• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Are we being softened up for First Contact?

LeDroit

There are currently two articles on independent.ie (sourced from international news feeds) related to the 'fact' that aliens have visited Earth............

Aliens have deactivated British and US nuclear missiles, say US military pilots - Americas, World News - Independent.ie

..........and that the UN has set up an Office for Outer Space Affairs. I'm not kidding!

Earthlings to choose leader for alien visits - Asia-Pacific, World News - Independent.ie

Are we being softened up for an announcement that First Contact has in fact occurred? Are we about to enter the ultimate realm of Foreign Affairs? Maybe they'll bail us out?!

yellowfish

There are currently two articles on independent.ie (sourced from international news feeds) related to the 'fact' that aliens have visited Earth............

Aliens have deactivated British and US nuclear missiles, say US military pilots - Americas, World News - Independent.ie

..........and that the UN has set up an Office for Outer Space Affairs. I'm not kidding!

Earthlings to choose leader for alien visits - Asia-Pacific, World News - Independent.ie

Are we being softened up for an announcement that First Contact has in fact occurred? Are we about to enter the ultimate realm of Foreign Affairs? Maybe they'll bail us out?!
Maybe they will, though knowing our luck they will be after the 2 trillion they lent to Anglo.

firefly123

I for one welcome our new alien overlords! Would definitely take our minds off the recession

slippy wicket

I see a new business venture in supplying tinfoil hats to the sheeple.

eoghanacht

I hope they are more ET than V.

firefly123

Hey Le droit what if they are public sector aliens! I imagine some out there think we are aliens already. :)

martino

Apparently Eisenhower had been briefed on aliens. Here's some NH state representative who claims he has been involved drafting alien files for Eisenhower in the 50's.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrK2YgfjnHo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Former Legislator Makes Statement on Un-Released Eisenhower Brief[/ame]

eoghanacht

The first story must be Israeli's or Iranians or Russians or........

As for a list of who should be meeting them, shouldn't we be drawing up a list of those that shouldn't meet them under any circumstance.

1. Any Irish politician.
2. Duke of Edinburgh.
3. Our own FT.

Squire Allworthy

If they had any sense the governments would play this up.

What better threat than aliens, sure to unite the country and beats Muslims by a mile. Just think of the projects that you would need to secure earth and the emergency legislation you could get away with.

LeDroit

Hey Le droit what if they are public sector aliens! I imagine some out there think we are aliens already. :)
They built spaceships capable of intergalactic spaceflight. I doubt they're in the PS somehow. ;)

splashy

They built spaceships capable of intergalactic spaceflight. I doubt they're in the PS somehow. ;)
Is NASA not a state agency? Granted they don't build intergalactic craft, but they're getting there.

firefly123

When NASA find gold or something juicier on an asteroid the private sector will step up as they should. Public sector puts in the basics and private takes over when money too be made. I know it's an extreme analogy but in a nutshell that is the function of both sectors.

Pabilito

There’s a big recession on Mars, they had a reunion last Saturday night and a large depressed group decided to emigrate to earth!!

LeDroit

When NASA find gold or something juicier on an asteroid the private sector will step up as they should. Public sector puts in the basics and private takes over when money too be made. I know it's an extreme analogy but in a nutshell that is the function of both sectors.
Jaysis, this could be just what I'm looking for. I've been looking for a new locale to set up a business. Wonder what the weather is like?

Prester Jim

The PS invented the internet you are using now (with a little help from Al Gore of course) they invented jets, rockets, the first computers and helped with much of the later development up to today.
generally there is a good chance that many inventions you take for granted as being private (coz of a logo) was first made in academia or military or other PS sector and the exploited by the entrepeneurs.

Knee jerk reactions are often unthinking (by definition in fact) I fear :rolleyes:

LeDroit

The PS invented the internet you are using now (with a little help from Al Gore of course) they invented jets, rockets, the first computers and helped with much of the later development up to today.
generally there is a good chance that many inventions you take for granted as being private (coz of a logo) was first made in academia or military or other PS sector and the exploited by the entrepeneurs.

Knee jerk reactions are often unthinking I fear :rolleyes:
Private organisations and universities funded by the govt to complete projects or invent new technologies are not the PS. You would have been a longtime waiting for the iPod to come out of the USSR.:rolleyes:

Cationic

There'll be no surprises when these "aliens" appear at our seat of power, the real world that exists outside the gates of the Dail Eireann has been alien for most of our politicians for a very long time.

splashy

Jaysis, this could be just what I'm looking for. I've been looking for a new locale to set up a business. Wonder what the weather is like?
I hear that it varies.
I suppose you gaze up at the stars at night in amazement at how low the tax rate is up there.

firefly123

Jaysus lads we all have our roles to play. Let's not have a willie measuring contest. Once the aliens land Le droit can sell them stuff(my dad went to earth and all I got was this lousy tee shirt!) and I can put out their spaceship if it goes on fire. Simples!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies