• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are public servants still getting annual increments?

Proposition Joe

Have automatic salary increments also been frozen?

If not, won't this result in many or even most public servants coming out about even over the year?

Since the pension levy is tax deductable, it'll cost most public servants, what, %5 or less?

And annual increments are what on average, a tad shy of of 5%?

Well at least that's it looks like for the junior Clerical Officer that everyone is so concerned about.

I'm sure either my arithmetic or reasoning on this will be shot down in quick order. But please don't go pulling the heart-strings for those on LS2 at the top of their scale. Seeing all the beal-bochting was based on the young CO/teacher/guard/nurse just starting out.

My understanding is that increments are still being paid. Increments are very variable in % terms depending on which scale and what point on the scale you are at. They are fairly stable in absolute terms. In my case I will re-cover about 30% of what I've lost (net) when my increment is payable next December. Will be different for everyone though. I wouldn't expect to hold onto that 30% for too long though as we will all have lots of lovely new taxes to pay in 2010.
Using a slightly out of date payscale (June07) for a Clerical Officer on midpoint of the scale the Levy would cause their net pay to fall by 11 euro per week. Their increment of approx 20 euro per week gross would put them back slightly ahead of where they started but only very marginally.

spidermom

I thought increments WERE frozen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conor

How do they work?
If you're good enough, your boss signs a form approving your progress one point up the pre-defined scale. If you're not, your boss doesn't sign the form.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Underlines that the higher-paid public-sector are the new aristocracy. They are lording it over the rest of us.

miju

after I pay my new pension levy on the 1st March I get my increment on the 3rd March (just lucky that was my civil service start date).

So all in all I'll be getting a whopping €6 a week for this years increment :(

Still though prefer that to not having a job and €6 a week extra is miles better than the people being put on protective notice , half weeeks etc in the private sector

Conor

Across the entire public service how many didn't get their increment last year? 100, maybe? Am I warm?
75,000, maybe?
Are the figures in the public domain?

riker1969

Oh christ almighty-another bloody Public sector rant! Look it up on the internet you lazy repetitive twat.

riker1969

Have automatic salary increments also been frozen?

If not, won't this result in many or even most public servants coming out about even over the year?

Since the pension levy is tax deductable, it'll cost most public servants, what, %5 or less?

And annual increments are what on average, a tad shy of of 5%?

Well at least that's it looks like for the junior Clerical Officer that everyone is so concerned about.

I'm sure either my arithmetic or reasoning on this will be shot down in quick order. But please don't go pulling the heart-strings for those on LS2 at the top of their scale. Seeing all the beal-bochting was based on the young CO/teacher/guard/nurse just starting out.
Jaysus-5% an increment?? Where do you get your info from-noddy? Teachers have the longest pay scale in the public service and there are years when you dont get them. Im on a pause-no increment for 3 years then I get one then another pause. Dont be so lazy look it up and stop obsessing about the public service. There is more to life.

Dreaded_Estate

Jaysus-5% an increment?? Where do you get your info from-noddy? Teachers have the longest pay scale in the public service and there are years when you dont get them. Im on a pause-no increment for 3 years then I get one then another pause. Dont be so lazy look it up and stop obsessing about the public service. There is more to life.

I'm no fan of PS bashing and I feel sorry for the PS having to take pay freezes and cuts but the reality is that the country is rapidly running out of money and we have to cut expenditure AND raise taxes.

polcol

Increments cost about 250 million a year across the public service. There are a myriad of scales and their award is automatic by and large. Indiscipline or failure to complete professional training can mean non award. This is more common than people think. If the government want to save the amount charge a levy 250 million on the entire public service as non award is very unfair to the lowest paid. The government will have no choice to take lots more from the public service and the equally large budget of welfare.

History Student

The keeping of the increment is the strike prevention measure. what the Cowen giveth the Cowen taketh away, roll on the cuts for the Banking, Construction (did they pay any tax for their nixers during the boom) sector and the employers.

third level fees for households earning over 150k will prevent little Sorca and Ross getting a runaround but their leech parents need to pay.

havesomeimagination

i'm on a temporary PS contract ending in july so no increments or pension for me - ever. i already have to pay into the pension scheme & will now be hit by the pension levy as well, which supposedly compensates for the job security i don't have and a pension i'll never get. i've already been told there are no new contracts when this one ends.

riker1969

Im genuinely sorry for you. Spent 8 years Temporary -8 years I now have to buy back. Do you have a mortgage?

havesomeimagination