has made it worse than ever.

realistic1

The installation of 16 sets of lights in a city the size of Limerick seems utterly over the top...

However these things tend to settle down after a few months as changes are made in criver behaviour and moreover, phasing and staging of lights adapt to the circumstances,
Isnt it amazing there was no sign of these traffic lights before the Tunnel opened?? And how come in this time of recession there is plenty of money for all the traffic lights?

brughahaha

Well I cant comment on Limerick but its credible given the traffic restrictions put in place on Dublins new Beckett bridge to maintain the East Link toll bridges monopoly and financial profitability

corelli

I was in Limerick the other day for the first time in ages. The new access from the Galway-Limerick road, at what was the old "limerick Inn Hotel" is well designed, is easy to navigate and does not make you use the tunnel at all. I was all about the city with no ill affect. If you don't want to use it, there is no need. The dock road method of entrance/exit to the city is still perfectly available and easy to find and navigate. It's a great improvement in my view.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Since the new tolled Limerick Shannon Tunnel has opened in Limerick, a large number of traffic lights signals have been installed around the City and more are to follow. The new lights are causing massive traffic disruption at certain peak times in the area. My question is: Has there been any outside influence in the installations of these traffic signals, so as to ensure motorists have to use the new tolled road? See below link to article in Limerick Leader.

See below link:

Limerick city to get 16 new sets of traffic lights - Limerick Leader
What is this large number of which you speak, 16 isn't a large number. Especially when you read more and discover that many of those 16 'new' sets are in fact replacements for existing sets of traffic lights.

Limerick Lad

Since the tunnell opened the Shannon Bridge roundabout has been a pleasure to use but the new traffic lights after the Shannon bridge has made it worse than ever.
First you claim motorists are being driven to use the tunnel by the installation of various traffic lights around the city and then argue that use of the tunnel has actually improved traffic flow at one of the major traffic snarl ups in the city.
Which is it to be?

Trying to exit on to Condell Road by the Salesians School has always caused a build up of traffic back up to Union Cross and traffic lights should ease that problem.

realistic1

First you claim motorists are being driven to use the tunnel by the installation of various traffic lights around the city and then argue that use of the tunnel has actually improved traffic flow at one of the major traffic snarl ups in the city.
Which is it to be?

Trying to exit on to Condell Road by the Salesians School has always caused a build up of traffic back up to Union Cross and traffic lights should ease that problem.
Have you travelled through the dock road roundabout since the new traffic lights went up? Just go down there to see the issues this evening and experience the problems.

BringBackNavanMan

"Are Limerick City motorist "been" forced to used tolled tunnel?"

Should that be BEING?

LazyLazy

The Dublin road to Shannon (via Thomand Park) is a joke. The whole city is now delayed since a number of traffic lights were put up. It used to take me less than 10 minutes to get to work and now it takes about 25-30 minutes and I can’t use the tunnel going to work because I just travel inside the city. So the County Council just said watch we’ll put up all lights everywhere and force people to use the tunnel and who cares about the city people travelling inside just inside the city. I can't believe I pay taxes for county council workers to make my life more dangerous and longer. I remember when they were putting them up I was in shock because they basically got a 1K stretch straight road which already had 5 sets of traffic lights (from Frank Hogans to the Hunt museum) and inserted another set of traffic lights at Clare street and just before Balls bridge replaced a roundabout with a set of hazardous traffic lights. So now the 2 new traffic lights are about 30 meters from each other with the existing lights 10 meters after them. So that’s 3 sets of lights within 50 meters. The basically took a map of the city and decided how can we make delays in every route from the Dublin road to Shannon in order to delay “possible tunnel toll” drivers.

Not alone do we pay people to take our money TAXES (forcing us to use the tunnel and I drive a commercial mini van - @ 3.20 tunnel toll another rip off) but they are also morons. When they originally set up the Tipperary slip road (in 2008) to the M7 they used a cross over turn instead of a slip road. I mean who the hell gets these jobs because at this time they had the money and it was only after a number of accidents (which was obviously going to happen) they decided they needed lights and in this case they did. But a slip road would have been much more efficient in the first place.

Also in town by the CBS School they created a new one way system (in 2010) which has since been a disaster.

I spoke to a number of taxi drivers on all these issues and their going crazy over this and rightly so.

