Are the IFA embarrassed by their guest list?

Mickeymac

second paralympic gold medallist from Team Ireland has confirmed he was not invited to an event to mark the re-opening of Windsor Park stadium.
"I wasn't ever contacted and neither was my agent about the situation or the event taking place," Michael McKillop told Radio Ulster's Talkback.
Fellow gold medallist Jason Smyth earlier questioned why he did not get invited.
The Irish Football Association said it did not intend to cause any offence.
The Lap of Legends event on Saturday night was organised to mark the redevelopment of the Belfast stadium. It is the home ground of the Northern Ireland football team.
The BBC understands that Olympic boxers Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlan, both from Team Ireland, did not receive invitations. Both said that if they had been invited, they would have considered going.
McKillop, who has won four gold medals at three Paralympic events, said: "It's really unfortunate. It's very disappointing on my part because I represent the island of Ireland and I always state that whenever I compete.

<Mod> Text removed. </Mod>

I find this absolutely appalling and it would appear to me NI sporting organisations like the IFA, together with their unionist politicos need not worry about other folk trying to 'do NI down' whilst they are around.

Disastrous piece of 'PR', what do our contributors say?

Michael McKillop and Jason Smyth question IFA Windsor Park 'snub' - BBC News

Last edited by a moderator:

between the bridges

the IFA explained it was an oversight and he was welcome to come along by which stage, he had already made other plans.

In a statement, the IFA said: "The idea of the Lap of Legends was to bring some famous fans from the world of sport, TV and music together in one place along with other supporters and the football family to celebrate the opening of the new National Football Stadium at Windsor Park.
"There was a short 20-minute window in which to stage the event, so we were limited in terms of the number of people that we could invite.
"We did not intend to cause any offence to Jason or anyone else who was not part of the pre-match event.
"The Irish FA would be delighted to welcome Jason to the National Football Stadium at Windsor Park in the future."

[video=youtube;gyHtSO2TvKU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=162&v=gyHtSO2TvKU[/video]

Marcella

Well it certainly was disastrous PR for the opening game in their 18k stadium.

A simple question has yet to be answered...

What was the criteria that seen some medal winners invited but others not ?

We know what the criteria was, but some honesty from the IFA would be nice. So come on IFA, tell us why some medal winners were invited but others not ?

mac tíre

the IFA explained it was an oversight and he was welcome to come along by which stage, he had already made other plans.

In a statement, the IFA said: "The idea of the Lap of Legends was to bring some famous fans from the world of sport, TV and music together in one place along with other supporters and the football family to celebrate the opening of the new National Football Stadium at Windsor Park.
"There was a short 20-minute window in which to stage the event, so we were limited in terms of the number of people that we could invite.
"We did not intend to cause any offence to Jason or anyone else who was not part of the pre-match event.
"The Irish FA would be delighted to welcome Jason to the National Football Stadium at Windsor Park in the future."

Further down your link Bridgey:

However, journalist and commentator Hugh Jordan said there was "an ongoing ethos and malaise that comes through Northern Ireland football that manifests itself at international matches where anything to do with Ireland at all is excluded".
Despite the excuses presently being made by the IFA, I'd say they wouldn't have even thought of inviting these guys (in line with Hugh Jordan's view above).

Anyway, I also see it as a storm in a teacup.

But, lads, Charlie Lawson?

I know Bridgey has posters of him on his wall and subscribes to the monthly 'Charlie Lawson In His Nudies' but... c'mon de fúck... Charlie Lawson? Yiz are hard up, lads.

Round tower

Did medal winners who repersent Team GB at the Olympics and the Par-Olympics were they invited, if they were it is sectarianism and does nothing to heal the rift, if they were not, no story

vivabrigada

Paddy Barnes should have been a free one with his close friend Carl Frampton. The IFA have failed again.

Marcella

Paddy Barnes should have been a free one with his close friend Carl Frampton. The IFA have failed again.
The interesting question for me is whether this sectarian decision was taken with institutional bias or did the institution fear fan reaction and allow the mob to make the decision for them ?

Mickeymac

Did medal winners who repersent Team GB at the Olympics and the Par-Olympics were they invited, if they were it is sectarianism and does nothing to heal the rift, if they were not, no story

You got it RT, wtf has a two bit day time soap opera clown got to do with all of this, how many medals did he win?

Maybe he was good for a verse or two of the Billyboys?...............etc etc.

Northsideman

Was Neil Lennon invited?

Mickeymac

The interesting question for me is whether this sectarian decision was taken with institutional bias or did the institution fear fan reaction and allow the mob to make the decision for them ?

Most likely a bit of both Marcella, history tells us they are steeped in it.

64 years ago a boxer called John McNally from West Belfast won silver in Helsinki, the first Olympic medal by any Irish fighter and after much huffing and puffing the unionists at Belfast City Hall decided to acknowledge his victory.............he would be given an award by the High Sheriff............provided he did not wear the Irish Olympic jacket.................I sh1t you not folks.

Northsideman

He could'nt make it so they invited James McClean instead, unfortunately he was not available either as he was on International duty.

Seriously if he had been invited it would have shown real change and intent on real change on many levels both by the IFA and the supporters who previously so vilely abused and denigrated him assuming they did in fact welcome him.

Marcella

Most likely a bit of both Marcella, history tells us they are steeped in it.

64 years ago a boxer called John McNally from West Belfast won silver in Helsinki, the first Olympic medal by any Irish fighter and after much huffing and puffing the unionists at Belfast City Hall decided to acknowledge his victory.............he would be given an award by the High Sheriff............provided he did not wear the Irish Olympic jacket.................I sh1t you not folks.
Sadly that story doesn't surprise me at all, nor most other people I suspect.

In the last few weeks alone we've had a renaming of an Irish named boat, a snub to Team Ireland athletes and unwanted suprematist marches through Catholic areas.

It's very clear that the major political and social objective of the 21st century will be to wean unionists off entrenched sectarianism.

Mickeymac

Sadly that story doesn't surprise me at all, nor most other people I suspect.

In the last few weeks alone we've had a renaming of an Irish named boat, a snub to Team Ireland athletes and unwanted suprematist marches through Catholic areas.

It's very clear that the major political and social objective of the 21st century will be to wean unionists off entrenched sectarianism.

I am convinced people, particularly the young will be weaned off junk and unhealthy food but for seeking unionists to abandon entrenched sectarianism I really am not so sure.

Mickeymac

Seriously if he had been invited it would have shown real change and intent on real change on many levels both by the IFA and the supporters who previously so vilely abused and denigrated him assuming they did in fact welcome him.

If they were to have done the right thing and invited the sports personalities and medal winners who were entitled to be there I believe it would have made a big impact on many folk.

Irish-Rationalist

Well it certainly was disastrous PR for the opening game in their 18k stadium.

A simple question has yet to be answered...

What was the criteria that seen some medal winners invited but others not ?

We know what the criteria was, but some honesty from the IFA would be nice. So come on IFA, tell us why some medal winners were invited but others not ?
Those who weren't invited weren't invited because:

a) They are Roman Kafflicks
b) They are Irish
c) Or they are Paralympian

The Nazis took a similar dim view of those who were of a different nationality and/or disabled.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies