• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are Taxes necessary???

Armchair Activist

Are Taxes necessary/Alternative Revenue???

If government were to assume the role of many financial institutions like mortgage brokering, insurance. business borrowing etc. In other words to sacrifice consumer choice so a state owned monopoly were to emerge instead of private owned firms.

A serious question in a hypothetical context, presuming honesty among politicians were a giving and efficiency were practiced.

Please comment.

Last edited:

Armchair Activist

Are taxes necessary???

potholedogger

You mean a State run economy where the only choice is to consume a particular product provided by the State monoply or do without, geared to make a surplus which would cover the provision of services for all?

No that does not work!

physicist

Yes, if you live in a dogmatic communist state where the government can audit your excesses directly or in primo-anarchistic state privatizing all state assets including the Army, Police, Justice and Prosecution System and going back to the law of the jungle.

physicist

You mean a State run economy where the only choice is to consume a particular product provided by the State monoply or do without, geared to make a surplus which would cover the provision of services for all?

No that does not work!
Communism does work, in a sense, otherwise we wouldn't have communist states ... just because it doesn't work fairly to many doesn't mean it's non-functional.

Ribeye

(slinks away disappointedly)

Ribeye

(muttering, "damn commies")

eoghanacht

Hospitals/Staff
Roads/administrators
Gaurds
Schools/Teachers

I'm sure there's more

asset test

I prefer Aldi meself thanks. Great ribeye steaks.

And as for alcohol sales. Well look at in Sweden. We think we're bad with our offie rules. But thn again Swedes can pop over to Denmark and stock up I suppose, if they want to. Unless you live in th Arctic circle.

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

Are taxes necessary you say.

Hmmm, well do you consider good education necessary? How about high quality healthcare? I suppose we could sacrifice our roads to keep our taxes too.

And ultimately, the more you give the more you get back. The more taxes you pat, the btter and more efficient our services are- as well as cheaper.

Armchair Activist

Yes, if you live in a dogmatic communist state where the government can audit your excesses directly or in primo-anarchistic state privatizing all state assets including the Army, Police, Justice and Prosecution System and going back to the law of the jungle.
Ignoring previous murderous dictatorships, what would be wrong in substituting government revenue for a system that profits on something that already wreaks havoc on society.

socmonster

Are taxes necessary you say.

Hmmm, well do you consider good education necessary? How about high quality healthcare? I suppose we could sacrifice our roads to keep our taxes too.

And ultimately, the more you give the more you get back. The more taxes you pat, the btter and more efficient our services are- as well as cheaper.
I think you've missed the thrust of the OP.

Armchair Activist

I seems you are all missing the point based on historical bias.

has anyone ever heard the term publicly owned, privately run/managed. Alternative means of government revenue are indeed possible provided there is such thing as integrity. Laugh all you want, its something that should be done.

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

I think you've missed the thrust of the OP.
They are necessary for the upkeep of society.

People who promote pure free market principles simply ignore the fact that zero taxation just isn't feasible due to their ideological viewpoint.

pippakin

The way our taxes are and have been squandered I can see the argument against but on the whole, by and large, all things considered and taking one thing with another: YES!

shenana

If government were to assume the role of many financial institutions like mortgage brokering, insurance. business borrowing etc. In other words to sacrifice consumer choice so a state owned monopoly were to emerge instead of private owned firms.

A serious question in a hypothetical context, presuming honesty among politicians were a giving and efficiency were practiced.

Please comment.
Why won't anybody love to pay taxes?

Anyway from tomorrow automatic business loan begins.

socmonster

They are necessary for the upkeep of society.

People who promote pure free market principles simply ignore the fact that zero taxation just isn't feasible due to their ideological viewpoint.
The OP suggested replacing taxation with the profits from state-run, profit making institutions. It's nothing to do with free market ideologies at all.

Socratus O' Pericles

Please comment.

What -- the workers to control the means of production and distribution and share the benefits equitably amongst themselves? It'll never catch on.

R

Ramps

Please comment.
1. How would you judge if the services are providing the user with good value for money?

2. Is the primary function of the CEO or whoever to run a profitable business or to serve the 'needs' of society? For e.g., would young male drivers from Donegal have to pay more for their insurance policies than some little sweetheart from Foxrock would have to pay.

shenana

The OP suggested replacing taxation with the profits from state-run, profit making institutions. It's nothing to do with free market ideologies at all.
Like some idiot thought when you walk to your bank and collect money in your business account in communism community they'll try to stich you with, even fake currency, thinking it's a stolen money from the state, what aworld even uniform men are among in the mutiny. When I am only collecting my oil money.

Last edited: