Are Paddy Power unethical in quoting Schwarzenegger for US Republican Primaries?

Tea Party Patriot

The question I pose has a valid point in that unless the US Constitution is actually amended before 2012 Arnold Schwarzenegger is ineligible to hold the office of President of the United States as he was not born a US Citizen. I wonder if whoever sets the odds over in Paddy Powers is aware of this?

However I would suspect that there are many members of the Irish public who would be totally unaware of his ineligibility but would know of his high profile as an actor and Governor of California and may be tempted to bet on him at 50/1

Therefore I wonder if Paddy Power are being unethical in quoting a price on Arnold Schwarzenegger winning the Republican Primaries?

Republican Presidential Nominee - US Presidential Election 2012 Betting Odds - Paddy Power

CorkHurler

Anyone betting on politics should do their homework first, I'm going to have a few quid on Paul Ryan @ 33/1. While offically he says he wont run, his demeanour is that of someone who could be persuaded to change his mind. He is a fiscal conservative which taps in to the national mood, and a good media performer, he'd would make a bold bid in the primaries if he were to put his name in the ring.

Green eyed monster

The question I pose has a valid point in that unless the US Constitution is actually amended before 2012 Arnold Schwarzenegger is ineligible to hold the office of President of the United States as he was not born a US Citizen. I wonder if whoever sets the odds over in Paddy Powers is aware of this.

However I would suspect that there are many members of the Irish public who would be totally unaware of his ineligibility but would know of his high profile as an actor and Governor of California and may be tempted to bet on him at 50/1

Therefore I wonder if Paddy Power are being unethical in quoting a price on Arnold Schwarzenegger winning the Republican Primaries?

Republican Presidential Nominee - US Presidential Election 2012 Betting Odds - Paddy Power
I don't think ethics come into it (they exist to take your money) and the 50/1 odds look to me like they have his handicap (inelegibility at this time) factored in, so it doesn't look unfair.

They just made a proposition and aren't forcing anyone to part with their money in taking them up on it.

Personally i have contempt for the concept of gambling (friendly card games and such aside), i think it's for mugs for the most part - although i would have strong respect for a 'professional' who has the consistent ability to take money off the takers.

Tea Party Patriot

Anyone betting on politics should do their homework first, I'm going to have a few quid on Paul Ryan @ 33/1. While offically he says he wont run, his demeanour is that of someone who could be persuaded to change his mind. He is a fiscal conservative which taps in to the national mood, and a good media performer, he'd would make a bold bid in the primaries if he were to put his name in the ring.
Agreed they should do their homework, but should the price not be a least 500/1 given the US Constitution would have to be amended as well?

Sync

Yeah I can see your point. It's more than a little shabby from them.

LiquidPaddy

Caveat emptor when dealing with one of ireland's largest financial institutions... LOL

PrinceMax

Nope, if you look at Paddy Power betting for anything, there is always one joke selection that isn't very likely.

Oh, anyone else see - they're taking bets on Lenihan's tie colour for the budget. Blue is 2/1 - while priest's collar is 250-1.

PrinceMax

Some other nice budget specials too:

Lenihan to pose as Santa Claus in budget day photocall 50-1
Olli Rehn to deliver the budget 100-1
Lenihan to make speech in German 250-1

I would have thought all of these were equally as unlikely, but then maybe there's been a lot of betting activity on the first two.

drkpower

The question I pose has a valid point in that unless the US Constitution is actually amended before 2012 Arnold Schwarzenegger is ineligible to hold the office of President of the United States as he was not born a US Citizen. I wonder if whoever sets the odds over in Paddy Powers is aware of this?]
Neither was Obama and he IS President.......

I'll get my coat.

Bobert

Fools and their money...

mcdonald douglas

Paddy Power shouldn't be offering odds on someone who can't enter the race.They should apologize to their customers and refund all bets on Schwarzenegger.

Tea Party Patriot

Neither was Obama and he IS President.......

I'll get my coat.
Obama's mother was a US Citizen; that made him a US Citizen at birth automatically.

jackryan

I have stopped betting on politics! as especially I see they now commission opinion polls themselves! one pointer for anyone who wants to bet.
never never bet on your own party unless u can afford the loss!
if u have inside knowledge keep it to ureself!

I have lost and won on political bettting! but be careful the bookies always win!

sweetest victory 4 me was betting on barroso as pres. eu commission won €250! i note odds are way tightened up!!

PrivateBob

Obama's mother was a US Citizen; that made him a US Citizen at birth automatically.
Just to be pedantic, it doesn't matter whether or not you are a US citizen, you need to have been born in the US to be president.

You can also be eligible if you were born on a US military base overseas, as John McCain was (though AFAIK he was born on such a base before that legislation came into effect, making his eligibility questionable!).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies