Are the Guards Corrupt? Are the Guards Out of Control?

civic_critic

I believe every 10 years or so the Metropolitan Police in London do an anti-corruption trawl through their ranks. Each time they do so they uncover hundreds of bent coppers - drugs, backhanders, convenient loss of case files, extortion, etc., etc.

To my knowledge in the whole history of this state there has been no similar systematic trawl through garda ranks (I may be wrong). If the current clutch of small minded self-serving gombeens who run this country want me to believe that significant numbers of garda are not up to every sort of racket and criminal thuggery, then I would have to ask them to excuse me before grabbing their florid, overfed faces and shoving them, sneer first, down the nearest toilet bowl.

Many cops own pubs i believe or have interests in them. Many cops, in my own personal experience, are sneering, aggressive, unhelpful and not a million miles away from the kind of thugs you imagine they are supposed to be there to protect you against. The Guards are, basically, out of control.

This is apart from any considerations of the need for the 'thin blue line' and doesn't, of course, relate to those who aren't bent or who have acted well. It is about that which is rotten in the guards in this state.

martin TYRONE

Good post CC.

campbeca

I dont agree the gardai are out of control but they could improve in many respects and the trawl you are talking about could help in that respect.

Priority 1 for me is getting them out of bus lanes and onto Westmoreland street at 3.00am

martin TYRONE

This nonsense of Gardai investigating Gardai has to stop as well---and the compromise the Mc do do keeps using - an inquiry with a minority of civilians on a pannel with a majority of serving/retired Gardai to investigate Gardai is a load of tripe as well.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
Do you think it would be useful to have a Garda Ombudsman here, like they do for the PSNI up north?

martin TYRONE

agora said:
Do you think it would be useful to have a Garda Ombudsman here, like they do for the PSNI up north?
Hell yeah---Patten reforms should be fully implemented north and south.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
martin TYRONE said:
agora said:
If the Patten reforms and the Ombudsman have worked so well, how come SF still aren't sitting on Police Boards?

martin TYRONE

agora said:
martin TYRONE said:
agora said:
If the Patten reforms and the Ombudsman have worked so well, how come SF still aren't sitting on Police Boards?

It has never been given the chance to work so well----in the north we have Patten ultra-lite---but in the proposals there is great potential if they were implemented in their entirety.

martin TYRONE

Irish Corruption Gardai Archived Po... From WPThemes.Info | Powered By WordPress

martin TYRONE

Sorry folks above was my attempt to provide a link with Gavin Sheridans ---Corruption in Irish society.

martin TYRONE

BBoru said:
Congratulations, that has to be the longest post ever!

Did you read it ?

mbari hogun

I don't see why anyone could oppose this idea. Even the best police forces are not above corruption and thuggery, and let's face it, the Guards aren't exactly the world's finest.

pobail

I used to think that half the stories about the Gardai assaulting young fellas, intimidating people, etc. were all just exagerations by little shits that thought it made them look hard.

Since joining SF I have experienced it first hand what they are really like. If they do the kind of thing they do to political activists who know their rights, I can only imagine what they do to some young fella acting the gobshite.

Terry Mac

Ever see the way McDowell always says "This is the subject of an ongoing Garda investigation and I'm not going to comment on it in case I prejudice the outcome", except when it comes to anything remotely linked with SF or the IRA - suddenly he's blowing his trumpet off - "It was the IRA" , "Mr Murphy is lying" , "I was proven right about the Northern Bank" etc. Numpty

civic_critic

Interesting how so few people on this site have any opinion about the police or questions about their conduct & probity. I wonder why that is?
(Apart from it being because martin killed the thread with the longest post in history)

edifice.

48hrs. That'll open your eyes!

martin TYRONE

civic_critic said:
Interesting how so few people on this site have any opinion about the police or questions about their conduct & probity. I wonder why that is?
(Apart from it being because martin killed the thread with the longest post in history)

Sorry CC it was intended to be a link to Galvin Sheridans Corruption in Irish Society----always worth a read-----JUST something went wrong somewhere.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
There needs to be a much greater effort to change the culture of those within An Garda Siochana. There are many decent guards out there, but also a fair few who simply should not be in the force. One of my friends is a guard and I remember talking to him when he was still in Templemore and him telling me that there were several lads in his class who liked to boast about how they were going to beat the crap out of anyone who gave them lip once they had properly started in the job. I've no doubt that most of those guys were only talking shite and probably would never do anything of the sort, but even if there were just a couple who were serious, that's far too many.

Risteard

martin TYRONE said:
there is great potential if they were implemented in their entirety.
Great potential for the strengthening of English rule in Ireland, indeed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom