• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Are politicians subject to too much online abuse ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The minister with responsibility for mental health seems to think so , and advocates extra support systems
Support system for protecting TDs and Senators from 'venom' to be considered - The Irish Times - Mon, Dec 24, 2012
As focus increased on the possible role abusive messages on
social media played in the death of Fine Gael TD Shane McEntee,
Minister of State Kathleen Lynch said the consequences of such
personal attacks should not be underestimated.
“I am giving serious thought to bringing [qualified] people in to
speak to different groups of TDs about how best to protect
themselves from the venom out there,” she said.
Do you agree with her ?

cYp

d7bohs

Yes, on balance, and after reading about McEntee's death, I'm feeling a little guilty about an email I sent to a TD this year. Some politicians are unscrupulous crooks, and we can all name them, but they're the ones who are also relatively impervious to criticism. Others, while their actions - or the actions they support with their votes in the house - may be wrong, are generally convinced they are doing the right, or the least wrong thing, and are not motivated by class hatred or greed. That's how ideology works: by making it seem that what you are doing in its service is what you would do anyway, by making the artificial and interested appear natural and disinterested.

I would add that the clientist and deeply personal nature of Irish politics must add hugely to the stresses of the job, compared with polities where there is more distance between electorate and elected.

Big Brother

The minister with responsibility for mental health seems to think so , and advocates extra support systems
Support system for protecting TDs and Senators from 'venom' to be considered - The Irish Times - Mon, Dec 24, 2012

Do you agree with her ?

cYp

Having read "The Lost Revolution" and the culture of bullying and often violent intimidation in the WP of which she was a member she shd be asked whether she knew of these activities and if so what she did about them. Given venom of WP / Labour towards everyone else when they were in opposption I dont think any of them are suitable to lead on this issue

xt40

Absolute rubbish. Politicians who--
1 pay themselves multiples of what normal people earn
2 milk their expenses on top
3 protect vested interests at the expense of wider society
and then force us to tighten our belts (whether we have one or not)
deserve all the criticism they get.
It suits them to call it "abuse" as they get to play victim
I am sure people would not abuse them if they lived in the same world and on similar money as the people they pretend to represent.
They live in a self -created ivory tower and have nobody to blame but themselves.
In particular i would single out for blame all the greasy pole climbing line-towing grey suit wearing members of ff,fg,lab who seem unable to formulate an independant thought between them and whose main ambition seems to be to "do an enda", i.e. keep the head down and eventually get the big job through a process of elimination. Bunch of B's, the lot of them. Their antics have and continue to ruin this country.

The Field Marshal

Do you agree with her ?

cYp
This female labour minister of state is behaving in true left wing paranoid style in the face of trenchant criticism of the cruel & penal budgetary/taxation policies
pursued by her govt.

Out of touch left wing ideologues like herself cannot abide free and open criticism of either their evil doctrines or the effects of same which have resulted in human devastation, unemployment and suicide in Ireland.

Now she is obviously prepared to squander yet more taxpayers money in hiring professional counsellors to insulate herself and her fellow tenderfoots from the deserved criticism of a free media.

Persons like Minister Lynch cannot actually be trusted since what she is really on about is getting in the thin end of the wedge to stifle open public comment.

SKELLY

what about the other 600 or so people who take there own lives in this country each year?

what about the disgrace that is our mental health system?

what about the 3 months plus waiting list to see a psychiatrist and/or psychologist?

only when it affects a politician do they "get people in to help"

and i guarantee they wont be waiting 3-6 months

sickening!

harshreality

Politicians know, or should know, full well the nature of the gold fish bowl world they inhabit. Theirs is a unique type of job that can have huge implications on the lives of citizens and it is only proper and correct that their performance, within the position they occupy, is subject to scrutiny and criticism.

Personal abuse should not enter the equation though. Personally I will criticize politicians and their decisions until the cows come home but personal abuse serves no useful purpose and should have no place in this site or any other!

SKELLY

it just goes to show how out of touch they are when they come out with this rubbish.

Why not take a cut in wages and direct that money to mental health services and then people will think hey at least they are feeling the pain and showing solidarity with the people.

but no, instead of showing leadership, they will go on and waste more taxpayers money, on themselves.

chef35

Although I agree that people should have access to support, I believe, that as a whole we are aware of how social media can impact on our lives (as adults), and as a result we are aware how to switch off from it as necessary. (dis-able face-book pages etc.). I think that to attribute this to social media alone, and not general media and personal correspondence is at fault here. I sincerely appollogise if I am wrong here, and I am always saddened by any death especially by suicide, but I feel that their are some individuals jumping on this bandwagon and using it as a propoganda tool. Social media has been around for a long time, and can be very callous, as are a lot of media sources, but to sensationalise its presummed association with the death of a public figure is jevenille. (excuse spelling mistakes).

olli rehn

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen !

ObsessiveMathsFreak

Deputy McEntee was one vulnerable individual in a nest of absolute vipers. My suspicions are that pressure from Dail colleagues had far more to do with his death than random online abuse he probably didn't even get to read.