And the worst thing is its all here for good – What A F Joke!!!

gijoe

IIRC the NRA/Council are on the hook to compensate the operater if a minimum number of vehicles do not use the tunnel and that early usage figures were poor compared to the number required. With Shannon Airport a shadow of its former self I'd imagine the targets were based on a lot more passengers going too/from the airport. It is worthwhile using the tunnel if you are coming from Kerry/West Limerick on the Coast Road but less of a benefit if you are coming off the Cork Road where the bulk of traffic is coming from.

JoeHickey

IIRC the NRA/Council are on the hook to compensate the operater if a minimum number of vehicles do not use the tunnel and that early usage figures were poor compared to the number required. With Shannon Airport a shadow of its former self I'd imagine the targets were based on a lot more passengers going too/from the airport. It is worthwhile using the tunnel if you are coming from Kerry/West Limerick on the Coast Road but less of a benefit if you are coming off the Cork Road where the bulk of traffic is coming from.
The Taxpayer is liable for any shortfall in business thru the tunnell if agreed numbers are not achieved. Basicially the agreed numbers are somewhere in the region of 18,000 a day. Figures being achieved are (estimated) under 13,000. That penalities of 5,000 a day 365 days a year. Great deal if you can get it. Anyone have anyfurther info to estimate how much it will cost?
i.e ...What is penalty per vechicle X 5,000 penalties per day X 365 days a year X how many years = how many hundreds of Millions??
What a joke???

Bleu Poppy

Have you travelled through the dock road roundabout since the new traffic lights went up? Just go down there to see the issues this evening and experience the problems.
The Dock Road / Shannon Bridge has been a SNAFU since the day it opened.

If anything, the removal of some traffic from the dock road has exacerbated the situation as there is an imbalance in the vehicle flows approaching the roundabout.

Bleu Poppy

The Dublin road to Shannon (via Thomand Park) is a joke. The whole city is now delayed since a number of traffic lights were put up. It used to take me less than 10 minutes to get to work and now it takes about 25-30 minutes and I can’t use the tunnel going to work because I just travel inside the city. So the County Council just said watch we’ll put up all lights everywhere and force people to use the tunnel and who cares about the city people travelling inside just inside the city. I can't believe I pay taxes for county council workers to make my life more dangerous and longer. I remember when they were putting them up I was in shock because they basically got a 1K stretch straight road which already had 5 sets of traffic lights (from Frank Hogans to the Hunt museum) and inserted another set of traffic lights at Clare street and just before Balls bridge replaced a roundabout with a set of hazardous traffic lights. So now the 2 new traffic lights are about 30 meters from each other with the existing lights 10 meters after them. So that’s 3 sets of lights within 50 meters. The basically took a map of the city and decided how can we make delays in every route from the Dublin road to Shannon in order to delay “possible tunnel toll” drivers.

Not alone do we pay people to take our money TAXES (forcing us to use the tunnel and I drive a commercial mini van - @ 3.20 tunnel toll another rip off) but they are also morons. When they originally set up the Tipperary slip road (in 2008) to the M7 they used a cross over turn instead of a slip road. I mean who the hell gets these jobs because at this time they had the money and it was only after a number of accidents (which was obviously going to happen) they decided they needed lights and in this case they did. But a slip road would have been much more efficient in the first place.

Also in town by the CBS School they created a new one way system (in 2010) which has since been a disaster.

I spoke to a number of taxi drivers on all these issues and their going crazy over this and rightly so.

And the worst thing is its all here for good – What A F Joke!!!
Lazy lazy- not a single intervention mentioned to you in respect of your journey to work is attributable to any county council.

It's all Limerick City- and their road engineers have never been known for their ability to handle traffic.

Mind you, I do take your point in respect of the Southern Bypass and the Tipperary Road junction.... total disaster from day one.

Northtipp

In fairness, the city is relatively traffic free since the road opened. Well to some degree. Plus, it's a good road if you use it regularly.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Trouble is the entrance to the tunnel near the Radisson on the Clare side.

In order to - we'll say - entice traffic towards the tunnel, they made the dual carriageway on both sides of the entrance single lane just at a roundabout, creating a fairly dodgy merge. Coming from Limerick, you have to try and enter the dual carriageway from a relatively short slip road with little visibility as regards merging traffic. Coming from Shannon the road simply goes into a single lane for what was previously a dual carriageway.

It was a dual carriageway de to the level of traffic it received, much of which has ignored the tunnel since its opening due to the price, thus this road continues to have heavy traffic which can't be accommodated so prettily on a narrow road.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies