Are the Irish up for a fight?

FalseFlag

Is it worth going to all this trouble to appease an economic bully?

You wouldn't pump lots of fuel into your car if you knew the engine was broken, would you?
Would you find out the cost of repairing the vehicle? Yes
What if the cost to try and repair the problem is too expensive?, i.e. more costly than the value of the vehicle that drives you.

Why not save what is left of our fuel and put it into a new vehicle that is efficient, sustainable, and good value for money?

Instead of giving the money from our pockets to bigger boys from the U.S. and Europe, would we be better off getting a bloody nose, and keeping the fruit of our labor? While circumstances in each country are different, ironically Iceland may be exactly the kind of model that would help us realize the kind of Ireland most of the electorate wishes to see.

My question to those on politics.ie from all political backgrounds:

If we adopt an Independent strategy to creating a new sustainable economy for Ireland, are Irish people prepared to be isolated/ridiculed in European media?

september13

we as a nation are incapable of going it alone.from independence to the eu all we could manage was say goodbye to our youth at the airports and ports.what has changed?
it pains me to say this. it is we,the people/voters,who continue to vote gombeens,cute hoors,gobsh@tes to govern us ,to lead the way on the merry dance to bankruptsy and the imf.

olamp

I really do think that it is too late now --They have us by the hasp --As That little rat Willie O Dea said last week" where are we going to get the money to turn on the lights"? We are all going to have to live in third world conditions courtesy of FF .

Chuck de Mawl

Fighting Irish?

I would be utterly gobsmacked if this nation pulled itself together for a common cause (other than a sports team or cheering for an Irish contestant on some reality show). If it requires more effort than wearing a jersey, an online petition, or doing a text vote, don't imagine you'd get anything near 50% of the population.

There's always been groups in this country willing to endure a hard time to try to change things, but the majority of people tend to stay on the sidelines, as if it's a specator sport, and some of course will curse the 'troublemakers'.

Too much time on their knees, doffing caps, sinking pints and now watching the Telly. I wonder what % of the country has any real fight in them at all.

ocoonassa

There's always been groups in this country willing to endure a hard time to try to change things, but the majority of people tend to stay on the sidelines, as if it's a specator sport, and some of course will curse the 'troublemakers'.
This. 800+ years and counting.

petervalhala

Is it worth going to all this trouble to appease an economic bully? ...

If we adopt an Independent strategy to creating a new sustainable economy for Ireland, are Irish people prepared to be isolated/ridiculed in European media?

As Prof Ed Walshe recently highlighted, if we benchmarked our public service pay and welfare handouts to the same levels of Northern Ireland we'd save enough to wipe out the deficit in one year

danger here

I would be utterly gobsmacked if this nation pulled itself together for a common cause (other than a sports team or cheering for an Irish contestant on some reality show). If it requires more effort than wearing a jersey, an online petition, or doing a text vote, don't imagine you'd get anything near 50% of the population.

Too much time on their knees, doffing caps, sinking pints and now watching the Telly. I wonder what % of the country has any real fight in them at all.
Can't agree with that enough.The OP mentions Iceland,it's a great role model for Ireland except there the electorate and political class there do care about their country rather than petty issues like getting swimming pools in their villiage in return for a wink and nod.

justme1

As Prof Ed Walshe recently highlighted, if we benchmarked our public service pay and welfare handouts to the same levels of Northern Ireland we'd save enough to wipe out the deficit in one year
No comment.

Inda Kenny

We have become soft and fractured as a nation. We lack leadership of any sort from any one of the political parties never has there been a greater need for a statesman in this country.
FG talk about cutting the number of mercs yet not a word about cutting the salaries of TDs or the number of TDs
There are 300000 students yet only 25000 went marching less than 10%
We cannot even organise a decent march

hmmm

No comment.
Why not? Where else are you going to find the 20 billion to fill the government deficit while you smite international financiers with your golden sword of indignation?

BlackLion

Heres a quick question for the people on P.ie. what would anyone of you do if there was a GE early next year. would you back a FG/Lab coalition? or would you want REAL change?

FalseFlag

Arise!

Heres a quick question for the people on P.ie. what would anyone of you do if there was a GE early next year. would you back a FG/Lab coalition? or would you want REAL change?
I would assist any new party with credible plans of action to tackle overspend in the budget of the country, and are interested in developing a new constitution that reflects our needs, and a policy & legislative executive in Dublin, and then local county managers with real powers to deal with local issues.

D

Deleted member 17573

Real change? - don´t be joking. What the people want is a return to the Celtic Tiger, or something as close as possible, as quickly as possible.

sport02

I don't see REAL change on the table, is there going to be a new reformist party developed with candidates all over the country offering us this alternative?

BlackLion

I don't see REAL change on the table, is there going to be a new reformist party developed with candidates all over the country offering us this alternative?
This Reformist party you speak of will be the safty release valve for our society. it would could put their energies into more positve endeavors.......but the party would never stop the angrier that will happen.
People are getting stepped on and unfortunately a reformist party would be seen by all parties in the Dail as a threat. No point in rocking the boat.

Sooner or later people are goin to start marching and far-left and far-right movments are going to try to highjack such events(the student protest is a recent example) I would like to get the TD's out now and fix the system. if that means ripping down the dail gates and dragging Kenny and cowen and the muppet of a gilmore out onto the street so be it. a recession won't affect you when it happens it really is a death of a thousand cuts.

the longer we leave this go on the more desperate the people will get and more extremes people will go to. the idea of original question was more aimed at the P.ie members who can't wait to get rid of FF and replace them FG,Lab,SF,SWP or whatever. it's really is like watching one bunch of fat cats being replace by slightly skinner cats.

Now make your way to that word salad :eek:

PeterBangsVej

I want real change but unless a new party that I genuinely believe will bring that about appears I would end up voting for one of the current oppositions.

Aindriu

we as a nation are incapable of going it alone.from independence to the eu all we could manage was say goodbye to our youth at the airports and ports.what has changed?
it pains me to say this. it is we,the people/voters,who continue to vote gombeens,cute hoors,gobsh@tes to govern us ,to lead the way on the merry dance to bankruptsy and the imf.
You are completely correct. Sadly we have the government we deserve as the majority continue to vote for the gombeen men and cute hoors.

FreshStart

Until recently, I wouldn't have thought so but now I'm not so sure. Fianna Fail are resorting to some fairly underhanded tactics and the public can see right through them.

I am concerned that they have decided to postpone the publication of four-year plan until after the Donegal SW by-election.

Government to postpone publication of four-year plan - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 05, 2010

Why am I concerned? Because I feel it is treating the people of this constituency as idiots. Duh, we will vote Fianna Fail because we've forgotten the budget is coming next week and we're all going to get hammered. It's just not right. The people in this constituency have a right to proper information before making their decisions.

Pearse Doherty's Sinn Fein have already unveiled their pre-budget submission. Fianna Fail are going to hide theirs because they know they'll get negative reports at a crucial time. I never thought I say this, but even Sinn Fein are playing an honest game of politics. As for Fianna Fail.....

Ingersoll

We need a new movement - if i thought there was a new party, led by people not already feeding at the trough, I would back them and help them to organise. As mentioned above, we need a leader, a real statesman and we don't have one. We are ************************************, the opposition are just as culpable as the current twats and any other groups are too far to the left or right for most peoples tastes. We need an organisation, with a clear plan to get us out of the hole and that can build a strong grass-roots organisation.

But, oh wait, this is Ireland, back to the beer, the GAA and the soaps.

New Threads

Most Replies