• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are the Labour Party using the Gay Marriage issue as a distraction from the economy?

Honecker

It has become clear that the Labour Party is not a national party of workers but rather a party to represent sectional interests of white collar public sector workers. To distract from Labour's betrayal of young people and the unemployed, they are engaging in trendy political issues such as trying to leglise gay marriage. Gay marriage won't create jobs or put food on anyone's table but it's a sure way to get votes in the leafy suburbs. Is Labour now a party of San Francisco liberalism rather than a traditional left wing party?

Ryan Tubbs

Gay marriage has fallen off the agenda lately. But they are certainly using Abortion as a distraction tool.

Honecker

Gay marriage has fallen off the agenda lately. But they are certainly using Abortion as a distraction tool.
I don't think it has. Labour Youth have been recently told by the leadership to concentrate on "marriage equality" and stop talking about unemployment and cuts to education.

livingstone

This nonsense again. If they are, they're being pretty stupid because it is clearly within the realms of possibility for politicians and population alike to think about different issues at once.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie

Indeed "gay marriage" has been kicked into the constitutional convention so nothing is likely to be done about it during the term of this Dail (at least). Agreed on abortion, but I don't think the distraction tactics are working. With property tax coming in and next year's full double whammy of full-on property tax and water charges, these are likely to be the dominant issues as people vote in the locals and euros.

eoghanacht

I don't think it has. Labour Youth have been recently told by the leadership to concentrate on "marriage equality" and stop talking about unemployment and cuts to education.

If you don't mind me asking but how do you know that?

True Republican

All political parties in the dail support of the destruction of centuries of marital tradition, as for Labour its like the 1980's they are trying to concentrate on social issues in order to deflect attention from their economic and financial mismanagement.

commonman

The Labour party are a joke they will never be seen again after the next election

eoghanacht

Yes Labour caused Mrs Halappanavar's death.

Nothing to do with the failure of successive governments to legislate.

livingstone

Indeed "gay marriage" has been kicked into the constitutional convention so nothing is likely to be done about it during the term of this Dail (at least). Agreed on abortion, but I don't think the distraction tactics are working. With property tax coming in and next year's full double whammy of full-on property tax and water charges, these are likely to be the dominant issues as people vote in the locals and euros.
The speed at which the French and British Governments have introduced and begun voting on marriage equality suggests that there's no reason action couldn't happen on this during this Government. The Constitutional Convention outcome should allow a further two years to go to referendum (not that one is even actually necessary...).

True Republican

The Labour party are a joke they will never be seen again after the next election
I wish I could share your optimism but sadly I believe Labour will still be around with at least 15 seats after the next general election, they will lose seats but quite a lot of these seats will go back to Fianna Fail, an even more vile and incompetent party than Labour.

Ryan Tubbs

Yes Labour caused Mrs Halappanavar's death.

Nothing to do with the failure of successive governments to legislate.
Are you alleging that the failure to legislate caused Mrs. Halappanavar's death? If so what's your evidence for this?

eoghanacht

All political parties in the dail support of the destruction of centuries of marital tradition, as for Labour its like the 1980's they are trying to concentrate on social issues in order to deflect attention from their economic and financial mismanagement.

You know for centuries you could be granted a divorce in this country for such minor things as being 'let down' in the bedroom to having a drunken husband to having a gossiping wife.

What you claim a 'marital tradition' is a creation of a mind unable to look past the xian era.

So if it's a matter of which was practiced longer xain or pagan traditions then we'd have to side with the pagan afterall it held sway for far longer than xianity has.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I wish that that were true, but I fear it won't be. There is a left of centre vote out there who won't vote SF (at least whill Adams is leader) or for the ULA or whatever that ratbag army will be called at the next election. They will take a hammering for sure, but they will survive (albeit in much smaller numbers).

Mercurial

It has become clear that the Labour Party is not a national party of workers but rather a party to represent sectional interests of white collar public sector workers. To distract from Labour's betrayal of young people and the unemployed, they are engaging in trendy political issues such as trying to leglise gay marriage. Gay marriage won't create jobs or put food on anyone's table but it's a sure way to get votes in the leafy suburbs. Is Labour now a party of San Francisco liberalism rather than a traditional left wing party?
The quickest, most effective and most just way to ensure that gay marriage cannot be used as a distraction from the economy is to legalise gay marriage.

As someone who is gay and wants to get married, I object to the implication that somehow these interests of mine are less important than economic ones. And in fact, whether I can get a job in Ireland is highly dependent on what the laws about gay marriage are - if I cannot get married in Ireland, I will remain abroad and get married in and live in Canada or the UK.

Finally, and most importantly, just how incompetent do you think our politicians, media and public are that they are unable to deal with both gay marriage and the economy at the same time? If we're so incompetent that we cannot do both at once, then we have no hope of being able to deal with either on its own.

True Republican

eoghanacht

Are you alleging that the failure to legislate caused Mrs. Halappanavar's death? If so what's your evidence for this?

Cop on will ye. I said 'nothing to do with the failure of successive governments' their is no accusation there merely pointing out that that failure more than likely played a part in the death

Fond of throwing out any old nonsense aren't ye so enlighten us as to how Labour are using it as a 'distraction tool' because afaik this government has had the abortion issue thrust upon them.

livingstone

Only if you stick your head in the sand and ignore current polling which suggests that they would retain about 17 seats (in a 158 seat Dail - or about 20-22 in a 166 seat Dail).