• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are the Irish Central Bank and the ECB private?

The Pleb

This is a question I've asked within another thread, and on another forum (not politics.ie) and I still haven't managed to get an answer. Can anyone help me with it?

I am led to believe that the US Federal Reserve is privately owned, and I assume that the Fed is the equivalent of a the US Central Bank. What I would like to know is - is our Irish Central Bank and the ECB privately owned?

While opinions are appreciated on this I would prefer direction to the hard evidence, so if anyone is laying on a conspiracy theory, please support it with REAL hard facts - not references to sort of opinions and dubious evidence as I have come across in my investigations - no matter how good it SOUNDS. I've no prob with conspiracy theories, but I prefer to see the meat on the plate.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Our Central Bank returned over 1 billion euros of a surplus to the exchequer last year.

The capital of the ECB is contributed by the Central Banks of Europe.

The Pleb

Our Central Bank returned over 1 billion euros of a surplus to the exchequer last year.

The capital of the ECB is contributed by the Central Banks of Europe.
So you're saying that Our Central Bank is belonging to the people of Ireland and is not privately owned like the Fed, and that the ECB is a mechanism supported by the Central Banks of Europe, which is also not private, nor are the Central Banks around Europe? Or are you?

bob3367

What do you mean by private?

Is it private shareholders?

Sync

Find whoever has "led you to believe" that the federal reserve is privately owned and punch them in the nose.

ruserious

“Some people think that the Federal Reserve Banks are United States Government institutions. They are private monopolies which prey upon the people of these United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers; foreign and domestic speculators and swindlers; and rich and predatory money lenders.”
– The Honorable Louis McFadden, Chairman of the House Banking and Currency Committee in the 1930s

ibis

So you're saying that Our Central Bank is belonging to the people of Ireland and is not privately owned like the Fed, and that the ECB is a mechanism supported by the Central Banks of Europe, which is also not private, nor are the Central Banks around Europe? Or are you?
If he is, he's right. The European Central Banks, and the ECB, are public institutions, with no private shareholders afaik.

The Pleb

Find whoever has "led you to believe" that the federal reserve is privately owned and punch them in the nose.
No one in particular led me to believe this, but there are several documentaries on you tube that seem credible (I know there's all sorts of codswollop on you tube) enough that are quite clear in their assertion that the US Fed is a private entity and not a government institute. So are you saying this is false?

The Pleb

“Some people think that the Federal Reserve Banks are United States Government institutions. They are private monopolies which prey upon the people of these United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers; foreign and domestic speculators and swindlers; and rich and predatory money lenders.”
– The Honorable Louis McFadden, Chairman of the House Banking and Currency Committee in the 1930s
looks like I'm not the only one to have been led to believe this. Is there any truth in this world?

bob3367

No one in particular led me to believe this, but there are several documentaries on you tube that seem credible (I know there's all sorts of codswollop on you tube) enough that are quite clear in their assertion that the US Fed is a private entity and not a government institute. So are you saying this is false?
Why dont you google or wiki it you will find your answers.

ShoutingIsLeadership

They are independent from political interference (although politicians appointed Honohan), and certainly are not run for private profit. Central Bank employees are paid by the bank, not the exchequer.

The Pleb

If he is, he's right. The European Central Banks, and the ECB, are public institutions, with no private shareholders afaik.
If he's right he's right. You could be on to something there. But does that mean that if he's wrong, he's ..eh....wrong?

bob3367

Troll alert, lets not feed it.

The Pleb

Why dont you google or wiki it you will find your answers.[/QUOTE

Yeah I did look it up on Wiki some time back, but it neither said that they are private or public institutions. I'll check it again to see if I missed something.

The Pleb

Troll alert, lets not feed it.
If you're talking about me, then I am very unhappy with your reference. I am quite genuine in my question, and though I will admit my ignorance in these matters, I am trying to get a satisfactory answer to my very genuine question. A troll I am not.

Sync

looks like I'm not the only one to have been led to believe this. Is there any truth in this world?
THAT'S AN 80 YEAR OLD ****ING QUOTE! Good sweet Jesus. The fed is the US Central bank, it's board are appointed by the President and the Senate. It's board meetings are held in public. There are numerous restrictions on those board places to ensure no one area of the country or one sector gets too much power.

It's not in any way, shape or form private, and quite frankly anyone who's done junior cert business studies should know this much.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
This is a question I've asked within another thread, and on another forum (not politics.ie) and I still haven't managed to get an answer. Can anyone help me with it?

I am led to believe that the US Federal Reserve is privately owned, and I assume that the Fed is the equivalent of a the US Central Bank. What I would like to know is - is our Irish Central Bank and the ECB privately owned?

While opinions are appreciated on this I would prefer direction to the hard evidence, so if anyone is laying on a conspiracy theory, please support it with REAL hard facts - not references to sort of opinions and dubious evidence as I have come across in my investigations - no matter how good it SOUNDS. I've no prob with conspiracy theories, but I prefer to see the meat on the plate.
If you were sincere Google would have answered your questions quickly, either you are somewhat dim , or a windup merchant - likely both.

cYp

ibis

If he's right he's right. You could be on to something there. But does that mean that if he's wrong, he's ..eh....wrong?
Sigh, no. If he's saying that the CBI and ECB are public, he's right.