• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are there really only 14,500 more Protestants than Catholics in Northern Ireland?

DuineEile

According to Wikipedia, of those declaring a religion in the 2011 census, 738,033 are Catholic and 752,555 are non-Roman Catholic Christian (ie Protestant). A difference of 14,522.

Not much of a gap. There are Ulster GAA matches with more than twice that number in attendance.

Religion in Northern Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can the gap really be that small?

D

belfast1981

From the Guardian

Census results show that 45% of the population are Catholic or brought up Catholic and 48% are Protestant or brought up Protestant, other Christian or Christian-related denominations. Below are the prevalence rates for the main religions on the day of census 2011:

• 41% Catholic
• 19% Presbyterian
• 14% Church of Ireland
• 5.8% other Christian or Christian-related denominations
• 3% Methodist
• 0.8% other religions and philosophies

DuineEile

I get the "background" thing. But that is manipulation of data (I am not saying it is good or bad or wrong, just that is not raw data).

The raw data indicates that of those who wanted to identify an allegiance to either Catholicism or non Catholic Christianity (ie Protestantism), there is a mere 14,500 differential.

I have to say I am surprised by that.

D

Swords Hoopster

According to Wikipedia, of those declaring a religion in the 2011 census, 738,033 are Catholic and 752,555 are non-Roman Catholic Christian (ie Protestant).
Non-RC doesn't necessarily mean Protestant. There might be a few thousand eastern Orthodox Christians knocking about NI.
The figure is probably negligible anyway.

Pity there's not no Catholics and no Protestants. People clinging onto medieval belief systems in 2013 is a wee bit embarrassing.

Glenshane4

Non-RC doesn't necessarily mean Protestant. There might be a few thousand eastern Orthodox Christians knocking about NI.
The figure is probably negligible anyway.

Pity there's not no Catholics and no Protestants. People clinging onto medieval belief systems in 2013 is a wee bit embarrassing.
I am sorry that you are embarrassed.

belfast1981

Personally I feel the catholic/protestant etc on the forms should be replaced with just Christian... given both Protestant and Catholic are denominations of the religion anyway. Though I guess in NI they are defined as a 'social identity tag' rather than a religion and its various denominations.

DuineEile

Personally I feel the catholic/protestant etc on the forms should be replaced with just Christian... given both Protestant and Catholic are denominations of the religion anyway. Though I guess in NI they are defined as a 'social identity tag' rather than a religion and its various denominations.
Because after all there is no difference, and there hasn't been a historical conflict over the last 400 years between these denominations.

D

dazzler

The census showed the gap between the two communities in the north was 58,332 in 2011. It was 157,965 in the 2001 census so the gap narrowed by 99,633 in ten years.

If these trends continue and the gap continues to decrease by 10,000 per year, the difference now is about 40,000 and parity will be achieved by 2017.

former wesleyan

Amazing that the ethnically cleansed, hugely discriminated agsinst RC population of the wee six has grown from 35% to nearly 50% in the same period that the sure - and - aren't - we- the - gas - yokes altogether republic has seen its prod minority fall from 8% to 2%?
:D

dazzler

A Catholic majority approaching is due to higher birth rates and lower death rates, hardly amazing now is it, nor is the fact that prods in the south marry catholics whose children are brought up catholic.

Legolas

I wonder if church attendances on the ground match the amount of Protestants and Catholics we apparenty have?

Not a chance.

Swords Hoopster

I wonder if church attendances on the ground match the amount of Protestants and Catholics we apparenty have?

Not a chance.
What, in the name of all that is(nt) holy has that got to do with anything?

Drogheda445

Not a chance.
Even as an outsider, I think that the terms and Protestant and Catholic hardly ever refer to the religious groupings within Northern Ireland. They are shorthands for the "CNR" and the "PUL" communities.

I doubt church attendance and church adherence is of any significance to those who claim to be from either group.

runwiththewind

Amazing that the ethnically cleansed, hugely discriminated agsinst RC population of the wee six has grown from 35% to nearly 50% in the same period that the sure - and - aren't - we- the - gas - yokes altogether republic has seen its prod minority fall from 8% to 2%?
:D
"Neither Fish or Fowl" on RTE during the week. About an Anglo-Irish family in Mayo. The programme is narrated by one of the descendants now living in London. It will explain why the these families "fled" Ireland.

The most useless and pointless people ever.

rainmaker

Administrator
Personally I feel the catholic/protestant etc on the forms should be replaced with just Christian...
And where would that leave the 'my demographic is bigger than your demographic' squabbling in the NI forum?

You really must think these things through.