• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are right-wingers nicer people?

eoghanacht

Telegraph: We are better than (group x)

:roll:

JDubliner

I have read the comments on the Telegraph in particular about lesbian and gay people - hateful, heartless and cold.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to meet some of them on a dark alley.

Berty

Yes of course. Everyone knows they are far nicer than those nasty lefties :)

sgtharper

[h=2]Are right-wingers nicer people?[/h]Well, speaking with the benefit of many years of study, close observation and personal experience, I certainly am.;)

Dame_Enda

I have read the comments on the Telegraph in particular about lesbian and gay people - hateful, heartless and cold.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to meet some of them on a dark alley.
Don't forget that despite Section 28, Thatcher voted to decriminalise homosexuality in the 1960's.

On the substantive issue of this thread. I think it varies from person to person, but that as a rule, the politics of personal destruction is mostly a Leftist tactic.

I consider myself as being a libertarian except on abortion and immigration.

Last edited:

Rocky

I think it's more than people in the centre both centre-right and centre-left are nicer people. Most of the vile abuse towards Thatcher has been coming from the hard left rather than the centre left.

The hard right don't demonise individual public figures in the same way that the hard left do, but they spread their hatred in other ways.

The centre is more rational and in most cases people on the extremes are motivated by hatred and anger.

Last edited:

Bonsai Experiment

Interesting piece reflecting on the reaction to the death of Thatcher. Mount poses the question as to whether right-wingers are actually nicer people as they would not react, he claims, in same way to death of someone on left as left did to Thatcher.
Tell it to Rachel Corrie while the real scummy crust of the right wing, in every country, form a queue around the corner to dance on her grave.

Prester Jim

Interesting piece reflecting on the reaction to the death of Thatcher. Mount poses the question as to whether right-wingers are actually nicer people as they would not react, he claims, in same way to death of someone on left as left did to Thatcher.

By the way, photo of women with poster is cringeworthy!

Are Right-wingers nicer than Left-wingers? – Telegraph Blogs
Strictly speaking about the reaction to Thatchers death, I cannot see a comparable leader from the left to compare with.
We are talking about a democratically elected leader so we cannot compare the reaction to a left wing dictator, Thatcher instituted massive change in her state so we cannot talk about an ineffective leader and she created massive division in her home state as well.
Won on the left is comparable when we talk about reactions?
Arguably Chavez but he was in power when he died and his programmes were still in the process not finished.
There was a fair bit of rejoicing from right wing anti-Chavez Venezuelans when he died, perhaps more muted because they were rightly worried about the reaction of the poor Venezuelans if they were hooten' and hollerin' in public.

The level of abuse from all sides of debates on p.ie would suggest that right and left are both very unpleasant in the right circumstances.

Analyzer

Two words.

Sumo Harney.

Dame_Enda

Tell it to Rachel Corrie while the real scummy crust of the right wing, in every country, form a queue around the corner to dance on her grave.
I am rightwing and support Palestine. You are confusing the European Right with it's loopy American counterpart.

S

simeongrimes

The reaction to her death shows the extent to which the hard-left relies on rhetoric. In the middle of the biggest crisis in capitalism in our lifetimes it was disappointing to find there isn't any more to them.

Bonsai Experiment

I am rightwing and support Palestine. You are confusing the European Right with it's loopy American counterpart.
How many right wingers on here have abused that woman's memory in every conceivable way ? Her crime was that she got murdered in cold blood and she brings the worst out in the "right wing". The right / left classifications are fairly screwed at this stage but in general right wingers tend to hate Muslims/Arabs, support the US and its wars, support Israel, extra taxes on the proletariat and share a common hatred for protesters with principles such as Rachel Corrie.
in general right wing = scum.

lies

Twitter
yes

Ren84

Hardly. Remember the abuse Chavez got from right wingers when he died? The right wing is only nice to one of its own.

MacCoise2

firefly123

Of course they are! Or at least a proportion similar to left wingers are. There are plenty of ahole lefties and plenty of ahole righties. I doubt they force children to clean their chimneys!

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Basically, right of centre are realists, lefties are dreamers. Depending on the context, one will be better than the other. For politics you are better with a right of centre person, for artistic endeavour, someone from the left may be more suitable.

LamportsEdge

Which of the two groups, 'rightwingers' or 'leftwingers' are more likely to be sociopathic- or more tellingly which group would provide the better cover for sociopaths?

'There is no such thing as society' is a pretty obviously sociopathic statement. And if one cares to look at any record of Margaret Thatcher's early formative home life it doesn't take long to see why her worldview was inclined towards a selfish sociopathy. They say that politics is the art of controlling one's environment.

And Margaret Thatcher was a classic example of someone trying to recreate society in the image of her own formative experience. A frantic effort to dispel an uneasiness that something wasn't quite right there by way of forcing the world around her to 'vindicate' the experiences of her own life.

Then again as we know 'right' wing and 'left' wing are mere vehicles for the politically opportunist career as we saw with the definitely sociopathic Tony Blair. I recall Dr David Owen writing an article around the end of the Blair era (Owen had received psychology training in his own professional life) and he maintained that Blair was a sociopath.

Certainly 'successful' city people show sociopathic traits- success at all costs even to themselves in terms of addictions, divorces and so on.

If you want to know whether Margaret Thatcher was a conviction politician or whether she was merely acting out psychological impulses I recommend reading about her childhood and her relationship with her father in particular.

I recall reading of various 'influences' on Thatcher but none of them were anywhere near as powerful psychologically as her father.

Last edited: