• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Are we like the English?

NewGoldDream

Website
-
For better or for worse, are Irish and English people alike? Are their common traits shared by the Irish and the English? And/or the Welsh and Scottish for that matter?

Are we, say, more like each other than we are like Americans, or people on mainland Europe?

Or are we very different, are they as different to us as a person from the other side of the world.

Or are people that different at all?

And if we are alike, is that natural, or because of geography, or because of history, or because of language, or because we have received so much of their culture in tv, books, migration between the islands etc?

devoutcapitalist

Premiership soccer, watching English soaps, sky sports etc are very popular amongst a lot of Irish society. I watch Premiership soccer myself.

Excessive drinking is sadly a common characteristic amongst Irish and English people which can be seen on the streets of Irelands and Englands large towns and cities at weekends.

Monday Monday

Ask not are we like the English.
But do we like the English.

Sport / Politics - No
Culture / Philosophy - Yes

IbrahaimMohamad

For better or for worse, are Irish and English people alike? Are their common traits shared by the Irish and the English? And/or the Welsh and Scottish for that matter?

Are we, say, more like each other than we are like Americans, or people on mainland Europe?

Or are we very different, are they as different to us as a person from the other side of the world.

And if we are alike, is that natural, or because of geography, or because of history, or because of language, or because we have received so much of their culture in tv, books, migration between the islands etc?
The People of the British Isles have a great deal in common. It is inevitable that the British Isles will be under a single Government again!

This Irish Nationalism and Scottish Nationalism is a watery soup! Rupert Murdoch is busy forging a single Nation of t e British Isles!

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Premiership soccer, watching English soaps, sky sports etc are very popular amongst a lot of Irish society. I watch Premiership soccer myself.

Excessive drinking is sadly a common characteristic amongst Irish and English people which can be seen on the streets of Irelands and Englands large towns and cities at weekends.
To be honest, when I think of the similarities, the pub culture is the first one that springs to mind. And then tv habits. Not sure if any other country really goes at the pub like these islands, around central Europe you get people going for beer in pubs alright but not the fighting and crying and messing and having to drink jagermeisters because the bar is closing. But is drinking so much part of our lives that its seen as a similarity, that we share this trait?

Separated at birth.

I can't think of two neighbouring countries as identical as we are. Possibly Canada and the USA.

mido

eh, no to all the above or maybe yes or maybe or no or yes ....... perhaps this will answers all you queries
Little Britain USA Vicky Pollard Part 1 - German - YouTube

Bill

similar sense of humor

mido

Separated at birth.

I can't think of two neighbouring countries as identical as we are. Possibly Canada and the USA.
leave quebec outa that comparison

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
Yes, the Irish are very similar to the English.

For all intents and purposes, and as much as they may try to deny it, the Irish are part of the Anglosphere; closer to Boston than Berlin, Birmingham than Bonn, Brisbane than Brittany.

Look at where Irish youngsters emigrate: Australia, Canada, Britain and America. How many go to Austria, Finland, Italy or Germany by comparison?

Embrace it! America needs to get over this 'nation of immigrants' nonsense and embrace its roots and place in the Anglosphere as well.

Narcissist

Rupert Murdoch is busy forging a single Nation of the British Isles!
I don't think diabolical schemes can exist when the alleged mastermind is called 'Rupert'. It's not super-villainy enough.

If he changes his name to Diablo or something then I might take it more seriously...

NewGoldDream

Website
-
similar sense of humor
I thought of that one too.

And we do get the same stuff. But there is also humour that we don't share. There is for example the classic English thing of laughing at a man with plastic tits, and thinking a man in drag singing is a perfect night out, which I think is more niche stuff in Ireland. Think Carry On, would it have had anything like the audience here?

teapot

The People of the British Isles have a great deal in common. It is inevitable that the British Isles will be under a single Government again!

This Irish Nationalism and Scottish Nationalism is a watery soup! Rupert Murdoch is busy forging a single Nation of t e British Isles!
Sort of like the United Arab Emirates?

Hitch 22

Our supposed national drink, Guinness, is British owned.
Most people in Ireland watch British soaps, listen to British pop music, support British football clubs, have relatives who are British, work for companies that primarily trade with Britain, increasingly use electricity produced in Britain, talk English and cannot speak a word of Irish, eat the Irish breakfast that is practically indistinguishable from the British breakfast, eat fish and chips, eat potatoes, a vegetable brought to Ireland by an Englishman, have ancestor who served in the British Army and fought in World War I or World War 2, travel to Britain to attend sports events, shop in London etc etc etc etc.

Just about the only thing that distinguishes us from the British is our accent, GAA, Catholicism and opposition to abortion.

That's about it.

At least we aren't Scottish :D

[video=youtube;wqgkZDbe4Xk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqgkZDbe4Xk[/video]

Happytolearn

After 7 years living in London my observations are:

English people can be nice, warm, friendly or not.
Irish people can be nice, warm, friendly or not.

I genuinely feel you get what you expect to find. That said I would notice a huge difference in their views on abortion and the speed at which they drive around corners.

teapot

yes, the irish are very similar to the english.

For all intents and purposes, and as much as they may try to deny it, the irish are part of the anglosphere; closer to boston than berlin, birmingham than bonn, brisbane than brittany.

Look at where irish youngsters emigrate: Australia, canada, britain and america. How many go to austria, finland, italy or germany by comparison?

Embrace it! America needs to get over this 'nation of immigrants' nonsense and embrace its roots and place in the anglosphere as well.
lot of this is to do with language skills, innit?