• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Are muslims forbidden from working on Fridays?

inthemire

Hello,

I offered a job to a guy recently who stated that he was forbidden from working on Fridays as he is Muslim.

Is this an actual restriction on Muslims being allowed to work on Fridays?

Is there somewhere that i can reference what the Do's and Don'ts of the Muslim faith?

I was also told that a Muslim man cannot shake the hand of a non-relative (regardless of the faith of that person) - is this accurate or is it another "urban myth" ?

Any assistance greatly appreciated, particularly if it can provide me with some knowledge of a different faith.

neiphin

google is your friend

ruserious

I'm available for hire with immediate effect and I will work Fridays.

Levellers

Of course they can work on Friday - same as Christians can work Sundays.

Some Muslims won't shake hands with females who are not members of their family.

Victor Meldrew

All the OP seems nonsense. Or phenomenally unobserved by any Muslims I have worked with. Ramadan, Fasting during work, yes, but the whole point is that it is supposed to be difficult and they just get on with it.

On the flip side, can anyone recall a Christian refusing to work on Sunday on religious grounds?.

It is probably just that the guy has religious things to do and does not WANT to work on Friday as it will interfere with his religious observance.

Forbidden is not the same thing.

Sync

No, it's bollox. You've got Salatal Juma on Fridays which he should want to attend, but that just means he takes 2 hours and goes to the local mosque to pray. You're totally allowed to do everything else you would normally do on that day.

Now (As someone else mentioned) he may not want to work on Fridays, but there's nothing in the Koran forbidding it.

paulp

I don't want to work on Fridays either.

Too late now though. I've been rolling that boulder all morning.

Are you close to the top of the hill yet?

julieandrews

I work with a few Muslims - some of them very religious but they're all present and correct at their desk on a Friday. I've also never had war break out at a meeting where they've refused to shake somebodies hand, so thats complete rubbish also.

Clanrickard

I work with a few Muslims - some of them very religious but they're all present and correct at their desk on a Friday. I've also never had war break out at a meeting where they've refused to shake somebodies hand, so thats complete rubbish also.
It is not rubbish. Many of them will refuse to shake a woman's hand.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Nonsense. Nobody is forbidden. Allah or God or whatever is not going to smite anybody. These so-called prohibitions are in people's own deluded heads.

dunno

I don't want to work on Fridays either.

Too late now though. I've been rolling that boulder all morning.

Do you think I should take a half day? It's lovely and sunny outside.
Do it. You've got Godly warrant for it, well one of them. Now's it's overcast. I'm happy inside.

Ulster-Lad

Take on ruserious for the position. ;)

b.a. baracus

All the OP seems nonsense. Or phenomenally unobserved by any Muslims I have worked with. Ramadan, Fasting during work, yes, but the whole point is that it is supposed to be difficult and they just get on with it.

On the flip side, can anyone recall a Christian refusing to work on Sunday on religious grounds?.

It is probably just that the guy has religious things to do and does not WANT to work on Friday as it will interfere with his religious observance.

Forbidden is not the same thing.
That Scottish Rugby player who won't play games if they are on Sundays. He is a pro so it is his job. Can't think of his name off hand. Sorry - see statsman got there ahead of me.

TheWexfordInn

It is not rubbish. Many of them will refuse to shake a woman's hand.
In a professional work situation in a western country? Never seen it happen. Result would be disciplining at best, firing at worst.
I have seen this happen (albeit only once). I guess maybe if there had been senior management around or if anyone had wanted to make a fuss then a big deal could have been made of it bus as it happens the women concerned did not make an issue out of it and both people are still working for this same company. Although fortunately as it happens their work does not put them in contact with each other, if that were the case it would cause a problem.

The bit about Muslims not working on Fridays is cobblers though, even the fervent non-handskaker above who pops out of the office many times a day to pray appears not to have a problem with that.

chaucer

I worked for a large, multinational company which went out of it's way to embrace all cultures and religious beliefs. There was a prayer room provided for private prayer for the many Muslims in the company and not once did I hear anyone say that they were forbidden to work on a Friday.

Popular Threads

Most Replies