As such, I refuse to allow the vipers off the hook on account of this issue(They will try though). Public criticism of unethical and corrupt behaviour should continue. It's possible to do this without going all out Derek Smart though.

GDPR

politicians take care of each other like communists in a utopian system, each problem they claim to have gets automatically heard with special pleading yet they expect the rest of us to fall prey to capitalism and to put up with being ignored and walked upon. by and large they are hypocrites.

It's rare that a politicians death makes me pause for thought though as usually I crack open the champagne. This is one of those rare cases however. Usually someone with one eye on the next life doesn't really spend this life being grasping and greedy etc.

ON THE ONE ROAD

Has any one ever looked at the effects of the whip system on TD's mental health? any comment on the deceased minister Mcentee, which i have seen and heard across the spectrum seems to sugest he was someone with a lot of sympathy in him and thats a good thing but in a system where you are expected to leave your brain and your hart at the door can it be healthy. its a blockage. as a representative he had pressure from his electorate to take a course of action and the other side pressure from the whip to hold a line. think leo should take a look at that angle before he clamps down on free speech.

Alan Alda

The whole 'cyber abuse' thing is a red herring. Society is to blame.
The interwebs is just an easy target for a lazy media and an even lazier populace/electorate.

irishpancake

I wonder does Kathleen have any idea at all as to who murdered Larry White??

Saor Éire (1967

On the 10 June 1975, Larry White, a leading Saor Éire activist from Cork was shot several times on Mount Eden Road. He died of his injuries a short time later.

The Official IRA are widely believed to have been responsible for the killing with a number of members claiming that White had aided the INLA in shooting and injuring Sean Garland in Ballymun in March of that year.

In 1976 number of members of Official Republican Movement were convicted of the murder of Larry White among them Bernard Lynch (the husband of Labour party TD Kathleen Lynch) the case was later quashed on the basis of evidence at the original trial was no longer admissible.

Does she have any care at all of the impact of a murder of a son or loved one on their family and is she going to do anything about that??

pippakin

Having some experience of on line abuse I can say that its horrible and leaves lasting scars. The abuse being anonymous the poster/s can allow themselves the luxury of being far more aggressive than they would be if one met the creatures anywhere else.

Having said that of all the people who should be used to abuse and well able to deal with it politicians top the list. I think if Shane McEntee had problems they began outside his political career and it may be that however easy it is to blame the online world its almost certainly a more personal matter that caused the most serious of his problems.

I do know what its like and I know what its like to be a member of a family that dreads to hear what the cause of death was.

scolairebocht

I think in general people in public life should not be treated worse than the rest of us that way. Good serious criticism of serious issues is all to the good but it is not right going on and on about stupid, small or clearly personal things and unfortunately thats what some people do now. Personally I think any tax matters - after all the Revenue Commissioners are not always right - or minor laws, like motoring ones, or insignificant issues to do with expenses like ink, should be ignored with the realisation that we are all human and make mistakes. We wouldn't want our Public Representatives to be anything other than human in my opinion.

But I think this talk of 'cyber bullying' in 'social media' which has arisen has a suspicious timing with all the proposals out there to 'properly regulate and police,' meaning censor, information on the internet, which is obviously what crooked politicians would like to do. Shane was definitely not one such but there are others out there with such an agenda and I think we should be wary of them.

Anyway there is one thing perfectly clear to me, there is no way this had anything whatsoever to do with the death of Shane MacEntee. I mean its utterly ludricous reading some of these reports, he is supposed to have been under pressure because somebody was killed by traffic in Slane and he had wanted to improve the roads there etc, I mean I ask you? Thats unbelievably insulting stuff when you consider the rounded life that Shane had led. After all he even played football in Meath and managed many teams there and have any of you on here gone to a Meath GAA match may I enquire? Its not always noted as a playground for those of an unduly delicate disposition! Then a guy like that is going to commit suicide because of some very mild criticism, a person with so many friends and the head of a close knit family etc?

I believe that we still await a plausible explanation to support the theory that he died by suicide...

lying eyes

s

Do you agree with her ?

cYp
No I do not. Our politicians have and are abusing the citizens of this Country for years. Their arrogance is beyond belief. Let one of them stand up and justify their salaries and pensions, which are one of the highest in Europe, even though we are one of the smallest countries. Everybody knows that they cannot justify these costs. Now Lynch can spend money,which she has taken from carers to, pamper these spoilt politicians. If they cannot stand the heat, please feck off. The cutting of the carers allowence, to me is one of the most inhumane actions taken by any Goverment. I think that in general the people of this Country have shown great restraint....

TommyO'Brien

Deputy McEntee was one vulnerable individual in a nest of absolute vipers. My suspicions are that pressure from Dail colleagues had far more to do with his death than random online abuse he probably didn't even get to read.
Your suspicions are wrong. And yes, he did read online abuse. It is impossible not to see it. They see it. Their families see it. Their children are subject to it.

Popular Threads

Most Replies