• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are Red Traffic Lights just there for decoration ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

On a recent visit to New York i was amazed to see traffic cops stalking cars at junctions. Stealthily watching to see if anybody jumps a red light or oversteps the white line.

It seems that Parking and Speeding offences are pretty well policed on our roads. So, what are your observations on Red Lights ? Does it seem to you that an Amber light is an instruction to accelerate or is it just my imagination ? Maybe you were in an accident at a set of traffic lights ? Or maybe unfairly done for breaking a red light ?
Opinions please, especially from those who have lived abroad.
Are Red traffic Lights just there for decoration ?
Please keep the discussion polite and respectful.
Is it time for red-light cameras? | Pacific Daily News | guampdn.com

hiding behind a poster

I remember reading "What traffic lights mean - Irish version" a while back. It went something like this:

Green - back straight of a Grand Prix.

Amber - accelerate.

Red - last three.

Nordie Northsider

Round our way, it's best to let the first three or four vehicles go ahead. It's a de facto rule. And as for cyclists...don't get me started!

Spirit Of Newgrange

i commend the efforts of the traffic gardai in curtailing drink driving, a welcome improvement.

On a recent visit to New York i was amazed to see traffic cops stalking cars at junctions. Stealthily watching to see if anybody jumps a red light or oversteps the white line.

It seems that Parking and Speeding offences are pretty well policed on our roads. So, what are your observations on Red Lights ? Does it seem to you that an Amber light is an instruction to accelerate or is it just my imagination ? Maybe you were in an accident at a set of traffic lights ? Or maybe unfairly done for breaking a red light ?
Opinions please, especially from those who have lived abroad.
Are Red traffic Lights just there for decoration ?
Please keep the discussion polite and respectful.
for traffic

Jack White

There's a red light on the Ballinacurra Rd. in Limerick City, that you swing left into almost immediately, from Childers Rd.; easily the most ignored red light in the history of driving.

Red lights it sems, are there to be ''chanced''.

DeTroika

I 'had' to run an amber yesterday with the ice. I drive an automatic and with the ice yesterday I was terrified to brake, so of course just as I was approaching it it turns amber and with a car tailgateing me I felt I had no choice. Sh*t a brick though!

Wish anti tailgating was enforced more.

Howya

It never fails to amaze me to see cars running red lights (with amber you can sort of understand). I don't get it. So, the driver gets to where they are going a minute earlier but at what risk? A few guards out at main junctions for the next few weeks would stop the madness. Can you be fined?

Dunlin3

A few cameras synced to the lights would put a stop to it. Most drives don't seem to realise that amber also means stop.

Belodedici

Related problem is the delayed reaction of the person first at the lights, whether it is texting, making a call, doing make-up, fixing hair, changing stations on the stereo etc. just not paying attention, which results in a limited number of vehicles that can get through on a particular green light sequence.

Why can't we have the same traffic light sequence as in the UK, Germany etc. where the amber comes before green in order to prepare people to go, the amount of times I witness people first in the queue for 10-20 seconds before they accelerate off.

Reck-less

Red Traffic Lights might just be for decoration, but the yellow boxes with crisscross lines are great for parking in.:D

statsman

Ignoring traffic lights is in the halfpenny place compared to driver behaviour on roundabouts. Indicators, what indicators?

sic transit

A legal type told me some time back that the average number of cars through a red light in Ireland is 3. I do have an issue with cyclists flying through them and would like to see some of them fined.

I do generally observe them even where a chimp looks to have programmed them to randomly go against the traffic. A number of lights locally, installed to service shopping centres and the train station, do this even late at night. I'd like to see the use of the flashing amber that other countries adopt, especially at non-critical junctions.

sic transit

Not indicating seems to be getting more common too.
Yep especially on motorways although it has helped hone my mind reading skills. :)