• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Are people using suicide to clear debt? Can suicide be prevented?

potholedogger

Are people using suicide to clear their families of debt?

525 people were officially recorded as committing suicide last year and about another 70 deaths were indeterminate.

Many other people die in accidental circumstances that many people suspect are suicides. A number of people known to me with large property and business generated debt have committed suicide and have been suspected of committing suicide.

In times of tragedy many people have been supposed to have been driven to suicide, but is there a more rational explanation that people saw suicide as an option to clear their property debts and provide for their family?

Can suicide prevention programs really prevent someone form committing suicide, or is such expenditure simply a gesture to enable Government to be seen to be doing something about suicide?

Many life insurance policies pay out even if the insured died of suicide after an initial 2 year exclusion period, provided full disclosure was made in relation to mental health issues at the time the proposals was being filled out.

Could lives be saved by ending the practice of insurance companies paying out on suicides?

About 84 percent of recorded suicides are by males and 80% of suicides involve mental health issues.

55% of suicides are by hanging. While initiatives such as restricting access to paracetamol are practical how do you prevent people from killing themselves?

joemac67

525 people were officially recorded as committing suicide last year and about another 70 deaths were indeterminate.

Many other people die in accidental circumstances that many people suspect are suicides. A number of people known to me with large property and business generated debt have committed suicide and have been suspected of committing suicide.

In times of tragedy many people have been supposed to have been driven to suicide, but is there a more rational explanation that people saw suicide as an option to clear their property debts and provide for their family?

Can suicide prevention programs really prevent someone form committing suicide, or is such expenditure simply a gesture to enable Government to be seen to be doing something about suicide?

Many life insurance policies pay out even if the insured died of suicide after an initial 2 year exclusion period, provided full disclosure was made in relation to mental health issues at the time the proposals was being filled out.

Could lives be saved by ending the practice of insurance companies paying out on suicides?

About 84 percent of recorded suicides are by males and 80% of suicides involve mental health issues.

55% of suicides are by hanging. While initiatives such as restricting access to paracetamol are practical how do you prevent people from killing themselves?
This post sums you up i think , you begrudge even the dead .

SeanieFitz

somebody has watched Its a Beautiful Life over the Christmas hols methinks!

GDPR

you cant unless you give people something worth living for. An ''open prison'' sentence of decades of debt with severely reduced lifestyle for your kids etc while bankers,politicians and those especially responsible get off scot free is a good motivation for some. Most of us are worth more dead than alive as life insurance policies already exist on negative equity mortgages which will eventually pay them off if we don't.

Asparagus

Tool.

potholedogger

Aye, and far from the sharpest one in the box.
Negative equity mortgages have created a huge incentive for suicide which many people are embracing. It is virtually impossible to prevent suicides retaled to mental health issues.

Happytolearn

you cant unless you give people something worth living for. An ''open prison'' sentence of decades of debt with severely reduced lifestyle for your kids etc while bankers,politicians and those especially responsible get off scot free is a good motivation for some. Most of us are worth more dead than alive as life insurance policies already exist on negative equity mortgages which will eventually pay them off if we don't.

Realising a few months back that I was worth way more dead to my bank than alive sent a real chill up my spine. I'm not saying they'd attempt a hit - but knowing that they'd benefit from my death certainly put things into perspective for me.

statsman

Negative equity mortgages have created a huge incentive for suicide which many people are embracing. It is virtually impossible to prevent suicides retaled to mental health issues.
The single largest group affected are 15-24 year old males; not a lot of mortgages there. Now stop using personal tragedy to make some kind of bizarre political point.

Ulster-Lad

How exactly does the debtor benefit?

potholedogger

The single largest group affected are 15-24 year old males; not a lot of mortgages there. Now stop using personal tragedy to make some kind of bizarre political point.
Would it concern you that people were commiting suicide to ensure their families benefited financially?

Do you not think these suicides are preventable by outlawing life insurance payouts for suicide?

statsman

Would it concern you that people were commiting suicide to ensure their families benefited financially?

Do you not think these suicides are preventable by outlawing life insurance payouts for suicide?
First, prove that it's happening on any kind of scale. As I said, the largest single group of Irish victims of suicide will not have mortgages.

vladimir

Suicide does not take away debts. And why should Insurance not pay out after a lapse of some time, when eg a person becomes ill mentally.

beazlebottom

Realising a few months back that I was worth way more dead to my bank than alive sent a real chill up my spine. I'm not saying they'd attempt a hit - but knowing that they'd benefit from my death certainly put things into perspective for me.
Jesus, don't give the bustards any more nasty ideas, they are being total ************************s already without they starting to resort to assassination ( and I would not put it past them at this stage)>

GDPR

Every other day in London tube lines are stopped or delayed because of a "person under train". On one day last week there were two such incidents.

Seems to increase when there is a recession. In the early 90s it was around once a week; this time around it seems to be much more frequent.

These deaths are very distressing for train drivers, and the newest part of the Tube, the Jubilee Line extension, has a wall at the edge of the platform so people cannot jump onto the tracks.

I also feel sorry for people who can see death as the only solution for their current problems.

statsman

Yes a lot of young people commit suicide. A lot of older people do too.
And the link to the research demonstrating that they do so to avoid mortgage debt is where, exactly?

Popular Threads

Most Replies