Are Social Democrats finished

Bertie's Hat

They had success in last election with 3 tds getting re elected but all would have likely done so anyway without SD branding.

Gary Gannon put in a strong showing in Dublin North Central also.

Exit Donnelly plus a rather sour grapes official statement on the SD facebook page.

No sign of momentum since.

Funding you would think is also an issue although I think they passed the 2% threshold to get state support.

Is this party toast?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Spanner Island

I think they're toast...

Things are fast reverting to 'as you were' with a bit more of an even spread... FG/FF/SF with a bit of Lab and Green sprinkles from time to time and a varying degrees of independents when voters are really p!ssed off with the party politics bolloxology... and that's about it... YAWN...

Bertie's Hat

That's my reading too, a flag of convenience for 3 independents.
Each seemed popular in their own right, I was surprised about Catherine Murphy. She had a reasonably high profile and seemed sure to take a seat anyway

wombat

I think the problem was that Donnelly wanted power, Shorthall didn't and Murphy would be just as happy as a local councillor.

Analyzer

No. They have been given a massive boost. They unloaded Donnelly the pretenscious fake into the maFFia.

That will make they sound far more credible.

Now they stand a chance.

Analyzer

They are brave in standing contrary to corporate power.

Shortall puts the public welfare before the profit needs of the dominant brewing monopoly on the island.

And CM is prepared to take on "redacted" who also has immense corporate power.

For that alone they should commended.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates

Shortall puts the public welfare before the profit needs of the dominant brewing monopoly on the island.

Of course, but that alone isn't going to get them re-elected. Both TDs are well into their 60s ... time they retired ... and who is the up and coming party TD?

Bertie's Hat

Of course, but that alone isn't going to get them re-elected. Both TDs are well into their 60s ... time they retired ... and who is the up and coming party TD?
Gary Gannon
Niall O Tuathail
Sarah Jane Hennelly
Anne Marie McNally

GG and NoT have been already unveiled as general electiom candidates

Expose the lot of them

Gary Gannon
Niall O Tuathail
Sarah Jane Hennelly
Anne Marie McNally

GG and NoT have been already unveiled as general electiom candidates

For a moment there I thought you were referring to a certain school teacher of this parish, Gatsbygirl, our own GG, was wondering when she defected from "labour" , and was trying to figure out which post was NoT.;) Must get out more.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
For a moment there I thought you were referring to a certain school teacher of this parish, Gatsbygirl, our own GG, was wondering when she defected from "labour" , and was trying to figure out which post was NoT.;) Must get out more.
Well admit it ... if gg were standing as a SD in DBS, I bet you'd give gg a higher vote than Eamonn Ryan.
How much higher? That's the real question. :D

midlander12

They had success in last election with 3 tds getting re elected but all would have likely done so anyway without SD branding.

Gary Gannon put in a strong showing in Dublin North Central also.

Exit Donnelly plus a rather sour grapes official statement on the SD facebook page.

No sign of momentum since.

Funding you would think is also an issue although I think they passed the 2% threshold to get state support.

Is this party toast?

In short, yes.

Expose the lot of them

Well admit it ... if gg were standing as a SD in DBS, I bet you'd give gg a higher vote than Eamonn Ryan.
How much higher? That's the real question. :D
Now that is what might be called being "on the horns of dilemma":D

Neither would get a preference, there are always enough harmless, and not so harmless, nutters standing in this area.

Tommy12345

This. Plus they lack the middle-class smugness of Labour.

LDF

I like their idea for an anti corruption agency and admire Murphy for her dogged pursuit of Carlos (not so) Slim.

However that's about it I'm afraid.

Still, it's surprising how little coverage they get on RTE or MSM generally. Ruth Coppinger is on RTE more than the Angelus these days. Perhaps the SD ladies have annoyed too many people.

automaticforthepeople

James Heffernan was discarded despite polling much better than many of his colleagues last year. My sources in the south east tell me that Leonard Kelly in Wexford has left them too and is likely to join Fianna Fail as they have no candidate in Wexford Town. With the FF tag he'd be a show in at the next local elections.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies